What's new

JM Fraser's Oriental Spice

the problem with all Fraser's product is that the container size is misleading.

A large tub at a very reasonable price makes it all too easy to use too much cream.

The slightest of dabs will generate uberlather on your face or bowl. This tub should outlast any puck on the market given how little you really need to use.
This stuff can outclass creams that cost 2 or 3 times as much. The performance is every bit as good as the more expensive English creams and delivers quality that you should not be able to buy for only ten bucks! I even love the rudimentary plastic tub that won't break if dropped by wet hands, doesn't increase cost like some of the more expensive jars and works great for storing nuts and bolts at you workbench after words! You must try this stuff.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Note: Elements of this review have been recycled from my Fraser's Classic one. If I accidentally left in any elements that cause confusion, my apologies.

Price: When you can get 235 ml of a quality cream for $11, you know you found a deal.
Quality: The cream lathers very well and results in a slick experience. Oh, and the already great value is even better: You only need a small amount to get results.
Scent: Here's where the Oriental Spice moves ahead of Fraser's Classic cream. The warm, cinnamon aroma hangs around and is reminiscent of the winter seasons (at least for me).
Latherability: Whips easily and applies very well.
Efficacy: The container boldly states, "Softens tough beards" and Fraser's delivers. I received everything I expected from this product.
Moisturizing Properties: Even after the first pass, I notice a distinct change in my skin. It feels like there's a soft coating over it and this sensation lasts for hours. Pair it with an aftershave and you're enjoying soft skin even 24 hours later.
Packaging: It's a white, utilitarian container with coloured font. The cap seals tight and holds in the cream so I give it a middle-of-the-road grade. Trust me -- you don't buy Fraser's for the look of it on your shelf.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I got a sample of the original Fraser's Cream so I decided to give this cream a try. It's a good bargain and a solid cream, but I don't care much for the smell.

It took me a while to figure out what it smelled like, but it smells just like baby diaper rash cream.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
The original Frasers cream had been a constant in my rotation for some time. I mostly only used it on my head, and was never crazy about the scent, but it worked well enough and was cheap. After a while it started to get a little boring so I pushed it to the back of my rotation and just haven't managed to pick it back up again. There's just so many other exciting creams. A couple of weeks ago I placed an order from Shaving Essentials, and decided to try one of the new scents out. I randomly chose this one over polar ice. I know this cream should be identical to the original except for the scent, but I really think I like it a lot more. Maybe the psychology of the different really does a lot?

Price"While it's nearly twice the price of the original Frasers, it's still half the price or less of other comparable creams.
Quality:I've always considered Frasers to be a very everyday sort of cream. It's slick, but there are some that are slicker. The lather is dense, but some are denser, etc. For 95% of my shaves it would work just fine, but if I really wanted a truly exceptional shave I would grab something else.
Scent:This is where this cream really excels over it's original counterpart. I'm not fanatical about the scent, but I do like it, and I definitely like it leaps and bounds over the original scent.
Latherability:Lathers great. Definitely in my top 5 list of most explosive lathers(for creams, that is)
Efficacy:Everything about this cream(IMHO) is above average without being bumped into the "excellent" category. Gives a nice close shave, but I don't think I would say it's great.
Moisturizing Properties: I always have a hard time determining Moisturizing Properties. Most creams all seem the same to me. That being said, it certainly seemed to do some moisturizing, but it wasn't anything to dance all over the bathroom about.
Packaging:Well, It would be nice to have as much cream as you get with the original, but I kind of like the smaller tub. It's easier to deal with and it's still 8 oz of cream, so it's bigger than most creams.
First I just want to say that this ranks #3 on my shaving cream list. Taylors Avacado being 1st and Spieck being 2nd. This is a really great cream and actually gives me a closer and more comfortable shave then Taylors but the only downfall is the smell. It kind of smells like baby powder to me. For me, I prefer my face to be as smooth as a babys butt, not smell like a babys butt.:tongue: But other then that its great in every catagory. Im anxious to see what the polar ice sent smells like. If it smells anything like Boosters polar ice then I will buy a tub of that pronto.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I agree with your review. It's a great value - good quality for the price. It has a very barber shop feel and scent to it. Overall, a great product - neither particularly moisturizing nor drying. It leaves a nice barber shop scent behind after use. It works great paired with most Booster aftershaves on those days when you're looking for that old-time barber shop shaving experience.
I received this as a sample and immediately fell in love with the cream. The second you open it, you're hit with the unmistakable scent of Booster's Oriental Spice. The folks at Fraser's got this one absolutely right.

Ok, it smells great. How does it shave? It shaves like it's bigger Fraser brothers. It whips up a great lather in no time. One of the first shaves with the new B&BE was with this cream. It quickly whipped up a rich white cream that was more than enough for three passes.

It lasts a good long time on the face, and I could even pass the razor over spots without cream and it was still slick.

In short, this cream smells great, lathers great, and works out to be about half the cost of TOBS considering the size differential.

The packaging, like Fraser's and Booster's is rather plain and nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)