What's new

Laphroaig 10 Year Old Scotch

This is in my top three - Oban 14, Ardbeg 10, and Laphroig 10. Different mood, different scotch, same happy man.
It's pretty good. I think this is one of the better, or at least more accessible, Islays. I prefer Lagavulin, like a few other posters, but for the price this stuff is fairly wonderful. (I typically drink Cragganmore, Lagavulin, Talisker, Macallan 12 and a few others, but I always go back to the peaty, briney, seaweedy Islays.) I'd say this is probably the best introduction to Islays a person could get, particularly if he didn't want to spend more on something like Lagavulin.
I know that some of you gents my think my scores are way too high, but seriously: Can you think of a better 10yr in this category? In fact, can you think of a better 12-15 yr Islay (other than Laphroaig) that offers the complexity this 10yr sucker is able to muster?

5-stars hands down for this unrelenting smoky wonder.
Aroma
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
We came across a bottle Thorne's Scotch 10 years old in the original box, not sure if we should drink it... Thought?
Islay Scotches are a breed of their own. With the casks aged at the edge of the sea, the whiskey picks up a salty, kelp taste that augments the intense peatiness of the finished product. Laphroig in its various incarnations is particularly wonderful, the 10-year old earning an 86 rating from Michael Jackson. Definitely a go to Scotch if you want to sample peat at its finest, a whiskey with lots of character.
My favorite, however, remains the Lagavulin 16 year old, which gets at 95 from Jackson (ah, he will be sorely missed,...) We enjoy a glass of Lagavulin in the late evening, along with a piece of Reggiano. The Scotch is strong enough to handle the cheese, and makes a remarkably civilized way to end the day. I would recommend that every Scotch drinker sample an Islay occasionally. You'll find the taste growing on you.
Now, for pure intensity, the Talisker can't be beat. We're currently working our way through a bottle of Ancient Reserve. Doesn't have the iodine character of an Islay (it's Isle of Skye,) but it is full flavored with an astonishingly long finish.
TimmyBoston;208611 said:
I have noticed the same thing. The only people I know who don't enjoy the Laphroaig, don't enjoy Scotch period.

It's good but I still have lugavulin at the top spot for this price range. There are plenty of malt drinkers I know who hate this laphroaig...it can be a bit full on if you prefer milder malts.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Value
5.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Love it! The finest thing on a cold, frosty night (or a cold frosty morning for that matter!). A glass of this and a pipe of Dunhills Nightcap is a fine end to the day. Try the cask strength, you won't regret it.
Aroma
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Value
5.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Count me in on the "love it" side of this Scotch. When you think of Single Malts you think character...and this stuff has character. From the classic packaging to the wonderful flavors exibited by this whisky, it is all part of the Laphroaig experience.

Now I know that some people don't care for Islay's...my brother doesn't. He leans towards the sherried whisky expressions. If you want to try out the Islay style...give Laphroaig a shot. Sampling at a bar is a good idea so you don't have to purchase a whole bottle...however, I can get it for around $31 so it represents a great value in my book.

I will say I like Lagavulin a bit better, but it is over twice as much. The Laphroaig is definitely one to keep around.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
5.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Xert;192205 said:
In fact, I don't know a single person who enjoys scotch who doesn't enjoy Laphroaig - there are simply people that like it and love it.

I know plenty of scotch drinkers who don't like Laphroaig. There is a world of difference between a Speyside sherry cask and the lovely peatiness that is Laphroaig (some of my scotch loving friends who don't care for Laphroaig call it "Leapfrog").

If you know you don't go in for peaty scotches, this is one to avoid spending your money on. If you want to try a scotch on the peaty side for the first time, this is a fairly representative scotch in that sense, but I'd try to have some in a bar before laying out for a bottle.

Myself, I enjoy it. I probably like Lagavulin a tad better. It's like drinking velvet.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Value
3.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
For me this is not a love-hate scotch. It's only love. In fact, I don't know a single person who enjoys scotch who doesn't enjoy Laphroaig - there are simply people that like it and love it. It costs about $52 up here, but that's quite fair considering how inflated our liquor prices are in general. While the smoke is generally emphasized, what's particularly remarkable, given that it's an Islay, is that the earthiness is rather subdued next to the tangy salt-water, making for a nice change of pace although leaving the scotch surprisingly light-bodied. Unlike Doc4, I love the packaging. A green bottle with a simple black and white label on it. Classic packaging for a classic Islay.
Aroma
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
I love this scotch. But let's be clear, it's not a scotch you 'kind of like'; it's a love it or hate it thing. I gave it very high marks for price and value, because it always seems to be one of the least expensive single malts, but certainly a real stunner in that price range.

I ranked flavour and aroma down at an '8' because, while they're both great, I find this scotch to be a bit of a 'one trick pony' in this regard. I'll save the 10s for something more complex rather than powerful and straightforward.

Packaging in a problem. The label looks like it's been done on someone's PC, and then photocopied with a copier low on toner. But quite frankly, apart from not wanting to leave this bottle out for display on the sideboard, who cares?? This is about drinking, not looking at, and I don't want to leave my scotches out on display anyhow!

Overall, a must-try for anyone who likes strong and characterfull scotch!!
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Value
5.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Laphroaig 10 year old Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 86 proof, is a very fine whisky with a great history. It's very well known for it's classic smoky Islay character complete with iodine and sea salt. Laphroaig is the most medicinal of the Single Malts. Legend has it, it was able to be sold during prohibition at pharmacies due to the strength of medicinal character. While often described as an acquired taste due to it's uniqueness and incredibly strength of flavor, many find they enjoy it tremendously on their first sip. Price averages around $35-$40 per bottle.

Smoke with a touch of sweetness are the first smells evident to the nose. Then followed up by iodine and sea spray and a touch of well aged seaweed laced oak. A drop of water will intensify the medicinal and smoky flavors.

It opens with sweetness on the palate with an oily, light to medium body. Then the smoke broadsides you followed up by the drying sea salt. Finishes with more smoke and iodine. Finish, smooth and intense, can last for hours.

Another one of my favorites and shining example of how seemingly unique flavors can produce and ourstanding product.

Here's a link to a discussion thread
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging