What's new

Kistna Aftershave Balm from The Body Works

First off is the price: With all those wonderful scents on the market costing as much as they do, it's nice to find one well under $20 USD. I prefer the more subtle and lighter scents as I find the strong patchoulis and musks somewhat overpowering and this is what makes Kistna my current favorite balm. The package description lists: Basil, Birch Leaf, Aloe Vera gel and Brazil Nut oil as the primary ingredients. The resulting scent is Spring fresh and almost citrus-like in its lightness. Think of walking in the woods beside a cool stream and smelling the ferns and undergrowth, well ... there you go!

The overall quality and endurance most likely won't make the folks at Penhaligons nervous but it's more than acceptable for what it is and that's a reasonably priced, wonderfully fresh scented, moisturizing balm that you can buy at most American shopping malls.

For mild to moderate razor burn I find Kistna is more than up to the challenge. Personally, I've found that it actually performs better if I use less of it and spend a minute or two massaging it into my skin than it does by simply wiping on a heavy dose. I use roughly a pea sized dollup and that handles most days - on those occasions when I've been a bit too aggressive with my shave I simply add another application (usually on my throat) and it sooths nicely.

Cooling sensation is a tricky: If you want a mentholated, Proraso-like cool, you'll be disappointed here but it does cool down my skin as it dries. The downside to this is, depending on the amount I've applied, it can take several minutes to dry to the touch. In it's favor though, I haven't noticed any scent morphing during the drying process.

Longevity of the scent: Again, I doubt it's up to the finer, more luxurious offerings on the market but at its pricepoint I'm happy with it.

Brazil Nut Oil is an incredible moisturizer on its own and mixed with Aloe Vera it supplies more than enough moisture content for the driest of skin. The only downside to this is it may be a bit too heavy for the hottest days of Summer but that's when I traditionally use an alcohol based aftershave anyway.

Alcohol burn? What's that? Just a nice, cool balm to soothe the skin and please the senses. I highly recommend this balm especially to those on a tight budget who still want a quality product.
Jack
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn