What's new

King of Shaves AlphaGel ASC Shaving Gel

Let me state that I don't use this product often. It is my quick/ traveling shaving material.

Price- Cheapo if you can find it. $2.50 for a tube of goo is alot better than $5 for a can of goo.

Quality- I gave it a high score because based on non-lathering/ non brush using goop, this stuff is alot better than the rest. Again, this stuff will not and can not replace the high quality lather you get out of soaps/creams with brushs but for traveling and quicko shaves, this is my go to gel.

Scent- I usually don't pay enough attention to scent with my shave stuff because I focus more on what it does to my face than what it does to my nose but I wasn't too shocked by it. It was pretty run of the mill. It's no William's but it's not skunk either.

NO LATHER= NO SCORE

Efficacy- It does it's job for being a quick shave. It gets a good score on that

Mosturizing- My skin usually feels really dry after shaving anyways but this didn't make my skin crack like other nonfoaming creams do.

Packaging- Most tube like containers are useless. This one isn't. It didn't leak and it kept the gel usually and not dry out.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
One of the better ones around, but not good enough to use time and time again, average.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I bought this stuff caving into all the marketing, KING OF SHAVES etc.

Much better than standard goop out of a can. Best used over their shaving oil range. It's designed not to lather so you wouldn't use it with a brush. But that's what makes it good for normal cartridge razor shaving and using this instead of gilette gel etc.

Not even close to being as good a good quality lather though..
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I was recently on a trip to London for business when I stumbled across the King of Shaves line in a local Boots Pharmacist in Notting Hill. For those who have read my forum posting, I am from Canada and there is, at the moment, no supply of King of Shaves in the country.

Therefore, seeing as how I was in England, and was very close to a drug store, I decided to pick up some core products from the KOS line, more specifically the K-1st face wash, alpha glide shave gel (anti bacterial), and K-moisturizer with SPF8. I thought this was a pretty good deal seeing as how it only cost me a little over 20 dollars Canadian for the three items.

Now, while most of the reviews for this gel have been negative, I must say that I rather liked this stuff. The wash and moisturizer were a great pair-no nonsense, efficient and smelled good.

The shave gel was like what most people said, un-pleasant to smell and did not produce any lather. However, the shave itself was great! It provided enough lubrication and slip to go against the grain and it rinsed off really well. There is little to no tug on the hairs and glide of the blade was very slick and smooth.

This, of course, is just my opinion, as are the rest of the reviews. But, as I said earlier, I am not ashamed to say I enjoy King of Shaves.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Worst.

Thing.

Ever.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
D
Picked this tube up for $2.74 on Clearance at Target. I actually bought this and a Fusion (non-powered) in preparation for a week long vacation in a few months. Figured I'd use one blade for testing it, then the other while on vacation. After that the razor my just go in a drawer.

I have to admit I actually used this stuff as a preshave oil, with lather on top. Compared to the exact same shave without using the KOS, I saw no difference. It really did not help out much. I think it may have help a little with moisturizing my skin, but it was extremely small. I am quite sure if I used this stuff alone, without lather helping out, the shave would likely be worse. I consider this stuff just on par with the Barbasol non-lathering cream. Both are pretty much terrible with a DE razor. They both work better than a can of goo with a cartridge razor, but who is comparing to a can of goo? Do we compared our shave creams to dog $hit? I think not! :wink:
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
When I need quick this is what I reach for, so it gets used about 3-4 times a month. It's a heap better than the canned stuff.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
I have only one word to describe my feelings about this product....APPALLED.

I would congratulate KOS (*** would be a better name) for single-handedly setting back the cause of wet shaving to ante-deluvian times.

I know my scores seem bad--absurdly so--but I would just as soon use Nair on my fair than shave with this junk again.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
My wife bought me a tube of the King of Shaves Microgel. No idea how it compares to this one reviewed here. This stuff is really gross. Like squirting liquid algae into your palm. No pleasure using it at all----I don't care how well it moisturizes.

Roger
I actually use this only when I am travelling and can't be bothered to carry my creams, brush and bowl with me. I will also use it sometimes if I need to shave in 2 minutes flat and have no time for lathering/multiple passes.

It hardly produces any foam which means you can see clearly the skin underneath it and the hair. It does make it more difficult though to tell where you have passed with the razor. The cushioning and lubrication are acceptable, but not comparable to a high quality cream/soap.

The tea tree oil does cause my skin to tingle (which I quite enjoy) but the smell is unpleasant. It is claimed to reduce irritation/rash but I have not found it to help me at all. Maybe it is more effective for those with acne.
Decided to edit this review since my opinion has changed after using the product for few days...

I like this stuff. I complained about the smell in my previous post, but I have to say, it's actually not bad - smells of tea tree oil (a natural antiseptic), which is different, and a bit refreshing. Doesn't smell as "tasty" as, say, Mama Bear's soaps, but, IMHO, what does?

I previously had quite a few issues with my skin breaking out after a shave. I tried disinfecting my razor and brush and using different creams and soaps. I tried doing fewer passes, even switching to different types of blades and using pre-shave oils. These changes did help, but I have to say that this stuff works just as well at managing breakouts. It's super slick on my face and, even with a multi-blade cartridge razor, my shave feels comfortable.

Definitely a step up from your standard goo in a can. It isn't as "luxurious" as scented creams and soaps, but it gives a gentle, close shave. I can even do multiple passes, which I really can't do with standard gels or foams.

It won't replace my arsenal of high quality shaving soaps, but I will keep it around for when I don't have the time to use them properly.

Definitely consider this stuff - if even for just while you are traveling or need a good less than 5 minute shave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)