What's new

Laser Super Platinum Double Edged Blades

Item Description

displayimage.php

I saw these blades a few weeks ago and was put off from buying them because of the price - 'Surely something that cheap can't be very good' I thought. Well, I was visiting the same shop (Wilkinsons supermarket, UK) and saw them again. This time I was definately going home with a pack (and a spare pack to distribute to B&B members), and not letting my feeling rule my head. Besides, I had to be the 'guinea pig' to try them as noone else had yet reviewed them.
So, first glance, they look OK - the packaging is more or less the same as the Derby extra box when they're out of the cardboard. They are single wax paper wrapped in boxes of 5 blades for 0.39 UK pence a box (of 5).
The blades also have the 1 - 2 and 3 - 4 written on either side of the blade (I still don't know what this referrs to?).

The shave:
I thought that I'd better use a good lather for my debut shave with this blade, so I decided on the C&E Sweet Almond Oil cream to help me. I loaded up my Merkur Progress with the blade, and set it to #3.
First pass felt OK - No jumping or snagging, just the little 'popping' of the hairs being cut. I must say the first pass with it reminded me of the Merkur blades - For me, OK, but not as nice as the Derby's. Second pass was ATG and not too bad either, still feeling 'not so sharp', but OK. I finished off with a bit of buffing around the jaw line to catch the 'straglers' with no problems. Having only used this blade once I cannot really comment on the 'longevity', so have given it a middle-of-the-road 5 so far.

Summary:
Quite good packaging, Very cheap price tag, Fairly good shave (but the blade doesn't feel so sharp). Maybe 2nd shave will feel nicer as a lot of blades have felt for me. Lastly - probably not a blade that I would use frequently but pretty good for a last-minute buy.
Thanks for reading my review, hopefully we'll see more reviews on these blades shortly.
:001_smile

Latest reviews

hi
thought i would give them a go ,used one in a slant and it was not good, the hairs felt like they were being torn out. swapped the blade for another one.same experience . not wanting to waste the blades i put one in a gillette tech and tried again , felt much better did not pull half as much ,so now will use them for trimming up .used the other blade in a merkur 1904 and that was ok to use as well .
I too happened to come across these when perusing the shelves of my local, newly opened Wilkinson Store. It was the price more than anything that jumped out at me, and I thought 38p for a pack of 5 DE blades surely can't be right?!

So cheap were they that I wasn't holding out much hope for the quality of shave. I loaded up both my Merkur 34C HD and Merkur travel razor with the Laser blades (I use a system of the HD for two passes WTG and the travel razor for a final pass ATG with excellent results) when I got home and proceeded to work up a lather with one of my safest creams, as I figured I needed as much protection in using these cheap blades as I could get.

The first two passes were comfortable and decent enough, though I could hear the razor as I moved it over my face and it didn't feel the smoothest blade I have ever used.

I changed over to the travel razor for my final ATG pass. It didn't feel too smooth and I did get a couple of minor nicks. I finished off with the alum block, aftershave balm then splash.

Have to say, I did get a BBS smooth result, but it wasn't the smoothest of blades in getting there. Still, 5 blades for less than the price of a bag of crisps isn't too bad, and it gives ok results. It won't become my blade of choice, but if I was really stuck I would use it again.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Acceptable shave, the plastic package is badly fiished and I have nicked myself on it. However the blades are ok, and certainly gave me a better shave than the Dorco ST301's.

Tom
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave