What's new

L'Homme Roger & Gallet

AJS's review is just about spot-on. It's price seems to be on a par with other high end soaps. It is a high quality and long lasting soap. I really like the scent and have used the Eau de Toilette in the past. The scent of the soap, I find, does not linger and once my face has been rinsed, I can use any AS or EDT I want. I easily get three passes without relathering my brush. If you can find it, give it a try.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
PRICE: 100g of soap, in one of the best wooden soap bowls out there, retails for around 20 GBP. A 100g refill sells for around 8 GBP. In terms of price it is equal to most of the other fine French and English soaps out there, it's pricier than most of them when you buy the bowl, but the refills represent very good value for money. Generally speaking, I tend not to buy soaps with their wooden bowls; as nice as they look when they are new, they look like hell after you get them wet and they are generally very awkward to lather in. The bowl that comes with the R&G soap is very nice indeed. It is much deeper than the average wooden bowl and seems to stand up very well to moisture.
L'Homme may not be the cheapest option available, but it is certainly a quality product, and as such it is not overpriced in any way.
QUALITY: L'Homme shaving soap is a product of the highest quality. From it's attractive bowl, to it's wonderful fragrance and first-class performance, it is difficult to find fault with this soap. It holds its own with any of the quality triple-milled soaps that are currently available.
SCENT: Being very strongly scented the fragrance is going to be a love-it or hate-it affair for most people. When you take the lid off of the bowl and unwrap the soap for the first time, your bathroom will be filled with the scent. Whilst it diminishes somewhat with use, it is always very noticable. The scent is composed mainly of woods and spices. Cedar is the prominent woody notes, and it gives the fragrance a very dry edge. Amber and spices are also prevalent in the scent and make the fragrance one that is more suitable for formal occasions. Ylang Ylang provides a contrast to the dry woods and spices, but it does nothing to lighten or sweeten the scent. Overall it is best-described as a dry woosy-spicy fragrance with a heavily-perfumed nose.
LATHER: It is in the quality of the lather that the truly fine French shaving soaps stand out. I generally find the lather of the top brands to be very slick and easy to whip up, in contrast I've found English soaps to sacrifice some of the lubrication to provide greater cushion. I have and enjoy both, but find these differences to be quite noticable between the two types.
L'Homme behaves more like a classic English hard soap than it does other French soaps. I find the lather to be thicker, with slightly less slip than what I have come to expect from French shaving soaps. That being said the lather is wonderfully rich and protective, providing an incredible amount of cushion. The soap still cuts very closely, but it doesn't cause any irritation. There are few soaps out there that lather as well as this one.
EFFICACY: This soap lathers quickly and profusely, and provides an exceptionally good shave. There are few soaps that shave as well as this one. Based on the quality of the lather, and the resultant shave, you would think I'd use it more often than I do, but because of the very strong fragrance it's something I reach for less-often. For those who like the scent however, you could happily use the soap day-in and day-out without the fear that you were missing out on something by not sampling other soaps. There is nothing out there that is markedly superior to this soap in terms of lather and shave quality.
MOISTURISING: This another area where L'Homme behaves more like an Engllish hard soap than a French one. French soaps tend to provide superior skincare to their English counterparts, more often than not due to large amounts of Shea butter used in many, and whilst this soap isn't particularly drying, it doesn't offer the same quality of skincare as soaps like Institut Karite or Pre de Provence.
In terms of the protective qualities of the lather this soap provides a wonderful, comfortable shave without the slightest hint of redness, so it is skin-friendly in this regard; but those with dry skin may prefer something more moisturising.

OVERALL: Roger & Gallet L'Homme is a first-class product. As mentioned previously there isn't anything available that is significantly superior to this product. It lathers easily and profusely and the efficacy of the lather is second to none.
It's the scent of the product that will prove to be the limiting factor, depending on how you react to it. For those that like it, it's depth and strength will prove to be another area where this soap shines, for those that don't like it I'd suggest trading it for something else as it is very heavily perfumed.
Personally, Im rather fond of the fragrance, but it's not something that I would want to use on a daily basis.

The discussion thread for this review can be found here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=917330#post917330
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)