What's new

Kelvin

Pros: Mild-ish, easy to find the right angle, plays nice with many blades with predictable results
Cons: None yet. Have heard that the threads can break off the head if you drop it.
EJDE89 Kelvin was my first DE razor and still one of my favorites. In fact, I use it as a baseline for how a razor should work for me. Same mild, efficiency as a post-war tech. Short(er) knurled handle make it easy to use and maneuver. If my ever breaks, I will buy another. Chrome is flawless even though the base is zamak.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Very attractive design, beautiful chrome, well balanced, affordable
Cons: Durability of threaded stud very poor
Beautiful design & chrome finish. Well balanced and fits my (average size) hand perfectly. Attractive price. However, after only 4 months of careful use, the threaded stud broke off. Was not being cross threaded, torqued or ever dropped. The material used in the threaded stud and head cover are simply poor quality and need to be upgraded. Not a durable product, even under careful use.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice size, great balance and weight
I use this for my travel razor (and have been doing so for several years) because it is small enough for the travel kit and has the same head as my EJ Chatsworth Barley that I use on a daily basis at home. It is of excellent quality, durable and cleans up very well. Always gives great shaves.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Edwin Jagger head, knurled handle, and smooth shave.
Cons: Lighter than expected.
I wanted to try a more aggressive razor than my Weishi, and a three piece, and had read good things about Edwin Jagger, but didn't care for the long handles with apparent lack of grip. The Kelvin seemed to fit the bill: a three piece razor with a short, knurled, handle, at a reasonable price.
The first thing I noticed when it arrived is that it's surprisingly light. It seems lighter than my Weishi. That could be an illusion based on weight to size, but I do wonder if the handle is hollow. It was also shorter than the Weishi, which was another surprise.
For comparison purposes, I loaded it with my standard blade, Wilkerson Classic, instead of the Derbies that came with it. Loading a three-piece razor was interesting, and it made a ratcheting sound as I tightened the handle as the blade flexed up the posts.
The shave was very smooth. The sound of the shave was muted than what I'm used to, but was smooth.
It wasn't as aggressive as I thought it would be, just a little more aggressive than the Weishi. The aggressiveness is about a 3 to 3.5, based on my experience with a Schick Adjustable. I suspect that handle tightness is a factor here, though I wouldn't want to use any razor with a head that isn't tightened down. I had planned to do a WTG and XTG shave only, but because it was not as aggressive as I anticipated, went ahead with ATG and touch-up. I had no razor burn, as testified by the splash of Old Spice (tm).
One shave isn't enough to do a razor justice, so it will be interesting to see if it improves over several days. But overall I'm satisfied with this purchase.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: The short handle
Cons: mild shave
This is as close to a daily razor that I have. Loaded with a Feather I get a DFS with 2 passes and a touch up, have not had BBS yet but don't really care with a daily razor. this has a short handle but I like that.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Build quality
Cons: no major gripes
I got this from Amazon as an upgrade to my feather popular. I was surprised how short the handle is compared to other razors. I have medium sized hands and at the moment, it feels a little odd and dainty compared to what I'm used to. However, even though its short, its balanced and weighty. I will persevere with it for now, as I need to get used to the feel of it in use. Its more aggressive the my FP using feather blades but I'll try 7 o'clock s next. I did wish it came with some sort of case or bag as I travel a lot, so I'll have to source one myself. On the plus side, its built like a tank and has deep luxurious chrome work. I'm sure even though I'm 34, it could out live me!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: The EJ/Muhle shaving head
Cons: None
I have large hands, yet I find the size Of the razor with its short handle quite comfortable and very maneuverable. The overall size is about the same as my 71 black handle super speed. I've developed sensitive skin and I have found that this razor gives very little burn. Or irritation. With Astra SP's I will get about 5-6 shaves per blade. I'm still testing to find the best blade for me.
It's a beautiful tool and has become my daily razor.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Unique and attractive grip (potential to be collector's item)
Cons: None really. Just the usual "complaints" of a 3 piece.
As I start my shaving journey, I have been on the hunt for my first razor that makes me feel like its the one meant for me. Edwin Jagger always caught my attention because of it being different from the very popular (but well reviewed) Merkur. While there are many many great reviews regarding the Edwin Jagger razors, I never was attracted to their handles. A look on Amazon revealed that they make an exclusive custom handle that I really like in partnership with EJ. The handle is grooved and provides excellent wet grip.

The razor itself is a 3 piece and shaves close and evenly. Right now, I'm using Derby and Bic Chrome Platinum blades to get a general baseline to measure the performance of the shave itself. My findings have been quite incredible. With the right angle (of course), I can get BBS in 3 passes with both blades. These are not the sharpest blades in my collection and I was really impressed with the results I got!

In summary, this has a unique handle that is not widely available. This increases the added personal value of having something different. The razor has a very good and balanced weight and very slick and well done finish. The aggressiveness of the razor is (i would say) middle ground and provides a close but still comfortable shave.

My personal score is 9.9 stars (because nothing is perfect).
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)