What's new

Kell's Original Shaving Soap

Pros: slickness, ease of lather.
Cons: none
Melted the puck into an empty soap container. Very easy to lather, excellent aroma. Very slick to shave with.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: The Hemp/Aloe Blend lathered up quickly into a thick and slick lather. It felt incredibly COOL on my face.
Cons: None
I used the Hemp/Aloe Blend scent Energy. It has a wonderful sweet blend of citrus with cucumber and jasmine in the background. A perfect choice for a hot summer day. It was delightfully refreshing and felt incredibly cool on my face. The scent lasted through the entire shave with no fading. One of my favorites.

The thirsty soap whipped up quickly into a pile of thick, slick lather. The aloe felt soothing on my sensitive skin.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Great lather, variety of scents, cheap price.
This is my desert island soap in a heartbeat...sandalwood scent. I try all sorts of different creams ans soaps but this is my benchmark which all others are measured.
I gave the scent a 9 as I bought the English rose and it is super strong, for nose anyway.
Be sure to take advantage of the samples to nail down your favourite scent.
Simple quality product at a great price!!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Good lather, moisturizing
I mainly just wanted to comment on the burning sensation. I also got this with ancient sedona, and a little with the black tea. They both have amber, so maybe that's the cause? Mint and juniper sage did not give me any burn at all. I recommend buying the samples and figuring out which ones work for you.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Kells soaps are really an incredible "new age" shave soap. I live in Texas & the water I have is so hard you have to chew it before you swallow it......This soap rocks, big time. The lather is super slick. I gave it nine for moisturizing...it is a soap not a moisturizer.

These are a must try IMO. Enjoy....
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Well I tried KO Hemp/Aloe Unscented yesterday for the first time with my "mighty mite" Simpsons Wee Scot. Maybe it's me but I had a hard time developing a usable lather, perhaps a water ratio problem. When I disassembled my Merkur HD found that lather had clogged on the underside of blade. What gives ?, I don't want to write thsi soap off just yet. :frown:
Truly fantastic stuff, deserves to be right up there with the likes of Tabac and Cella. I haven't worked out yet how to get a good lather from it, but it doesn't matter. Even with a thin lather this soap is slick and protective.

I have the Ultra Aloe version in Casbah Mint and true to the advertising, this soap DOES NOT IRRITATE. It feels great on the skin even after multiple passes and the after-shaving feeling is....well, perfect. I chewed up my neck with a Fusion going after some stubble and I could hardly feel the burn afterwards, before the AS.

Top-class product guys.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Dandaman;1387992 said:
I ordered 3 of these soaps and received them last week. I got the "middle" version w/ aloe. I've tried the Almond and the Amber, and I'm getting a mild burning sensation with both. Doesn't make my skin go red or get serious, but it's not especially comfortable. The only other soaps I've had similar issues with were one or two from QED. Maybe I'm a bit sensitive to essential oils? ('cuz I think QED loads up on them and I think I read where Kell's were adjusted upward a bit on the EO's too...) I've got one more scent to try. Also, personally I'd prefer a wider container for ease of loading the brush. I'm not leaving ratings because the most important aspect to me is the reaction I'm having to the soap, and the ratings don't seem to address that. The soap does lather fine, and I had no real issues with how it worked with the razor. The Amber scent didn't do much for me, the Almond was pretty good, and the English Rose smells great (but I've yet to try it).
Try the unscented version of the soap! I've tried a lot of creams and soaps in the past 12 month to find the one that is good for my sensitive skin. I was just about to give up the quest when I found Kell's unscented soap. No irritation, no razor burn and a very close shave. I'm also sensitive to essential oils in soaps. Not so seroius the first time, but gets worse and worse each day. I love scents but my skin can't stand EO in soaps. I think you are in the same trap. Try the unscented.
I have the hemp/aloe mix of Casbah Mint and the soap is nothing short of amazing for the price point. I have been very pleased with the lather it produces and the moisturizing effect that it leaves on my face. But, the truly amazing part of the Casbah Mint is the scent. I have looked for a peppermint scent that my face can handle for a very long time and only now can I say that I have found what I was looking for. The peppermint scent is intoxicating, and it still manages to make my face tingle a little after the shave (albeit less than menthol, but my face does not agree with menthol). I would highly recommend Kell's original soap to others!!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I ordered 3 of these soaps and received them last week. I got the "middle" version w/ aloe. I've tried the Almond and the Amber, and I'm getting a mild burning sensation with both. Doesn't make my skin go red or get serious, but it's not especially comfortable. The only other soaps I've had similar issues with were one or two from QED. Maybe I'm a bit sensitive to essential oils? ('cuz I think QED loads up on them and I think I read where Kell's were adjusted upward a bit on the EO's too...) I've got one more scent to try. Also, personally I'd prefer a wider container for ease of loading the brush. I'm not leaving ratings because the most important aspect to me is the reaction I'm having to the soap, and the ratings don't seem to address that. The soap does lather fine, and I had no real issues with how it worked with the razor. The Amber scent didn't do much for me, the Almond was pretty good, and the English Rose smells great (but I've yet to try it).
I received a sample of the hemp oil/aloe lavender from Bullmoose with a recent order so I can't truthfully rate the price as it was free.

The soap is simple packaged in shrink wrap, but the larger size is available in tins. It is a clear nontallow soap and the ingredients are listed in a post in the vendor's corner.

The scent is very nice, lavender with a sort of earthy background similar to walking into a Wholefoods store. Its not in your face, but the scent comes in strong when you lather.

Wow, does this stuff lather! I overloaded the brush the first two times I used it. This is not Conk's of VDH. There is a lot more bang for volume in this stuff. A pleasantly dense, moist lather using a prickly little pure badger brush and face lathering.

Good lubrication and cushion, but not in the same league as the good tallow soaps. Still, it was better than VDH or Conk's by a wide margin.

The soap is definately gentle and moisurizing. It left my skin feeling really good after shaving. I have oily skin and I am not very sensitive to soaps and such, but no tightness or irritation.

To give it a relatively fair shake, I used a Micromatic and Ted Pella Blade to do 3 pass shaves for 3 days. The sample is generous enough for several shaves. I will order more when I work through some of the other creams and soaps that I have.
I have been using a sample of the Kell's Original hemp/aloe almond scented and its wonderful. Very easy to make lather using the Mantic system. A little goes along way as the sample is only perhaps 1 oz and this way my third day and there is still plenty left over. This soap gives a really nice cushion so the razor glides over with zero irritation. The price is very reasonable at $3.75 for a 2.7 oz puck.
The 4 oz size in a 6 oz tin is only $6.00.

Kell's makes about 6 different fragrances. I have the lime and Arabian Night on order along with a tin of almond.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
This soap is pretty good stuff. I received a sample of it and gave it a whirl.
It lathered up pretty well, and shaved on par with Col. Conk and the rest of the glycerin melt&pour brigade.

What sets this apart from most of the others out there is it's price point and scent options, and the Aloe contribution for the skin. While as economical as the cheaper soaps, the scent options are as varied as the more expensive brands. He offers three formulations, Hemp, Hemp/Aloe, and Hemp/Ultra Aloe.

I have only used the Hemp/Aloe unscented, though many on another forum I frequent have used the other scents. They have universally loved them.

I plan to try more as I empty/buy some more soap dishes. Good stuff, and a less-costly way to expand your scent options.

Larry
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing