What's new

Laphroaig 10 Year Old Scotch

SUNA;2250499 said:
IMHO this has to be one of the worst Scotches I have ever tasted. It's beyond peaty tasting...it tastes like the bottom of an ashtray at a bingo hall.

Not for me...but I know others who like it (or pretend they do). I'll stick with my Oban or Macallan.

My wife says the same thing...but I love it and its one of my favories! :thumbup:
IMHO this has to be one of the worst Scotches I have ever tasted. It's beyond peaty tasting...it tastes like the bottom of an ashtray at a bingo hall.

Not for me...but I know others who like it (or pretend they do). I'll stick with my Oban or Macallan.
I have been enjoying the 10 YO Laphroaig for 25 years. And while I don't believe it is as full of peaty goodness today as it was back then, I always come back to it in the cold weather. That and Lagavulin are great cold weather drinking.

The 15 YO is also terrific, the peatiness is tamed and another wonder unfolds.

As for the packaging, it is in a bottle, I put a number, but who cares? It's what inside that counts. Sláinte.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
5.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Macallan 18 yr. is my personal favorite, and my youngest son's is the Laphroig 10 year. Both pair wonderfully with the nice humidors we both keep stocked with premium cigars. Nothing is better than either, paired with a Padron 1964 Annie, or Arturo Fuente Hemingway, or .......
My favorite Scotch, hands down. It was love at first taste. One of my true joys in life is pouring this fine whisky in a Glencairn glass, sticking my nose in and taking a deep inhale. I only wish they made a shaving soap! :w00t:
Aroma
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Value
5.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Simply splendid. I cannot think of a better more complex scotch. It is simply divine. The smoky briny nose which hits the palate immediately dissolves over the tongue to release a complex mix of smoky peat, light iodine, soft honey, and some very light toffee notes. It is simply marvelous. It is probably one of the most complex potables you will find. Robust, manly, bright, exotic, warm, luscious, and unctuous the flavors abound. The perfect accompaniment to nearly any occasion. I have had one on a hot, steamy summer night on the Chesapeake, as well as snuggled up with book on a freezing winter night.

I must admit, however, that those who do not care for it, will detest it immediately. That I can assure you, if you do not like it, you will really not like it.

That being said, for those of us who adore it, we will look upon those who despise it in wonderment and sheer befuddlement as for we lucky men, it is the nectar of the gods.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
5.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
My favorite drink by far. My only other Islay experiences are with Lagavulin 16yr, which is great but I prefer the Laphroig's slight harshness, and Finlaggan, which is a lot cheaper (16 a bottle) but not quite as good as Laphroig.

It's smoky, thick, powerful, slightly medicinal tasting (in a good way), and smells great. However, I do know a lot of people who can't stand the smell let alone the taste.
Aroma
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
5.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Probably may favorite Scotch, Talisker is not really an Islay, although it is an island Scotch. The only distillery on the Isle of Skye. See map http://www.whisky-distilleries.info/Maps/CarteEcosseMaxi_EN.shtml

To my ability to taste, it has the peat of an Islay, but not the iodine and not the same level of smoke. Love Islays, too, though, especially Laphroig.
I am not a scotch expert so please keep this in mind.

I first tried scotch at a relatives house. It was really good. I liked it because it was drinkable and had a very odd/different taste. It was Talisker which is an Islay scotch. I fell in love with the medicinal/phenol taste.

I was so pumped up I started to buy scotches. I purchased Glenlivet 12 yr, Dimple, Glenfeddich Coran Reserve, and Chivas. Although I enjoy them all ( I like the Glenlivet and Dimple the best) known of them had that Phenol,medicinal taste. After trying many scotches even Johnny Walker Blue I found Laphroig. I believe it is Islay malts that tend to have the flavor I enjoy. Laphroig I purchased for $35. You can't beat it for the price.
One of my favourites, love that iodine and peat. I only seem to drink Islay malts now. 3 Laphroaigs, 10yr old, quarter cask and cask strength with the latter being my first preference. If you like this one, Ardbeg, Port Ellen (last bottlings this year!), Lagavulin and Caol Ila are also permanent fixtures on my shelf and highly recommended.
My dad has been into single malt scotch for a long time. It wasn't until I discovered the wonder of cigars that I looked for something to accompany them. My dad never liked cigars (though he smoked a pack a day until he was 40) but he let me try some of his 20 year old scotch that his dad shared with him once. I don't even remember what kind it was, because I was about 18, and didn't catch onto it until I was old enough to buy alcohol myself (which was this year.) This has been my only bottle that I've bought, because I don't have the money to start collected decade old scotch. But I really, really, like this stuff. It's smoke flavor is a plus with a good cigar, almost too good.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
5.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
If you like peaty Islay malts, this is hands down the best value out there. It's better than their 15-year old, in my opinion.

If you don't like peaty Islay malts, do not buy this under any circumstances, unless it's a gift for me.
Aroma
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Value
5.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
I love scotch - especially Springbank 21. However I cannot drink Laphroag - it tastes like pure listerine that boiled in a fire. WHile I have not drank a half bottle of it and probably never will, I can tell that it is a fine scotch for those who like the character and taste.

I have a friend who is scottish and this is her favorite scotch. It looks like I am in the minority!
Aroma
1.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
A close second to Lagavulin as my favourite special occasion malt. And, as with all Islay's, the lingering smoky peat is almost overwhelming. A dash of quality water is essential in my book to bring out the complex aroma.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
I'm a long time admirer of this fine Scotch. I think the first time I tried it, I couldn't even pronounce it; but sure enjoyed the "new" to me, smokey taste. I've grown in pronounciation and experiences, and Laphroaig remains near the top of my favorite list. All the previous evaluators have said it all already, and probably more poetic than I could say.

If you like Scotch that's a good start. If you haven't tried Laphroaig it's an excellent next step. If you like peat, it's a great place to be.

Lee
Aroma
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
It is thick, rich, smoky. They do everything on site, except bottling, The first thing to hit you is the aroma. And then the taste. This is definitely something you will either love or hate. It has been described as Listerine with a kick, but I think it tastes much better than Listerine. :biggrin:

It has a Royal Warrant and is the preferred drink of Prince Charles. It was also the only Whisky allowed to be imported and sold during Prohibition, for "medicinal purposes" - allegedly anything that smelled like that had to be medicine. :tongue_sm

It is very smooth, and warming and lingers. I love just having a wee dram out and letting the aroma waft.

If you don't like smokey, if you don't like strong taste, if you don't like bold, powerful whisky - then stay away. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and snag a bottle to share, especially around the holidays.

proxy.php

Aroma
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
5.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
I bought my first bottle of Laphroaig in 1996 after seeing an ad for it in Cigar Aficionado. The ad showed a half empty bottle and implied that you would need to drink that much before deciding if you liked it.

Great ad!

That's exactly what happened to me. It took 3 nights and half a bottle, but I have never looked back.

Hands down, my all time favorite scotch and I have tried many, many brands over the years.

Funny story.......my father has been a scotch drinker his entire adult life, but as a man of simple tastes (probably why he was able to retire at 53) he has been a life long J. Walker Red man.

About 6 months after I started drinking Laphroaig I took a bottle home with me for Christmas. One night, mano-a-mano in my father's study while trying to hold my own in a political discussion.....erm....debate.....I proudly opened the bottle, poured my dad a short, neat one and proclaimed......."dad.....this is the finest scotch you will ever drink. It is smokey, peaty, unbelievably rich and simply astounding!"

As only a father can do with full effect....he shot me down so thoroughly I will never fully recover if I live to be a hundred.

He swirled the glass, hovered his nose above the rim, took a sip, swished it, finally swallowed what I thoroughly believed to be the nectar of The Gods.......and said to me:

"Damn Son......!!!....smokey hell...!!!.....that's like suckin' on a burnt log!"

Still......I absolutely love this scotch and if you haven't tried it, do so as soon as possible. But, be sure to give it half a bottle before making a final decision; you'll be glad you did!
Aroma
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
5.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Kbennett;713603 said:
With the exception of maybe Ardbeg, I don't there is a better Islay available...or maybe even a better scotch. In the end, you either love it or hate it, and anyone who hates it has likely been issued a post humorous Darwin award by now.

Try any of the under-rated Bruichladdich's, if you don't fancy the powerful Laphroaig. Local knowledge :)

http://www.bruichladdich.com/
With the exception of maybe Ardbeg, I don't there is a better Islay available...or maybe even a better scotch. In the end, you either love it or hate it, and anyone who hates it has likely been issued a post humorous Darwin award by now.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
I'm a big fan of Speysides, particularly Balvenie DW, but this . . . oh, this is in a class by itself. Definitely in the "love it" camp here. Big time favorite.

NANPâ„¢
Top Bottom