What's new

Lightfoot's Pure Pine Shave Creme Soap

Price - I picked a cake of Lightfoot's up on Amazon, so taking out shipping, the price was pretty decent.
Quality - The soap is well-made, solid, and packaged well.
Scent - Definitely a 10. The clean, refreshing pine scent gave this the perfect seat in my autumn rotation. It is not anything like Pine-Sol, but instead, I feel like I am in a stand of balsam up in the mountains.
Lather - This soap doesn't lather. I tried putting in a couple drops of pre-shave oil to see if it would help, but no.
Efficacy - Surprisingly, given the quality of the lather, this soap is very effective. It gives a good cushion for your skin and is amazingly slick.
Moisturizing - Also excellent. My face never got dried out from this.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
This is the worst soap I have tried. Williams is a big step up. All of the VDHs are vastly better.

It smells OK, although the sent does not last. The lather is thin and disappears as you shave. It has very little slickness and no cushion. I didn't cut my throat or any thing, but after trying it three times, its going to the shower.

I think it might work OK as a hand or shower soap, but it's too expensive for that, and it is useless for shaving.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
I've been intrigued by this soap since seeing it online. It is cheap at $4 or $5 per puck. It performs somewhat like Williams for me. I can get a lot of lather fairly quickly, but it is only slightly better than the Williams lather I can create. It is light and airy; not thick, creamy, and cushiony. I get a similar shave as Williams. The lather has a little more staying power in my brush between passes. It leaves a little bit of a residue on my face post-shave.

If you'd like to try a pine scented soap, go for it. It doesn't cost much and you can get a decent shave with it. If you are looking for better performance in the price range, there are many better options.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Price: $4.50 a puck at Merz: what's not to love

Quality: it's a somewhat small but well made, triple milled bar. For some reason they chose to go veggie based despite the fact that the accompanying bath soap is tallow based:confused1.

Scent: As noted above, if you like pine. I like the Lightfoot's bath bar and this is similar--a crisp, pure mountain pine scent. They use reall Dwarf Pine EO in this.

Lather: Fail. I just can't get this thing to lather--either in a bowl or using it as a shave stick. What lather I get quickly dissipates. Even when using it as a bath soap, I don't get as good of a lather as I do with the tallow-based bath soap.

Efficacy: Despite it's failure to lather, this is oddly an ok performer. It's exceedingly slick and gives an adequate (but not superior) shave. Were one to get a little lather for protection and cushion it would be a great buy.

Moisturizing: not my highest priority in a soap but it doesn't really seem to rise above other soaps in this regard.

Overall thoughts are that I won't be repurchasing and will probably end up using most of this puck as a bath soap. I'll pull it out for novelty's sake here and there, but that's about it. Too bad; I really wanted to love it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
This is a weird soap.

It produced really bad lather (I face lather), and I kept having to go back to the puck. The pine seemed like it would be overpowering. It's a shockingly artificial green color that seemed to indicate it was going to be a bad soap. I was sure I'd have to abort to shave oil, which is what I do when a soap or cream can handle WTG but isn't good enough for the ATG pas. But somehow that thin lather would provide a smooth pass anyway, then back the puck, around the face, WTG, XTG, ATG, touch up... it actually performed quite well. The pine smell was strong but not offensive. Afterwards I rinsed off and my face wasn't irritated at all.

Weirdly effective. And at the price, why not try it? As long as you like pine.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Well, it is a good soap overall, especially for the price you pay.

The scent is clean, crisp and does not hang around forever - this is good for when *you* want to appreciate a nice clean, crisp shave without having to expose other people to the scent of choice. I've found that it will stay on the skin in an extremely light and mild form for around 10-20 minutes if an aftershave is not used.

As above, this soap does not make a thick or creamy lather. But that does not reduce its efficacy.

The thing to remember with this soap, is even if you don't see smooth and thick lather, the soap on the skin and whiskers is actually what's doing the work, not the visible bubbles. Even wetting the face and soaping up (sans brush) with this particular brand yields a thin but lubricating layer.

It is definitely not a moisturizing soap. It leaves the face feeling clean and is not overly drying, but it's not exactly pumping water into your skin either.

overall, i'd rate this soap as 8.5/10
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Price is good at around $5. .

I was able to produce a quick lather with my C&E brush. Fragrance was very nice, as others have stated.

I found the lather to be a little dry and without much cushion. Still, it was slick and produced a good shave. The scent and shave were enjoyable.

It did little for moisturizing my face, but I usually use a balm or aftershave anyway so that wasn't a major concern for me. I'll keep it in the rotation especially during the winter time.

Overall produced an interesting and enjoyable shave, but not up to the standards of soaps from QED, Tabac, C&E, or Arko.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Smells terrific when using, but scent is gone after you rinse your face. Lather is weak... takes more water than you think, lather "fizzes" away when it hits a sink full of hot water... it is a good base soap for a super-lather. Little cushioning, lubricity is OK, but not fantastic. Neutral for me in terms of drying or moisturizing (but I have an oily complexion). Of all soaps I've used, I would rank my best to least favorites: Tabac, Colonel Conk Almond, VDH Glycerine, VDH Deluxe, Lightfoot Pine, Williams.

I will not be buying Lightfoot Pine shaving soap again.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This soap is a well-priced, solid performer and is a good choice for any gentleman sniffin' for a crisp clean pine scent.

The Pros of this soap are as follows:
  • The pine scent is cool and refreshing.
  • At $5, it is a good value.
  • Leaves skin feeling great.
  • Made in England since 1890.
The Cons are as follows:
  • The size of the soap is smaller than that of standard shaving soaps and thus does not sit well in my shaving mug.
  • Lather is thin and not creamy (this is partly due to not sitting well in my mug).
Raso;421542 said:
I've never heard of this soap but the pine scent sounds interesting for use during these winter months...where did you get yours?
I got it from The Soap Opera in Iowa City but I saw that it is available online from Amazon.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)