What's new

Joel's Spearmint Soap

Don't know as I'm qualified to be a critic of any of the soaps/creams on the market. Heck, I had to look up "efficacy" to see what it meant, for crying out loud. It came to me as I read the definitions, however, that the word was invented for this particular mixture of face-soothin' pleasure.

I probably don't have the variety of stuff the rest of you boys have either, but of the 40+ lathering soaps I do have, this spearmint has quickly moved up on the list to one of my favorites. A top 3 choice, at least.

If there is a draw-back at all, it would be the uncontrollable urge to start chewing, even though there is no gum in my mouth.
I received this as a prize in the chat room a few weeks ago (you all remember Nick's (Pappasmurf) Penhaligon English Fern Soap give away). I cleared writing this with Joel and he will not be commenting on it or answering questions, so maybe this won't go out of control.

It arrived well sealed with instructions on how to use it and what to expect. Upon opening the scent was heavenly. The spearmint used was "first flush Moroccan shade-grown Spearmint" and has a wonderful, long lasting scent. As warned in the instructions, it took several uses to work through the layer of butters sealing the soap, but the upside is while doing this my brush returned to the scrubby soft tips I remember when I got it (Chubby #1 in best) and began to hold a LOT more water. This soap really rejuvenates a brush! Once through the sealing butters and adjusting the water/soap combination, it produces mounds of lather that has very good longevity, cushion, and lubrication. It is loaded with moisturizers and I rapidly began to see that aftershave conditioners and balms were not needed (by me at least) for a comfortable, irritation free, close shave. To test the soaps rejuvenating abilities, I then began a progression through my few brushes and found it works well on all of them, but it absolutely loves the Chubby.

So in conclusion....
  • Price: Free couldn't be better! If I had to pay for, I'm quite sure it would be expensive. Probably up there with Penhaligon and Floris.
  • Quality: At least as good as, and mostly better than any soap I have used so far. If there is a better one, I haven't found it.
  • Scent: I like Spearmint and this is great spearmint. I don't know about the other scents, but if they are like this one I drool over the thought of a Lime or Lavender or Rose.
  • Lather: It takes a while to get everything right, but once figured out is really good and longevity is excellent.
  • Efficacy: Again top notch. The cushion is superb, very slick, and protective.
  • Moisturizing: As moisturizing as a face cream. Joel says his new formulation "blows this away". That is one of those "I'll have to try it to believe it" statements.
If you get the impression I like this soap, you would be correct. If you get the chance to try it, jump! You won't be sorry. It's not the "Holy Grail" of soaps, nor is it the cure for every ailment. What it is is the best shaving soap I have tried. If there are better, I hope to try them too. Just as a reference, the closest to it I have tried is an older tallow based Penhaligon.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)