What's new

L'Occitane CADE Shaving Cream

Pros: scent, lather-ability, almost everything
Cons: price
This review is of the new formulation in the tub. I have soft water and used about an almond size blob in my scuttle. I shook my brush out and it was pretty dry, I was expecting to have to add a lot of water but from the 5th or so swirl around my scuttle, the lather EXPLODED! This has to be the easiest cream to lather in the world! The scent is green/woodsy and I really like it, the scent outlasted my AS (TSD iced cedar wood) and SWMBO kept sniffing me saying that stuff's a keeper. Good thing there's a L'Occitane store in a mall 15 mins away!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Beautiful scent, Smooth and protective lather
Cons: A bit pricey, but hey, you get what you pay for.
I discovered this on OSL Airport Gardemoen (Norway) I was a bit reluctant to buy it at fist, due to the reviews on this site, but I decided to give it a go.

And man, I am hglad I did.

The scent is fantastic, and the lather is soft and excellent. Yes, it takes a bit more product and a little bit more time to build it up. But you will get rewarded with a smooth and protective lather.

The scent is a 10, but due to the fact that it is a bit weak(compared to Musgo and Proraso) I give it a strong 9.

If youre in doubt, buy it. If you dont like it, you could always use B/S/T or PIF it.

Enjoy
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Slick lather, nice scent, great shave
Cons: on the expensive side but that's about it.
I am a recent convert to the Cade product line from L'Occataine and have been very impressed with the shaving soap and ASB. Ok I'm traveling this week and I needed some shaving cream for the kit and I decided to give the Cade shaving cream a shot despite the reviews on here. Ok, I had two shaves at home using my Muhle silver tip brush and one this morning with my Kent pure badger travel brush, I'm using the same razor an Edwin Jagger DE89 with a Gillette 7 o'clock blade. On all occasions I got a BBS shave with minimal fuss. Granted it's a bit more than the English Shaving Creams that begin with the letter T but I get 150ml in the tube so I think cost wise it comes out in wash. Would I recommend this cream, yes I would.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: it's in a metal tube
What is it about their products? I tried their hand lotion and while the lady was gushing about it the lotion started to sting my hand! This was their Shea butter line too! Glad I didn't try their shave...
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
Well, like so many of us before, yesterday I thought to have "my lucky find" of the year. SWMBO and I stroll into a L'Occitane shop...
Woooow, those scents... UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Of course I had to buy a few things, and look at that... there in the corner... SHAVING CREAM... YEAH, THAT's MINE!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Coming home, very proud with my find, I start reading the reviews, here on B&B... AAAAAAAAAAAH.... I was totally confused!!!
So what to do... but like SWMBO in all her wisdom always says... WAIT AND SEE... :001_rolle

So this morning I geared up, and started my daily preps...

Starting with a bit more cream, than usual...

What was I surprised.
- Lathering was indeed a bit more difficult than with a Proraso or CF... but gave me a nice and quite "thick" lather! Even enough for a 6 timer or more!!!
- Shave was very good, and a BBS without any problems.
- Scent wise... a nice, soft herbal scent. Thought that it would be a bit more "woodsy", but wasn't bad after all. Refreshing and definitely a "summerly" scent. SWMBO, LOVES it!!! :thumbup:
- Price... well, I payed 10 Euri's for the tube, that would make about 14.43 US/ 8.85 GBP... So not THAT impressive I presume, but still hit me double as a tube of Proraso. But it's a large tube, so... :thumbup1:
- Package... fun to have it in my "den", unusual but it dos the trick. Looks cheap but on the other hand it looks a bit like it's "hand made" and expensive... :blink:
- Shave feeling/impression... strange actually... didn't gave me a "fresh FEELING", although the herbal scent IS, but still a BBS all the way. Maybe a tough of Menthol would do the trick and I presume that the combination, Herbal/Menthol, wouldn't be so bad neither!

But there is something else... never had this before, but after shaving I had this "ticklish" feeling in my face... a bit like I wasn't up to the ingredients of the cream. Strange because after 35+ years of shaving, A LOT of creams/soaps have pass by my face... this is the first time ever...
So tomorrow morning, I have to give it a second change... OF COURSE!!!! :biggrin1:
- Would I buy it again... probably YES, not a daily user, but I have to have it in my den.. let alone for the package... :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I can't say that I share the consensus negative view of this cream. I bought a tube on spec. 2 weeks ago before reading the reviews. I must say that when I read the reviews, which I did before trying the cream, my heart sank and it was with great trepidation that I decided to give it a try. What a pleasant surprise: it lathered very well on my face and provided a very smooth, irritation-free shave; it's a definite keeper. I only marked it down on 2 criteria: Price and Scent. As for Price, I paid Euros 16 for the 150 ml tube, which is not extravagant, but it isn't a bargain. As concerns Scent, I expected more; perhaps I'll come to appreciate it more with time. Bottom line, this is a very acceptable cream and one which I'd recommend; as per usual YMWV.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I like the scent and love the old school metal tube but I couldn't get this to lather properly even with soft water. I washed it off, broke out the proraso and it's a different class. I now use it to wash my face in the shower on the odd day I don't shave. It works great for that and is very moisturizing.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Scotto;108033 said:
Well, I must be an alien, since I appear to be the only one on the planet who can get a good thick lather and shave out of this stuff. Here goes:

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I don't know why it works for me. I get a great lather, a great shave, and I love the scent. It is like a supercharged version of the soap.

Everyone else hates it, so I would recommend that you get some samples from L'Occitane to try it before you invest in what is a pretty pricey cream.

+1 :thumbup1:. I must be an alien too. Which planet are you from? Both creme and soap work great for me too. Together, they are an unstoppable duo :thumbup:.
I was given a little tube and used it on my travel to Spain.And I agree with the poor lather it makes.I have tried it twice and with the same results.Plus I had the burning sensation on my skin.I don´t have a sensitive skin and was surprised to feel like alcohol burn on it.

The lather was so thin I had to add more cream during the shaving with the same poor results.I don´t want to give it a second chance.Really disapointing
I bought the cream yesterday, I have been recommended to try Cade a few times, but I didn't remember that it was the soap. I was supprised and felt a bit let down by the reviews, but I decided to give it my best try anyway. I'm glad I read these reviews before trying the cream. I followed the advice on using very little water. I squeezed most of the water out of my brush, used a bit more cream than I normally would have and added only about a teaspoon of water while building the lather.

I thought the lather built with about the same speed as with my green Proraso, no difference worth mentioning and totally acceptable.
The lather I got was extremely rich and creamy. It made my razor glide better than any of my other creams or soaps alone, allmost on par with the wonderful superlather I build from Mama Bear Awakenings soap and green Proraso cream .
When I rinsed, the lather did not stick to my razor, which would indicate that it was correctly hydrated, or at least not too dry.
The scent is mild, understated and ABSOLUTELY wonderful. After the shave and finnishing of with the L'Occitane ASB, my GF's comment was that THIS is the way a man SHOULD smell. I was also not allowed to use any cologne:)

This is definatly the new juwel in my humble cream and soap collection.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Wow, it looks like I'm the only person out here that likes this stuff! Pif my way hehe :lol:
I got a Cade pack for Christmas which was purchased in the UK from their factory outlet (hence my 10 for price). The first shave was a little bit of a letdown, the lather was watery and sad although the fragrance was very nice. Second time round, I tried soaking my brush while I had a shower, then dried it off and applied a tiny dollop (about the size of a fingernail) straight onto the brush and whipped it up in my mug with only a drop or two of water. After a few seconds, it puffed right up and I had enough lather for 3 passes with very little wasted. The shave was very close (closer than I can get with proraso soap) and the aftershave balm that came with it smells luscious :)
Very very satisfied!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I bought the locitane shave cream while I was on a holiday in London. I thought that I had bought a natural, top notch shaving cream, boy was I wrong! There is nothing top notch about this stuff. It is not easy to get a rich foam out of while using your brush, it took me 2 takes before I reached the right dose of water and cream. Once applied the product did not moisture as much as I would have preferred and the parfume was wery sweet and nociating, which I definitely did not like! I must say that the aftershave which I bought together with the shaving cream was pretty good in both performance and smell, but wow the cream really lacked on both! Hmm, I do not know, maybe locitane just is not for me:001_unsur

Best Regards Michael from Denmark
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
First off, I love the scent - there's only one word that comes to mind when I smell this and that is 'fresh'. Which is why its average performance is a disappointment to me, as I would love to use this more often.

Unfortunately, as others in the review thread have complained, I don't like its lathering properties. I was able to whip up the lather to a reasonable consistency, but it still feels thin and lacks cushioning.

Most importantly, the lather thins out on subsequent passes very easily, and keeping in mind my last pass is ATG, this does not work for me. The only solution I've found is to squeeze a little bit of cream back into the lather and whip it up again and this does not represent good value.

I will continue to use this till the tube runs out, but not buy another tube. I've heard better reviews about the soap, and if its the same scent and offers better performance, then soap it is!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
D
I guess I'm usually the anomalous user when it comes to shaving creams. The ones worshiped I usually don't care for and vice versa. Anyway, I love everything about this cream except the price and the fact it doesn't come in a tub.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I found this cream to be a high quality product, but you do have to adjust your technique to get the most from it.

*I soaked my badger brush in hot water for a few minutes, then squeezed the water out of it.

*A dime to nickle sized amount of cream could be enough, but depending on the size of your brush and the amount of water left in your brush, you may need to add an additional dime to nickle sized amount.

**The lather produced is thick and dense with a great cushion, when a slightly moist, NOT WET brush and appropriate amount of cream is mixed together.**

I'd offer to buy all the remaining cream from the guys that posted negative reviews here if it weren't for my own negative findings.

- I found that I needed to use twice the amount compared to other creams, due to the minimum amount of water my brush holds.
- The worst part for me was that my face burns from contact to this cream. Once I remove the cream either by shaving or rinsing, the burn immediately stops.

For the price that was paid for this cream, it should not be part of a daily rotation. To appreciate its full potential, the user needs to use this on a daily basis to learn how it works with their brush, and the right water to cream ratio for the lather they need to produce.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This was the worst cream I have used to date.

Price: In line with the rest of l'Occitane products, so no complaints here.

Quality: Poor, at best. See next item.

Scent: This is the entire issue with this cream. CADE is my absolute favorite AS splash and this smells NOTHING like it. Not only does it not resemble my favorite scent, it flat out stinks. It has an unidentifiable chemical smell that is a combination of musty and plastic. If you're making a product designed to be smeared all over the face, it had better smell good.

Latherability: No complaints here. I can see how some fellows have had a hard time with this, as my first attempt was WAY too wet. Adding a bit more cream stiffened things up a bit, leading me to believe that this cream could be pretty good given a bit of practice and a lack of nostrils.

Efficacy: The slickest cream I have ever used, bar none. Almost good enough to try to stomach the smell.

Moisturizing Properties: A non-issue for me, as my post shave routine entails alum, then witch hazel, then AS splash. Finally a shot of good old Lubriderm. No cream is going to make that much difference.

Packaging: Beautiful and excellent, like the other l'Occitane products.

Overall: A turd. Avoid it. Save your money and give it to Mama Bear instead. Or buy three tubes of Bigelow.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
Horrible, horrible cream. I've tried everything to make it work and it just hasn't worked for me. The scent is awesome, the packaging is amazing, and it's better than shaving with water--but just barely. Pass on it.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
I used this a few times as a shaving cream and I wasn't too impressed by it. I do like some of the other stuff L'Occitane makes so this was a big disappointment for me.

In the end, I mixed this with a little Aloe and used it as a pre-shave 'face-wash' in the shower. Now, I've finished the tube and it actually felt more like a punishment than using a luxury product.

Cons:
There was an irritating/burning sensation on the 2nd or 3rd pass while using this cream.
I wasn't too impressed with the scent.
Lathering took some effort and was unimpressive.

Pros:
It was packaged well :)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
Just tried the L'Occitane Cade cream for the first time. Now I have tried some pretty good creams and soaps over the past years, which includes Proraso, Nancy Boy, Taylors, QED, Trumpers, Salters, Tabac etc... This is the best cream I have ever used. I love the scent. This morning I didn't use a brush, I will try it with a brush tomorrow but is was fantastic, slick , easy on, easy off. Only drawback, is price. I paid $28 for a tube.
I should have read the reviews of this stuff - tried at least 3 or 4 times to get it to lather - no joy. Next time I am near the shop I plan on taking it back in to them, this was really disappointing.
Top Bottom