What's new

King of Shaves Soothing Balm (K-BLM)

Item Description

My recent re-entry into the world of shaving began with King of Shave products. While they in most ways depart from tradition, it's a pretty fun departure. There's a huge array of products to try. They're hard to find (in the US) so you get the anticipation of mail order. They're attractively packaged and give you that warm "just joined the cult" feeling you'd expect when you line them up on the bathroom counter.

And, for those of us weened on canned goo the philosophy of "What we cannot do with lubrication and fine lather we will do with topical pharmacology" is familiar, and frankly, effective.

KOS Soothing Balm doesn't depart from this philosophy, it embraces it. I have Musgo Real (awesome), and Nivea for Men Replenishing Balm (good, not as good as Musgo) for comparison.

www.shave.com

I can count on two things when I apply this product: a) I will inhale sharply, as one normally does when they've applied the equivalent of dry ice to their facial skin. b) I will immediately wipe any excess balm that has inadvertently found its way onto my lips or other sensitive areas as any normal person would do when dry ice sticks to their skin. Note: Cover the boys when you use this stuff, or an accidental spill will have you _really_ hopping around. It really, really cools. It's numbing. I could probably remove a mole after applying this stuff and not feel a thing.

What's really ironic is that after the initial shock and awe of mentholated refrigeration is over, the burn comes back a little. The product will definitely get your mind off the razor burn, but it doesn't seem to help heal and protect quite as well as Musgo or Nivea. I'm not someone dedicated enough to actually create razor burn just for testing (although I use either a Sensor or Mach 3), but this is my feeling. It puts a layer of wax(something?) on the surface to help protect the skin - in the same way that Musgo does. It leaves the skin feeling natural and moisturized. It just doesn't sooth for as long or as well as Musgo or even Nivea.

That said, I have to say I'd think about taking this for travel. The packaging is nice for that, as glass bottles and jars are, well, pretty stupid to put in a suitcase. It works well enough and the scent is pleasant if anonymous.

I dinged the product on price because as far as I know you've got to buy it mail order. They are clearly going for mass market, but haven't built up enough mass yet. I also dinged it on alcohol burn because it does have a bit of burn at the very leading edge of the cooling shock wave. I'm not able to read the ingredients on the site (the wrong product comes up when you click on K-BLM) so I cannot confirm if alcohol is included, but it feels like it.

So, if you're looking for a strong cooling blast in a travel compatible container, give this a try!

Latest reviews

I like the scent and feel of KOS Soothing Balm. I've been using my second tube (a tube lasts 3 or so months) and at the same time trying to get rid of a persistent rash on my neck - an itchy, red rash with flaky skin. A cortisone cream fixes it but that's not a solution, prolonged use of cortisone not being a good idea. It cleared up a while back when I stopped using the KOS for a couple of weeks and tried an anti-fungal cream.

This week I stopped using the KOS and started on a Crabtree & Evelyn balm. Problem fixed in two days. Thinking back the rash started about the time I started using KOS Soothing Balm. Sadly, I've concluded I must be allergic to KOS Soothing Balm, probably the artificial menthol. For this reason I can't recommend the product.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
My recent re-entry into the world of shaving began with King of Shave products. While they in most ways depart from tradition, it's a pretty fun departure. There's a huge array of products to try. They're hard to find (in the US) so you get the anticipation of mail order. They're attractively packaged and give you that warm "just joined the cult" feeling you'd expect when you line them up on the bathroom counter.

And, for those of us weened on canned goo the philosophy of "What we cannot do with lubrication and fine lather we will do with topical pharmacology" is familiar, and frankly, effective.

KOS Soothing Balm doesn't depart from this philosophy, it embraces it. I have Musgo Real (awesome), and Nivea for Men Replenishing Balm (good, not as good as Musgo) for comparison.

www.shave.com

I can count on two things when I apply this product: a) I will inhale sharply, as one normally does when they've applied the equivalent of dry ice to their facial skin. b) I will immediately wipe any excess balm that has inadvertently found its way onto my lips or other sensitive areas as any normal person would do when dry ice sticks to their skin. Note: Cover the boys when you use this stuff, or an accidental spill will have you _really_ hopping around. It really, really cools. It's numbing. I could probably remove a mole after applying this stuff and not feel a thing.

What's really ironic is that after the initial shock and awe of mentholated refrigeration is over, the burn comes back a little. The product will definitely get your mind off the razor burn, but it doesn't seem to help heal and protect quite as well as Musgo or Nivea. I'm not someone dedicated enough to actually create razor burn just for testing (although I use either a Sensor or Mach 3), but this is my feeling. It puts a layer of wax(something?) on the surface to help protect the skin - in the same way that Musgo does. It leaves the skin feeling natural and moisturized. It just doesn't sooth for as long or as well as Musgo or even Nivea.

That said, I have to say I'd think about taking this for travel. The packaging is nice for that, as glass bottles and jars are, well, pretty stupid to put in a suitcase. It works well enough and the scent is pleasant if anonymous.

I dinged the product on price because as far as I know you've got to buy it mail order. They are clearly going for mass market, but haven't built up enough mass yet. I also dinged it on alcohol burn because it does have a bit of burn at the very leading edge of the cooling shock wave. I'm not able to read the ingredients on the site (the wrong product comes up when you click on K-BLM) so I cannot confirm if alcohol is included, but it feels like it.

So, if you're looking for a strong cooling blast in a travel compatible container, give this a try!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)