What's new

Kiehl's Blue Astringent

Pros: this stuff will tighten you up and smooth you out
Cons: too much of a good thing will dry you out
I've been using Kiehl's Blue for 30-plus years. Not recommended so much as an aftershave product, but damned good as a cleansing astringent between shaves. Hence my low marks for moisturizing and burn. On a cotton pad, you'll be surprised at how much gunk it cleans from what you thought was clean skin.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
I am a Speick user and abuser, but I was looking for something that would really help my face. This stuff does the job. I guess it's the witch hazel, but the oil on my skin has declined dramatically as has my acne. Plus it feels pretty decent going on. The only scent is a faint medicinal smell, probably from the menthol. There is some menthol in it, but the amount is quite slight - I get no cooling sensation from it. So if you are a menthol head, go somewhere else for your fix or use one of the blasters like Osage Rub with this.

There is also alcohol, but the sting is almost non-existent. The main player here is witch hazel, and it does it's job very well. I suspect as a dollar value this stuff isn't great - I'm going to try Thayers next, which is dirt cheap at my local CVS. But in reality it's not bad - $14 for 8.4oz is cheap for good aftershave.

I n/a-ed moisturizing, because that's not what this stuff is about. It's all about clearing up oily skin, and you don't want junk left behind that sits on your face.

Definitely worth trying. If it turns out I don't like Thayers, I will simply buy a much larger bottle of this next and be happy I found it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I have had this for a while, but just added it to my after shave routine. After a cold rinse and quick pat dry, I splash a very small amount on my face. The directions on the bottle say to use a cotton ball or pad, I tried that and didn’t get very good results. I found that the cotton ball soaked up all the lotion and I would really have to rub hard on my face to apply, stick to a splash. Wow you feel the pores close immediately. It cools the skin and really gets rid of razor burn (if by chance technique is off that morning). It also washes away any soap/cream residue that might remain. I think price is an issue here however you save on the bigger bottle. I know that Kiehl’s stores carry a very big bottle that I have never seen on-line or at Nordstrom’s. I also find since you pay a premium I tend to be careful while dispensing the product into my palm not to waste any. When I have used other astringents I would pour much more out and loose most of it before my hands hit my face.
This stuff is definitely worth a try especially if you have oily skin and when the weather is hot and muggy. As stated in previous post, I wait about 5 minutes for my face to completely dry than follow with an ASB.
If you are near a Kiehl’s store, go in and ask for samples they are very accommodating and happy to give them out. Nordstrom’s also has samples but not sure if they have this as a sample.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I have always been a big fan of Kiehl's Blue Astringent. It is hands down my favorite aftershave.

I have several issues. One, I am somewhat fragance phobic. I dislike smelly aftershaves and colognes on myself and others. Kiehl's has a nice smell upon application but it dissipates very quickly, as I like. Another issue I have is oily skin. Using balms and creams just make me feel sticky and more oily. Kiehl's does a great job of keeping my skin from getting oily during the day, better than any other product I have used.

I also like a reasonable amount of alcohol sting and Kiehl's supplies just the right amount for me.

It is fairly expensive but I find it worth every penny. I gave it a N/A for moisturizing as that is not what it does. I also gave it a N/A for "no alcohol burn".

I have tried every witch hazel on the market and nothing pleases me as much as Kiehl's Blue Astringent.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)