What's new

LEA After Shave Balsam

Pros: Soothes, smell, moisturizes
This is a cheap splash from Spain with a light herbal scent. There's some sandalwood in there but otherwise I'm not sure. The scent is somewhat short lived but pleasant.

For an alcohol based AS I'd say it moisturizes well. There's some soothing to it and it doesn't irritate my (very sensitive) neck.

My bottle is much nicer than the one pictured on the review page. It's plain glass with printed-on letters in a simple logo and typeface. Kind of a vintage look. I bought it in Madrid for just a few euros. I highly recommend it. A great bargain.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap, cooling and non-offensive.
This is a fine product, especially considering the price. I prefer it over Nivea ASB which is generally regarded as a great low cost balm. This is a very non-offensive product. I do prefer splashes but I keep a bottle of LEA on hand when I feel like using a balm.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, moisturizing, cooling, price
Cons: None
This is a really good aftershave balm. I got a sample, but I know you can get a 125ml bottle of it for $7. I love the scent. It's similar to Nivea, but a little more medicine like. It has great moisturizing like most balms. The only thing that's not amazing about this product is its ability to fight razor burn. It fights it well, but in my opinion, not as well as a splash. In my opinion, balms aren't supposed to be used for just fighting razor burn. I will most certainly be buying an entire bottle in the future.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
The Lea aftershave balm is a product I've been wanting to try so I picked some up in a recent online order. I was hoping I would love it, but unfortunately it's more of an average experience. It's not a bad product, but it seems like it's more of a Spanish Nivea than a high end balm. Again, not a bad thing considering price. The scent is different and I liked it alright, but it's nothing you'll crave. In fact I found the scent vaguely similar to some Nivea scents. I wish the balm was a little creamier or milkier as it is almost more like a creamy gel which I found not as easy to smooth around. It's not like Proraso (which is loose and milky) or say a T&H ASB (which is heavier but creamy). I don't think this balm fights razor burn as well as most other balms I have so wouldn't use it after a particularly rough shave. It also delivers a bit of alcohol sting. I also found that the moisturizing properties were fairly low so wouldn't use it much in winter months. The Lea balm is an everyday, low end product like many you find in your local grocery or mega mart. The performance is average and I think the Nivea balms I've used work better. For $5 bucks it isn't bad, but when you factor in shipping it's not really worth it. Don't go out of your way for it, but if you order other products and toss this in you won't be too disappointed. Just keep your expectations low.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
LEA is a brand out of Spain, and distributed in the United States solely by their official vendor ShaveABuck.com. The quality and price of this product make it a wonderful secret that should soon become common knowledge.

Ingredients:
Aqua (water), Alcohol Denat, Glycerin, Stearyl Heptanoate, Peg-40, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Strearyl Caprylate,, Aloe Barbadensis, Acrylates/C10-30, Alkyl Acrylate, Crosspolymer, Trienthanolamine, Allantoine, Tocopheryl Acetate, Bisabolol, Sodium Lactate, lactic Acid, Serine, Sorbitol, TEA-Lactate, Urea, sodium Chloride, Lauryl Aminopropylglycine, Lauryl Diethylenediaminoglycine, Parfum, Linalool, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Caboxaldehyde

Price:
This item is only available through one vendor in the US to my knowledge, Shave A Buck. The site is primarily dedicated to inexpensive products, which Lea products are at about $5 each. Even after shipping costs, this product easily competes with the price of products at a grocery store.

Quality:
Being an inexpensive product, its ingredients aren't the absolute best, but they are on par with similarly priced aftershaves. I prefer natural and earth-friendly ingredients, but that isn't always an option with inexpensive products. The manufacturer did have the foresight to include real glycerin, as opposed to propylene glycol, as well as other products that leave the skin feeling great like PEG-40 and Aloe Vera (Aloe Babadensis), so I am pleased.

Fights Razor Burn:
The ingredients in this product don't do as well to fight razor burn as most of my splashes. I feel like this is a typical characteristic of balms, however. I generally use this product when I know that my shave has been on the low end of irritation potential. It does well enough, though, for all but the worst shaves.

Cooling sensation:

I have rated the cooling sensation above based on its intensity rather than the quality of it. This product contains aloe vera which has a less intense cooling sensation than does menthol, but I enjoy the feel of aloe much more. Menthol has the ability to burn when first applied, which doesn't happen with aloe. I'm not able to really clarify the difference for you, but the sensation is very pleasant and is one of my favorite aspects of this product.

Scent:
The perfume used in this product is a great, light fragrance that sticks with you for some time, but will not interfere with colognes generally. In fact, I think it is great to layer with most colognes out there, adding a dimension of natural cleanliness.

Efficacy:

This product works well when applied to a certain range of situations. I don't feel like this product was intended to be an end all for razor burn, so I didn't judge it as such. With regards to keeping my face feeling very nice and moisturized after a decent shave it does well.

Moisturizing:

Because I have normal skin, that is, not too oily nor dry, this product puts my skin perfectly in the velvety-smooth category. As I have mentioned it contains several ingredients that are very good for soothing and smoothing skin. I love applying it even if I haven't shaved, just to have a smooth face.

No Alcohol Burn:
This balm does have a fair bit of alcohol in it, but the burn is not intense at all and should be more than manageable for most people. Unlike many splashes, this product has never made me wince.

Conclusion:

It took me some time to realize, because I generally prefer splashes, but this aftershave is very nice. I first thought the scent was pleasant, but nothing special, however it is now one of my favorites, and the way it leaves my skin is better than any other aftershave, unless I have been particularly harsh on my face, in which case I'll probably reach for Speick. Still, Lea makes a fantastic balm that I will definitely restock once I've run out.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)