What's new

Kitayama 8K water stone

I bought this 12000 grit stone as a finishing stone and you say its a 8K stone. Do you mean it a 8K stone that cuts and polish like a 12K stone? I am confused on the rating, and I am just confuse? I already have a high quality 8K Japanese water stone that did not give the edge that I was looking for and that why I bought the Kitayama 12k water stone. I also have a 4K and 6K Norton. I am a beginner, but I also bought the Lynn DVD, I follow it, and I got the job done buy using a TI 10K Paste to finish. I haven't use the Kitayama yet, but will need it soon. Am I wasting my time going from a 8K Japanese water stone to a Kitayama 12k (you say misprint 8K) Japanese water stone for the final finish?

5/8 NOS Dorko singing
2x 5/8 TI singing
6/8 TI singing
6/8 Timor "Blue Steel"
5/8 WKS
This is one nice big slab of sharpening stone- 8x3x1 on a wooden base. Why wood? It may look traditional, but plastic is a better choice for something that gets soaked in water (this stone only needs to soak a minute or two).

The Kitayama (North mountain) is sometimes advertised at 12K, but it's an 8K. It's one of the best polish stones available, and puts on a beautiful shine. As nice as the Naniwa 10K? It's a toss up for me.

One of the things I enjoy most about this stone is the feedback- it's not as hard as the equivalent Shaptons, and gives a good feel for the process. Simple to lap, too, and comes with its own imitation nagura stone.

It ain't cheap, at $70-90, but it's a good value and less expensive than some of its direct competition. All in all, it will provide many years of service, and knives that sparkle like the Nile.
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Use
3.00 star(s)
Overall Value
5.00 star(s)
Resistance to Wear
5.00 star(s)
Top Bottom