What's new

Kirk's Coco Castille Bar Soap

Pros: Good, clean scent; lathers well
This all-natural soap has been around since 1839. It has 5 ingredients: two of them are water and "natural fragrance". This soap lathers well and rinses clean. It is not as moisturizing as I had hoped it would be. It is a great price for a hypoallergenic, all-natural soap.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
I use this as a prep and for body wash. Have the fragrance free one myself. Cleans well, lathers just fine. Easily available even outside the US (i-herb). Worth a try.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
While I am not fond of the aroma of Grandpa's Pine Tar soap (smells like smoke), the Kirk's products are excellent. The bar soap is one of the best I have used, and the liquid body wash in regular scent and grapefruit are both excellent soaps, and fair values.
I haven't tried this one yet, but I've been using their Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap for the last year. It doesn't aggravate my eczema and it's great for washing your hair, face, body, and for shaving too. A little expensive for shaving, though.
I searched around tried a lot of soaps that were real soap and not a detergent bar - Nancy Boy, Claus Porto, T&H, Yardley, local soap makers, goat milk soap, you name it.

Kirk's Castille soap is available practically everywhere. It is less than $1 a bar, and it is excellent soap. Each bar is individually wrapped and weighs in at 4 oz. Here is the description from Kirk's website:

Since 1839, Kirk's Original Coco Castile Soap has given the consumer a high quality, all natural soap at an affordable price. Current national market research ranks Kirk's Original Coco Castile Soap as the top selling all-natural bar soap.
"Castile" originally referred to the highly-prized vegetable based soap produced in Castile, Spain. For centuries this soap was considered "the soap of royalty" because of its luxurious lather and gentleness to the skin. Today, "Castile" refers to any vegetable based soap.
Why ALL-Natural?
- No Animal By-Products
- Never Tested on Animals
- Hypoallergenic
- Biodegradable
- No Synthetic Detergents
I have been using this soap regularly for over a year now. It is not drying, the scent is like soap and not artificial, lathers like crazy, and leaves me feeling really clean. Knocks on the soap are that it does not last all that long as it is one the softer side, and I have to be on the shower a bit more for soap scum buildup. Soap scum has been no issue with a daily shower spray.

Price - 10. Very inexpensive, available locally.

Quality - 10. Consistent, good soap.

Latherability - 10. No problems whatsoever.

Moisturizing - 7. It is soap, but it is not especially drying to mine or my families skin.

Scent - 10. As in it smells like soap and not something else.

Efficacy - 10. Cleans well.

Packagine - 10. Individually wrapped and no issues opening the package. I do not recall if the packaging is recyclable or not.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)