What's new

La Toja shaving cream

Pros: Scent, lather, price
Cons: none
I liked this cream a lot. It has a great cologne type of scent that I can't quite describe. The lather was excellent but does take a little longer than the British tubs to lather up. It's totally worth it. I got great creamy cushioned lather and it made for an excellent shave.

The face feel afterwards was the most exceptional quality of this cream. It has excellent moisturizing and healing properties so I didn't feel like I needed any aftershave. This is a new favorite for me.

I got mine from a European vendor as part of a batch of a whole bunch of shaving products so I got a fantastic price. It costs significantly more in the US. It's probably worth it since it is a large tube about the size of Proraso.

To compare, I like this more than Speick, which is also excellent for skin. And I like this considerably more than Proraso.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: SCENT
Cons: Cushion
The scent is very nice!!!! The quality of the shaves are not so nice! I usually use TOBS or Proraso and this cream does not leave my face feeling so good after and also does not provide the smooth, comfortable shave I get from TOBS. I know how to mix lather and I couldn't get this feeling so good. I am, however, in love with the scent! I'm a little perplexed by those who say it's very cushiony.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
Great product and if you can find it in Spain in a shop it is really cheap so no reason not to try!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I picked up a few tubes of La Toja when I was in Spain last year. They sell it in department stores for about 3 euros, a real deal if you can get it. Each tube lasts me 6+ months. I wish it was more readily available outside of Spain.

I find it to be on par with Proraso in terms of quality. I think it's a little drier than Proraso out of the tube; it needs more water to lather up well. The quality of the later is quite good and works very well for face lathering. It produces a nice, rich, cushioning lather.

I love the scent! Hard to describe.. not quite as Barbershop-y as Proraso, but more gentlemanly.

Definitely worth trying if you can get your hands on some! :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Nice rich, cushioning lather

Scent is OK, not to powerful, nothing to brag about

Price is pretty good from Vintage scents

Solid performer
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Widely sold in grocery stores in Spain for about 2.50 Euros a 100ml stick, this is a fine product. Good performance (although not equal to Irisch Moos or Tabac) and available with a nice complementary line of after shave balms, lotions, and tonics.

Packaging is cheaply made and soap falls out of the base easily, but this is not a fatal flaw. Definitely a first tier product. Highly recommended.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I have been using this cream for many years.Before i have been using a Kent soap and the La Toja soap bar for travel.

In spite of other comments I really find the cream is water friendly,even with cold water.If you can have a try.It is easy to lather up and with a pea size drop I have plenty for 3 passes with the same quality.

It is really cheap in Spain,not more than 2´50 euros,even in expensive shops.

I shave every day and the tube lasts for months.

It leaves a nice old barber´s shop scent that I find quite relaxing.

The packing is non pretencious but the metal tube can get crushed a bit when placed in the bag for travel
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is a great cream with a fantastic scent. But it was not right for me, I have very sensitive skin and I found this cream caused me to break out. It also did not provide as much slickness/cushion as other creams at the same price point. I ended up slicing myself a few times and I had to re lather quite a bit because the cream just soaked into my skin before i could complete a full pass.

Overall this is a decent cream but I would exercise caution if you have sensitive skin.

-Clockwork
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
I picked up this cream on a trip to Spain last September.

I used it every day for three weeks and had a good, comfy shave every time. I think I paid 1.45 euro for the tube, so super good value - if you live there.

the scent is terrific and the lather is very good.

I think this is one of those 'must try' creams.

I brought back an extra tube and plan on it being in my regular line-up until its gone...or until I return to Spain!

Barry
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I got this as a gift, man this stuff is nice. It has a old-time barber shop smell to it, very classic, as other reviewers have mentioned. It lathers like a charm, a rich and creamy lather for a great shave, and leaves the skin feeling soft and not dried out. Since I got it, when I wake up in the morning, I consider using other creams and end up thinking to myself: you know what I want to smell on my face for yet another morning in a row? La Toja.

The tube I got is 150 ml, and will clearly last me quite a while.
You can pick it up for US$14 here: https://www.superlather.com/store.php?crn=205&rn=398&action=show_detail
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This cream is now available from superlather.com.

After reading Joel's glowing review of La Toja's shave stick, I wanted to give their cream a try. And I must say, it didn't disappoint.

The first thing I noticed is that this cream loves water. I started lathering a nice-sized snurdle in my bowl & wasn't getting much of a result, but as soon as I started dribbling more hot water into the bowl the lather began to explode.

And just the lather you'd want! Rich, thick, slick, meringue-like peaks. Given all of that I would've expected the cushion to be a little bigger but still, this cream is no slouch. I managed to get a (for the most part) smooth, irritation-free shave. This with me, a relative noob, using a Feather for the first time! So draw your own conclusions. :smile:

The scent is very mellow & understated. Not sure how to describe it -- the words "clean," "fresh," "classic" and "dry" come to mind. However you choose to describe it, rest assured that this cream won't interfere with any scent you choose to apply afterwards.

Apparently La Toja is a spa known for its healing waters; the cream is replete with the "mineral salts" contained therein. Whatever they're using, it works for me! I almost could've gotten away without using any aftershave at all. Almost, but not quite.

...besides, what fun is that. :tongue:

So there you go. Me likes this cream. Big recommend!
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I recently tried this one out. A friend brought back a tube from Spain after a trip. It was nice not to pay shipping and handling for it as it is a pretty cheap cream over there. Very nice lather and did not dry out on me while taking my time during my multiple passes. I did not give a high rating on the scent, but only because this is "clean" cream--that is, it did not seem to have any ostentatious aroma, more like a refreshing/sublte aroma. If you want to smell your cream throughout the day, this one isn't necessarily for you. I liked it very much and would recommend it as a very good daily shaving cream.
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This cream was sent to me as a trade with a fellow member in this group, and I'm very pleased with it. I wish it was sold here, but, alas, it isn't.

Jeff
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability