What's new

Laphroaig 10 Year Old Scotch

Item Description

Laphroaig 10 year old Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 86 proof, is a very fine whisky with a great history. It's very well known for it's classic smoky Islay character complete with iodine and sea salt. Laphroaig is the most medicinal of the Single Malts. Legend has it, it was able to be sold during prohibition at pharmacies due to the strength of medicinal character. While often described as an acquired taste due to it's uniqueness and incredibly strength of flavor, many find they enjoy it tremendously on their first sip. Price averages around $35-$40 per bottle.

Smoke with a touch of sweetness are the first smells evident to the nose. Then followed up by iodine and sea spray and a touch of well aged seaweed laced oak. A drop of water will intensify the medicinal and smoky flavors.

It opens with sweetness on the palate with an oily, light to medium body. Then the smoke broadsides you followed up by the drying sea salt. Finishes with more smoke and iodine. Finish, smooth and intense, can last for hours.

Another one of my favorites and shining example of how seemingly unique flavors can produce and ourstanding product.

Here's a link to a discussion thread

Latest reviews

SUNA;2250499 said:
IMHO this has to be one of the worst Scotches I have ever tasted. It's beyond peaty tasting...it tastes like the bottom of an ashtray at a bingo hall.

Not for me...but I know others who like it (or pretend they do). I'll stick with my Oban or Macallan.

My wife says the same thing...but I love it and its one of my favories! :thumbup:
IMHO this has to be one of the worst Scotches I have ever tasted. It's beyond peaty tasting...it tastes like the bottom of an ashtray at a bingo hall.

Not for me...but I know others who like it (or pretend they do). I'll stick with my Oban or Macallan.
I have been enjoying the 10 YO Laphroaig for 25 years. And while I don't believe it is as full of peaty goodness today as it was back then, I always come back to it in the cold weather. That and Lagavulin are great cold weather drinking.

The 15 YO is also terrific, the peatiness is tamed and another wonder unfolds.

As for the packaging, it is in a bottle, I put a number, but who cares? It's what inside that counts. Sláinte.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
5.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
TimmyBoston
Views
Reviews
Last update

More in Consumables (Reviews)

• Glendrostan Blended Scotch Whisky
    A humble review of a scotch whisky that is blended from a recipe prior...
  • Silver Bayou Rum
    "Silver Bayou Rum is proofed with triple filtered fresh water...
  • [Shiraz]
    There are several different varieties of this from Rosemont Estate...
  • Choklat
    A chocolate stout that tastes like chocolate. A rich stout that tastes...
  • Blue Cap
    Brewed in Belgium by Trappist Monks. Bold, Full Bodied, Sweet, and...

More from TimmyBoston

Top Bottom