What's new

Lab Series for Men Shave Cream

Pros: I like the benzocaine!
Cons: Not for a highly lathered shave
I bought a tub of this cream just to try it out, on a quest to find quality product. I must say I enjoyed the benzocaine effect. I have a thick, tough beard, and I found the tingly afterglow was a welcome effect of this cream. I recommend you try it for yourself before dismissing it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
My eld girlfriend gave me a tube of this about 2 years ago that I never opened. It was so cold and dry in NYC this morning, plus I was running late for work so I decided to give a brushless shave a try. I was a little freaked out by the numbing effect of the benzocaine (the label on the tube made no mention of this and it was unexpected), but I did my normal prep in the shower and smeared a bit on my face and got a pretty decent shave with this stuff using a slant and a merkur blade. My skin felt pretty smooth and moisterized when I was done and I only had one tiny weeper on my neck which I attrubute more to my sloppy style than to the shaving cream. I think I will continue to use this stuff when I am in a hurry and do not have time to lather up.
This stuff's like the original poster said; as reluctant to lather as a cat is to go swimming. Maybe they meant it like that? I don't know why they would, but avoid it. Expensive per shave. Some of their other products like the afterbalm Razor Ultra whatever and the foaming wash are pretty good, though.
I've just returned from a shopping trip after spending some gift vouchers on this tat.

Lather is a no go and for the price of £9.50 it's terrible value. I have other cream with which I can get a bowl of lather from a tiny drop, with this stuff I had to use more cream than I normally would for a bowl of the lather for each pass. I gave up after the second pass and I'm now slightly grumpy about the whole affair.

On the plus side I got a free tube of the facewash which was ok.

It would be nice if there was some distinction between cream which will build lather and cream which will not.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
AAARRRGGGHHH! ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE STUFF!!! :angry:

I've tried this shave cream a while back and my face went numb as well...I realized that I do not like shave creams with benzocaine in them.

Furthermore, this cream was not lubricating or moisturizing and it shaved horribly!

STAY AWAY FELLAS! :thumbdown:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
I have tried a few of these creams, there is one from Cowshed that doesn't really lather either. My main concern is the local anaesthetic (somebrands use menthol to get a similar 'cooling' effect) - you just shouldn't need it if you are shaving correctly - i imagine it is not just to numb the pain of razor burn, but also of razor pull - which is when you use a razor that is less than sharp on more than a day's beard growth, or, funnily enough if you don't lather up properly or use cold water!

Rox
I did not like this one either. I thought I would give it a try because I use the face wash everyday, and find it to be an excellent product. This however is of very poor quality.

John.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
Hi, Rediq
I have been using this on occasion and have a somewhat different opinion. First, it is really not meant to be brushed-on; much like Jack Black Beard Lube or Zirh, it should be simply applied in a thin layer. If you wait for 60-90 seconds, it numbs the skin (providing comfort albeit at the risk of "over-shaving) and is remarkably comfortable.
I'm a newbie to this board and would like to say "Hi, everyone"!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I bought some of this stuff about fifteen years ago, and have used it on occasion since. This stuff isn’t made for wet shaving, and it isn’t designed to produce any lather at all. You simply smear it on and scrape it off. The numbing sensation is provided by benzocaine, a topical anesthetic present to numb the razor burn that a great deal of us are all to familiar with, of course we know now that it is better to avoid the burn altogether.
I have found that if you apply it with a brush it isn’t as cold as when applied by hand.
Unless I’m in a situation where I’m forced to revert back to a cartridge razor for some reason (travel maybe) I won’t be using this product.
Doug
I second what was said. I didnt buy this product either but it SUCKS!! I thought there was something wrong with me when my face started getting numb. Dont buy this crap ever!!
First off I'd like to mention I did not buy this product on purpose, it was given to me for Christmas packaged with their post shave gel, face wash, and razor burn relief cream. The latter three are ok.

Anyways:

I had previously tried to get this cream to lather and when I couldn't I didn't even bother putting it on my face, but this morning I decided to give it a shot anyway. I used more cream, more water, less water, less cream...this stuff just makes milky water. I tried to put it on my face like that and went to shave and the razor actually like skipped across the skin like a stone across a lake. The worst part is this crap numbed my face, lips, and tongue. Anyway, I grabbed the can from under the sink and put it on top of this crap and tried to shave. My face burns, and I have 2 cuts on my neck for the first time in years. Oh, did I mention it smells like an old chemical barrel?

The worst shaving product possibly ever made.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)