What's new

Kai folding straight

I noticed this review was lacking photos, so I thought I would post a few (I understand that dpmtherrien's razor has a stainless steel handle though).

Upon first holding this razor, I was floored by it's weight. I had previously attempted to use a Dovo Shavette, which has very little weight. The Kai has a lot of weight, and is probably pretty close in weight to a regular straight.

It's build quality is superb, and I like that it is possible to load the razor without actually touching the blade.

I sold mine after a handful of uses, not due to any fault of the razor, but due to my overall lack of technique with it.

proxy.php

proxy.php
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
1.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)
I received my Kai folding straight today, and at first glance upon opening the box, I was most impressed. This razor just shouts quality. Its solid stainless steel. The look and feel of this razor are most impressive. I only use disposable blade straights, and for almost a year I have been using the Feather AC razors. I have both the RG, and the DX, as well as the non folding AC. These have been excellent razors, and are the ones I learned straight shaving on. I get very good shaves from them. I saw a picture of the Kai razor some time ago, but was unable to find where to get one. B&B member Telly Bruno responded to one of my inquires about getting a Kai, and he put together a group buy and I was able to get one.

As mentioned, upon opening the box, my first impression of the razor was the quality of the solid stainless steel. I have large hands, but this razor just fits so nice. The balance and weight seem perfect.

The Kai's will take the Feather AC blades, so I loaded a super pro into the Kai. The head of the razor, or part that holds the blade seems even thinner than the Feather AC, a very nice feature. The shave was excellent. very smooth, and now that my technique with the Feather has improved, and no irritation.

Of course the care and upkeep is zero to minimal. Its all stainless steel so when you change the blade just rinse the holder in hot water when open, and give a spray of scrubbing bubbles every couple of weeks or so. That's it.

For anyone who uses the Feather AC, the Kai razors IMHO are an even better buy, and if purchased from Telly through one of his group buys, are even cheaper than the Feather. A good deal for an even better razor. Give the Kai a shot, I'm sure you'll be glad you did.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
1.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
5.00 star(s)