What's new

Jack Black Supreme Creme

Pros: excellent lubrication
Cons: high price tag
After having found my preferred blade, I've been cycling through many creams and soaps. I was really impressed with the quality of lather as I brushed up my Jack Black. I liked the scent, though it was very faint. I had no grabbing or dragging feel, just a smooth glide over my skin. I finished off with the Jack Black SPF 20 moisturizer (I'm a head shaver) and my wife was very pleased with the effect and smell.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Fantastic cushion and glide
Cons: Hard to lather
This one is going to the top of my rotation for a while. Got a marvelous shave from it...after I almost got carpal tunnel trying to get it to lather like all my other creams. :) If you work at it and add a touch more water than I'm used to you can get nice "peaky" lather but you've *really* got to work at it.

Anyway, I don't want to dwell on the negative here. This is a fantastic cream and I'm glad I bought it despite the somewhat high price. The cushion and glide are the best I've encountered, on par with my go-to top of the line cushy cream, Trumper's Coconut.

I noticed quite a few other reviews saying it's an unscented cream. I actually found it to have a nice, sharp, clean minty/menthol-y smell but it's certainly more subtle than most creams so it shouldn't bother you if you have a scent sensitivity.

All in all, buy with confidence if you have a chance to pick this up. It's a winner!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: None
Cons: Greasy feel, gums up straight razor
The jar i received was a gift. I would NEVER buy this stuff at any price, and I know it's not cheap. ($20-$22) range. According to the label it seems to be for people with skin problems that are sensitive or allergic. Maybe that is the value for some.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
Pros: None
Cons: Poor lathering, disagreeable scent
Plain and simple, this stuff is awful. I am a missionary when it comes to wet shaving and regularly give partial tubs of creams to potential converts. I wouldn't think of giving this garbage to anyone I wanted to convert. What a waste of money.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Great lather
Cons: Bit pricey
This product is an excellent shaving cream. I just admit I had to go through a learning period of scooping just the proper amount for a shave. The wetness of the brush also plays a role. I use a small amount of this cream. Almond size . And I run my brush through hot water and squeeze gently the excess water. I then whip up the cream with the badger brush in a small bowl. I get a lather that is perfect. It is a bit pricey but since I only need a small amount I have not gone through 1 container in 6 months. So in closing, this is a great product after I figured out the proper amounts of cream and water in my brush.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: A very nice tub.
Cons: Thick and needs some elbow grease to lather.
I paid the $18 because my girlfriend had a coupon at Ulta and I hadn't bought a new cream in a while.

This stuff is thick and you do need a good amount to get a lather going and even that takes some work. With enough water it does go on well and provides a good cushion.

I have had three okay shaves with this. Afterward my face feels nice and soft and not dry and it's not a challenge to get my blade through the foam. The biggest issue for me is that it doesn't froth up like I'm used to with AOS and T&H.

I also wish it had something of a scent because as has been mentioned scent is one of the highlights of our morning ritual.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Excellent lather
Received a couple samples from Sephora (they scooped product out of a tub - not prepackaged samples). Contrary to a number of previous reviews, my experience was that the cream lathered up very nicely, and had no issues with cleanup afterwards. Product was slick, and provided a very smooth and comfortable shave.

The scent was subtle and not offensive at all.

Skin felt very good afterwards - not dried out at all, and no irritation.

I'm buying.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Slight amazing smell, Moisturizes, IT DOES LATHER WELL!!
Cons: Price
I am wondering if the samples given out for this product are bad, because everyone who sais they got a sample is complaining. I have had my tub for a while now, I've used this stuff for SE and DE. I soak my brush in HOT water, swirl it in the tub, adn move on to my mug, and it whips up unbelievable mounds. this stuff is already puffy, by watering it a little, you lose those air bubbles that you have to build back up. What i did was i placed the closed container in HOT water, it turned into a goo, then i let it cool (container closed the whole time) i basically made it into a proper paste. works like a charm.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: GREAT CONTAINER
Cons: VERY GREASY
FORGET THE BRUSH WITH THIS PRODUCT. WORKS OK IF YOU APPLY DIRECTLY AND USE A DEGREASER TO WASH YOUR FACE AFTERWARDS. I DON'T KNOW HOW THIS PRODUCT IS STILL AROUND.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Clean scent
Cons: Clean scent
So I got this as a sample from Nordstroms along with AOS Ocean Kelp and Trumpers almond. I would not consider myself a noob anymore and have had the pleasure of vastly increasing my lathering/shaving skills with different blades and creams and have found the ones that work well for me. As always and this is true to an extent YMMV on soaps and creams. Anyway, after trying the other two samples I finally got to the much touted (at least by the sales lady) Jack Black. I treated it as any other cream I have and went to town lathering, I used an almond sized amount with a semi wet brush (I prefer to add as I go). After a minute I was rewarded with a stable and thick lather. No trouble at all, onto the face it went and after about 2 minutes of lathering (I really like to lather http://badgerandblade.com/vb/images/smilies/adoration.png) I shaved with my EJ89 and a bluebird.... I received the closest and most comfortable shave to date. My face felt smooth with no dryness afterwards and in some aspects cleared up some irritation I had before (very minor). I have only used this once and feel that perhaps the moons were aligned but I am anxious to try again to see if I can duplicate the results. I think this is pricey and yes there are much better smelling creams which perform about the same for less. If you can get a sample, do that before you buy. In the end I experienced a DFS and enjoyed the product and it does lather.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Price: This I guess is the biggest weakness of JB shave cream...it costs $22 for an 8 ounce container, and $12 for a 3 oz. tube. It's very high quality, but being the poor college student that I am it's a lot of money.

Quality: A solid ten, this stuff is made well and of high quality organic ingredients. Not much else to say here.

Scent: It doesn't have any added scents, but it does have a slightly herbal smell which I find to be subtle and enjoyable.

Latherability: A fingertip sized amount of the stuff produces nice, quality lather. I'm guessing I got a reformulated tube because it did the job very well, though I must admit it took a tad more than I expected it would to produce good lather.

Efficacy: It gets the job done...not sure what else to say.

Moisturizing properties: This is where this stuff really shines, I think. It leaves my face feeling neither dry nor slimy, perfectly moisturized and ready to go. I don't even need any sort of ASB afterwards.

Packaging: simple, well designed, and study. A 10.

The Verdict: If you have the money to spare, I'd recommend this stuff to anybody. It gave me a good close shave with absolutely no irritation and didn't dry out my skin one bit. It smells good, too. :001_cool:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I think the concerns some of the first reviewers had about latherability have been addressed . . . there's a red diamond on the jar that says "improved lather!" or some such, and I can confirm that it is possible to get a good lather, although you have to use a generous amount of cream to a relatively smaller amount of water. Other high points are the scent -- it smells wonderfully of macadamia and something else (?soy) even though it claims to be fragrance-free (and paraben-free). Also has very nice moisturizing properties. As far as efficacy, it took me a little while to figure the lather out, but I can get a consistent DFS with this stuff.

All in all, however, I don't feel I can strongly recommend this product, if only because of the price. At $22 for an 8 oz jar, the stuff ought to be magic, especially if I'm using a generous thumb-tip of product every morning. Maybe I'll try a little of their ASB, just to get that fabulous smell . . . or maybe I'll get a whole case, lest they should reformulate. Yes, that would be best:biggrin1:
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This was the first cream I had ever tried and it was absolutely, positively, worthless! A year later my girlfriend bought me a tub of it as a stocking stuffer and you can't imagine how difficult it was to smile and pretend to like it. Reluctantly, I gave it a second chance. I have to say this is definately one of my favorite creams. I have very sensitive skin and this does not irritate me at all. I can quickly whip up a great lather using a budget badger brush and couldn't be happier. They must have wised up and realized their cream was worse than trying to lather sand. This "New Formula" is definately one of my favorites. However, it should be cheaper. Try and get a sample and give it a second chance, you won't be disappointed.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I got two samples of the Jack Black Supreme Cream at Sephora. One was from the tester container, and the other was a pre-made sample packet. On the packet it said "New Improved Lather," and on a couple of the jars that were for sale, but not on the tester container. Got miserable results with the first one (as someone described, it seemed to disappear into the brush), but with the New Improved Lather I was able to build a ton of super thick cushiony lather very quickly. So if you want to pick this up, make sure you get the one with the new formula label.
For a cream that claims to work with or without a brush, I too was disappointed in the inability to get a lather. When I tried to lather it up with a brush, it basically just dissolved. It was like it was just absorbed by the brush. I got much better results using it brushless; however, that was disappointing too because it took more cream than I expected, making this product more expensive per use than I anticipated.

It does have a good side though. It does an excellent job at conditioning the face, probably due to the oils it contains. However, I will not buy it again. TOBS is my stand-by, and is much more cost effective when you consider how much cream it takes per shave.

The rest of my tube of Jack Black Supreme Cream will probably be used whenever I'm in a brushless mood.
A non-starter for me.
I have read countless comments on products like this one and others such as,
American Crew Classic Shave, AC Herbal shave cream, and a few others. Most all of those comments contain something about a horendous lack of latherability when, in reality, those specific products were never meant to do anything of the sort.

Its almost like most of you are so hung up on shaving brushes that it doesn't even enter into your thinking that perhaps with some products, latherability has absolutely nothing to do with performance.

All product reviews on this forum might as well consist of one out of two things; "This works for me." or "I had no luck with this product."

Everything else is subjective and irrelevant.

-Weiland.
Not worth the price!
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
Siv;910280 said:
This stuff is great and lathers up a storm! I read the other reviews with disbelief at the latherability scores of 0. Here's my experience:
Dunk the wet brush into the cream and give is a twirl. Then into the scuttle and a small twirl also. Clearly it needs water.
Some water added (about a teaspoon) followed by some whipping.
Now the lather is starting to form up.
Here we go, starting to get some volume…
And now thickening up nicely.
YUM!!! Good enough to eat!
Let's use it!

Good thing those photos aren't date-stamped, Siv. Or we'd see that it took you three and a half days to get that lather.

:redface:
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This stuff is great and lathers up a storm! I read the other reviews with disbelief at the latherability scores of 0. Here's my experience:

Dunk the wet brush into the cream and give is a twirl. Then into the scuttle and a small twirl also. Clearly it needs water.

Some water added (about a teaspoon) followed by some whipping.

Now the lather is starting to form up.

Here we go, starting to get some volume…

And now thickening up nicely.

YUM!!! Good enough to eat!

Let's use it!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging