What's new

Lavender Luxury Shaving Cream - 3X Concentrated

Pros: Easy to lather
Cons: Floral scent
Overall a great easy to lather hard soap . I recommend using a god boar or badger with some backbone. The scent is not horrible, but a little to floral to be rated higher. If you can get over the scent it is truly a great inexpensive scent
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Not a soap, and barely even a croap. It's almost a cream, it lathers so fast. It's dense so i would still call it a croap, but one that lathers very, very fast and easy. For instance, it's faster to load then Martin de Candre and lathers as easy. The quality of the lather itself would not be the same though, tough good, and no way nearly as moisturizing.

Lately i got tired of soaps and the amount of time it takes to load a brush properly. I'm in the process of going all cream and some croaps. This loads so fast it's going to be in my regular rotation (which i have cut back drastically).

It comes with a really cute bowl with a lid to rest it on, and even though it's made from a plastic it's not without it's charm. Unless it will cost you a arm and a leg (to import) you can buy this and it will always work.

This will be closer to a 9 then a 8 to me so i'll keep it at a respectable 8,5 out of 10.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Extremely quick & easy to lather, nice nostalgic masculine scent, decent shave performance
Cons: Hard to find, packaging could be better, shave protection is just below top-notch
It is surprising that this soap does not get airplay.

Scent: I really like this scent. To my nose - it's certainly not Lavender and neither is it cardamom as other have reported (I cook with cardamom's every day). But it's pleasant enough and for me - smells like what many old male shaving creams and soaps would smell like. Sorry I can't describe it any better. Overall - I like the scent.

Latherability: This is the crowning achievement of this soap. It loads extremely quickly and lathers like a madman instantly. Comparisons to MDC likely come from this aspect of the product.

Efficacy: Shave was decent. A couple of weepers but they were all gone by final rinse. No complaints but more comparable to middle-run soaps & creams (like TOBS) rather than my top shelf MWF.

Moisturization: Face did not feel dry but not excessively moisturized either.

Packaging: The packaging is attractive and plastic dish has accurately been described as art-deco. Having said that it lacks the heft and beauty of top-of-line products like C&S or MDC or even MWF ceramic dish. However for $18.99/puck in the US (and $6.5 in Uruguay) - one cannot expect the same level of packaging as the $65 MDC.

Overall - I would recommend this soap to anyone who is looking for a reasonably priced, very easy to lather shaving soap.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Great cream/soap. Nice container. Will last a long time.
Cons: none
Great stuff! It's labeled as a cream, but it's hard like a soap. Soap? Cream? "Either way, outa have a lot of fun huh?" First off the scent, I didn't smell lavender. Maybe a hint but not full on lavender like Kiss My Face for instance. Very green herbal like scent. It smells exactly like Barbus Shave Cream with Chlorophyll to me. Overall Dr. Selby performed great. Lather was awesome and was easy to produce, the shave was great, the smell wasn't overpowering (like Barbus is), my face felt good afterward (not dry or irritated). The container is great for travel whereas a tube of cream might break in your luggage. What makes me really happy is that now I don't have to search high and low for Barbus any more since Dr. Selby is easier to find and pound for pound cost less.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Ease of lathering, blade glide and moisturizing
Cons: None
Wow! Some shavers compare this product to Mdc due to ingredients -- unsure since never tried Mdc.

Using a horse hair brush created beautiful lather instantly. Provides excellent blade glide, protection and overall nice feel on the face.

Clearly the best cream I ever used. A definite must try.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: QUALITY
Cons: FRAGRANCE
Very easy to lather and is quite lubricating.

Unless your a huge fan of lavender the initial fragrance is quite strong but by the time you finish shaving it almost dissappears.

Very easy to rinse off with no lasting moisturising effect so you will need an after shave balm.

Definetly worth a try !
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Very protective, easy to load and lather, fairly slick
Cons: Not a true lavender scent, packaging, difficult to find
Price: At $14.99, I think the price is a little on the high side but fair overall given what comparable products sell for and the hassle/cost that goes with bringing this to the USA. Considering how long a tub of this will last, you do get a lot of bang for your buck. Quality: Although the box says "Luxury", this will not be mistaken for a high end product. If you're expecting organic ingredients and essential oils, look elsewhere. That said, it's made up of proven ingredients for a shaving cream and doesn't contain anything eyebrow raising such as SLS or the like. Scent: Not a true lavender scent by a longshot. Perhaps I can make out a faint whiff of lavender but it's mostly a "green", herbal-y sort of scent with a slight floral touch. I will assume that the fragrance is primarily artificial but I honestly have no idea. Straight out of the bowl it's not my favorite scent, but once lathered up, the light, inoffensive scent is quite nice. Latherability: First, the consistency of this concentrated cream is like a putty that has nearly all the moisture taken out. It's harder than an Italian soft soap, but not as hard as a melt 'n pour or milled soap puck. If you can't get this to lather, you have a serious technique or water problem. Bottom line, this has got to be one of the most easy to lather shaving products I've ever tried. Although it is technically a cream, you need to load it like a soap straight from the bowl. I've tried it with a more loosely packed brush, and a dense, scrubby brush and both work fine. Likewise, you also lather on top of the cream with a slightly wetter brush using the same technique you would for a mug soap and you'll wind up with mountains of lather. I find this method works very well with this cream, especially if I tilt the bowl sideways in my hand and let my brush suck the lather into its core. Like any product, you should experiment and figure out what works best for you. Efficacy: The lather this cream creates is definitely a true cream lather and not what you get from a typical soap. It provides loads of cushion and nice glide. Once I got the water to product ratio down, I was rewarded with as good a shave as any product I've tried. If you prefer the close cutting/less cushion lather of a true shaving soap, this product may not be your top choice. Moisturizing Properties: It doesn't noticeably dry my skin out after the shave so I would rate it as quite good on this front. It is my personal opinion that relying on your shave soap/cream to provide moisture to your skin is a bad idea. If you want moisturize, use a moisturizer after your shave. Packaging: Inside the thin cardboard box you get an ivory colored hard plastic bowl with a lid. The lid can be used as a little rest for the base of the bowl while the cream dries after the shave. The bowl has a very old-time look to it which I find appealing, but the hard plastic material isn't the most durable. A more flexible bowl with a tight snap-on lid such as the one that Proraso uses, or even a screw top PET jar like you get with Castle Forbes would be preferable both for durability and travel purposes. Still, as long as you are somewhat careful with the provided bowl you should be okay. Overall, this is a very nice, somewhat unique product that is well worth a try. Recommended.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)