What's new

King of Shaves K-1st/180G Face Wash

I used to suffer from mild acne from my early teens up until my mid-twenties. Shaving didn't help. I found that many of the chemicals in most shaving products, combined with my then poor shaving techniques created irritation, razor burn, and acne flare ups.

I then decided to try various men's skin care lines to help combat this problem. I tried drug store brands (nivea, neutrogena, l'oreal for men) and I tried high-end companies (biotherm, vichy, Zirh), but none of them seemed to work, and often made my acne worse.

Enter King of Shaves. As I mentioned in an earlier review for KOS alpha gel, I picked up a few of the core products (face wash, shave gel, moisturizer) in London when I was on business. I had heard and read many good things about the products and decided to give them a go. Being from Canada, KOS is not available in the nation.

I cannot begin to explain the turn around I experienced from using these products. While the shave gel and moisturizer were superb, my adulation is extended towards the topic of this review: K-1st 180G Face Wash.

Unlike most face washes, this one doesn't lather up very much. Most of the time, products that produce lather contain harsh surfactants that can irritate the skin. I was also happy to see that the face wash did not contain any parabens, chemicals that serve as preservatives, but also alter hormones in the body. Unfortunately, the shave gel and moisturizer contain them, as do a lot of other brands. However, the face wash is packed with many skin-friendly ingredients that, for the price, cannot be beaten. Knowing that my face was being treated with glycolic acid, tea-tree oil, and a few AHAs for only a few dollars compared to paying an arm and a leg was gratifying.

I only used about a finger-tip's worth of gel as that was plenty to cover my face. Despite the density of the blue gel, it was easy to apply with no soppy mess or gunk dripping down my neck. When spreading it around, it was very smooth and smelled slightly of mint and citrus fruits.

Rinsing the face wash off was very quick and thorough. A few splashes of water did the trick and I was ready to apply some moisturizer. The feeling of my face after washing could be described as simply "clean." I did not experience the sometimes over-elaborate cooling sensation associated with mint-based products, nor did I feel my face was extremely dried out. It was just right.

The miracle of this product can be seen after a few days of use. My wife commented on how she had never felt my complexion so soft and smooth. Acne outbreaks are drastically lower after shaving and razor burn, and irritation are rare.

To finish, no I am not a rep for KOS, I am just a regular guy who, like other men, wanted to reduce the problems associated with a) shaving, and b) keeping my face clean.

Therefore, if you want to try something that is very cost-effective and does what it says, I strongly recommend KOS.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Great review, jd21. I have found the KOS range to be affordable and very effective. I can highly recommend the KOS Pre-Shave Primer 90G which provides a mild scrub that is perfect for everyday use prior to shaving. The only downside from my viewpoint is the slight chemical smell which is easily over come by a good rinse and an application of a quality shaving cream like TOBS Mr Taylor's.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)