What's new

Legion Roo and Moo strop

Item Description

I'd been in the market for a strop for quite a while. Truth is, we all are and it never ends. I had to treat myself to something and I chose the Legion Roo and Moo strop. I spoke with B&B member, Legion, several times before acquiring this strop, as well as looked at posts from other members here and other sites that had obtained the strop.

Initially the design was to be just a Roo strop with Moo merely as a backing as the Roo leather is quite thin. However, testing found that the Moo there, unlike any Moo I've stropped on before, has great stropping properties. The Moo is quite velvety/ felt like. Not quite suede feeling or looking. Reminded me of a natural chamois.

There are a few things that set this apart from any other strop on the market. One is the leather as described above the second is the handle. Now, mine pictured is a wood that is no longer available, but the wood used now is more than gorgeous. I THINK it's maple. It's a nice, light color that compliments it well.

The strop doesn't produce a heavy draw, nor is it as slick as my horsehide. Allows for nice, rythmic stropping and one heck of an edge.

So, why the lower number on fit and finish? The hardware. It looks to be of a poor quality plating type. I have not had any problems with it, nor do I anticipate any. But, compared to other strops' hardware I find it a tad lacking in luster and frankly looks cheaper. I'm talking only of the metal clip/ ring at the top of the strop.

Not sure what to put for thickness of leather. It's thin, yes, but quite effective and very durable.

I gave it a tick down on the overall value only because shipping is a beast. Not the strop maker's fault, and I truly wouldn't let this discourage you from getting one!

Roo is thin and may be prone to some cupping type behavior out of the box. Mine was. Though thin it is a good thing in that it's easily fixed. Quite often it's not an issue as the flexibility of the leather allows it to flatten out when pulled taut.

I was given the option to get this strop without the handle. I find the handle helps to keep the strop taut as need be, additionally just look at how gorgeous that handle is! Who'd want to be without that? It feels great in my hand. Not slick, but enough grip and sized great. I can easily adjust the strop with the handle to increase tautness or decrease it.

In short the strop is truly a work of art. Quite different from any latigo or anything else I've seen or used. I think everyone should get one and add it to their collection. But, that's just my opinion.

Sorry, my helper's foot got in the photo.

Latest reviews

I'd been in the market for a strop for quite a while. Truth is, we all are and it never ends. I had to treat myself to something and I chose the Legion Roo and Moo strop. I spoke with B&B member, Legion, several times before acquiring this strop, as well as looked at posts from other members here and other sites that had obtained the strop.

Initially the design was to be just a Roo strop with Moo merely as a backing as the Roo leather is quite thin. However, testing found that the Moo there, unlike any Moo I've stropped on before, has great stropping properties. The Moo is quite velvety/ felt like. Not quite suede feeling or looking. Reminded me of a natural chamois.

There are a few things that set this apart from any other strop on the market. One is the leather as described above the second is the handle. Now, mine pictured is a wood that is no longer available, but the wood used now is more than gorgeous. I THINK it's maple. It's a nice, light color that compliments it well.

The strop doesn't produce a heavy draw, nor is it as slick as my horsehide. Allows for nice, rythmic stropping and one heck of an edge.

So, why the lower number on fit and finish? The hardware. It looks to be of a poor quality plating type. I have not had any problems with it, nor do I anticipate any. But, compared to other strops' hardware I find it a tad lacking in luster and frankly looks cheaper. I'm talking only of the metal clip/ ring at the top of the strop.

Not sure what to put for thickness of leather. It's thin, yes, but quite effective and very durable.

I gave it a tick down on the overall value only because shipping is a beast. Not the strop maker's fault, and I truly wouldn't let this discourage you from getting one!

Roo is thin and may be prone to some cupping type behavior out of the box. Mine was. Though thin it is a good thing in that it's easily fixed. Quite often it's not an issue as the flexibility of the leather allows it to flatten out when pulled taut.

I was given the option to get this strop without the handle. I find the handle helps to keep the strop taut as need be, additionally just look at how gorgeous that handle is! Who'd want to be without that? It feels great in my hand. Not slick, but enough grip and sized great. I can easily adjust the strop with the handle to increase tautness or decrease it.

In short the strop is truly a work of art. Quite different from any latigo or anything else I've seen or used. I think everyone should get one and add it to their collection. But, that's just my opinion.

Sorry, my helper's foot got in the photo.
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
xa_sc_review_field_title.fit_&_finish
4.00 star(s)
Overall Value
4.00 star(s)
Amount of Draw
5.00 star(s)
Thickness of Leather
5.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by