What's new

Jack Black Beard Lube Conditioning Shave

Item Description

Beard Lube by Jack Black is YANLSC (Yet Another No Lather Shave Cream) and is similar to Hydroplane from Billy Jealousy. If you are not familiar with either of these products let me explain: they are thick creams that you can spread in a thin layer over your beard. (Jack Black recommends a quarter-sized amount for one shave.) It won't foam and does not need to be massaged in or mixed with water. Therefore, this is not a product to be used with a DE razor or a straight razor. It may work with electric shavers but I assume most people would use it with a cartridge razor.

I have shaved with Beard Lube using a Mach 3. I noticed that it did clog my razor even though it claims to not clog. My beard was fairly heavy though (about three days growth) so I won't contest that point too much. If you take your time to rinse well between passes you shouldn't have much of a problem. (I had similar clogging issues with Hydroplane.)

This is a "fresh and minty" product. It contains three ingredients that fans of other minty products will appreciate: peppermint, eucalyptus and menthol. These were all quite noticeable after a hot shower.

I did two passes: first WTG then ATG, which is my normal routine. I had some lingering irritation from a previous shave using an inferior (IMO) product and was worried that I would further irritate my skin by shaving. I was pleasantly surprised at the moisturizing effects of Beard Lube. Maybe because it is so thick and rich? Maybe one or more of the ingredients (Macadamia nut oil, jojoba oil, glycerin, or heather) contributed to this... I'm not sure. All I know is that my skin does feel better than it did before the shave. Not bad, right?

The shave wasn't super smooth but it did match the performance of regular canned, foaming goo. The advantage with Beard Lube is that since you use such a small amount the tube will probably last a while and the moisturizing effect is better than the foam products.

One warning: this product is almost translucent on the skin. It can be difficult to tell how much product is left behind on your skin. Pay attention that you don't shave the same area more than once.

All in all this is a decent product but the entry-level price is over $10 so I hope my review helps you decide whether to try it or not. I have seen this product at a few different mall stores (Sephora, Nordstrom, etc) so you may have luck scamming a sample.

HAPPY SHAVING!

Latest reviews

Beard Lube by Jack Black is YANLSC (Yet Another No Lather Shave Cream) and is similar to Hydroplane from Billy Jealousy. If you are not familiar with either of these products let me explain: they are thick creams that you can spread in a thin layer over your beard. (Jack Black recommends a quarter-sized amount for one shave.) It won't foam and does not need to be massaged in or mixed with water. Therefore, this is not a product to be used with a DE razor or a straight razor. It may work with electric shavers but I assume most people would use it with a cartridge razor.

I have shaved with Beard Lube using a Mach 3. I noticed that it did clog my razor even though it claims to not clog. My beard was fairly heavy though (about three days growth) so I won't contest that point too much. If you take your time to rinse well between passes you shouldn't have much of a problem. (I had similar clogging issues with Hydroplane.)

This is a "fresh and minty" product. It contains three ingredients that fans of other minty products will appreciate: peppermint, eucalyptus and menthol. These were all quite noticeable after a hot shower.

I did two passes: first WTG then ATG, which is my normal routine. I had some lingering irritation from a previous shave using an inferior (IMO) product and was worried that I would further irritate my skin by shaving. I was pleasantly surprised at the moisturizing effects of Beard Lube. Maybe because it is so thick and rich? Maybe one or more of the ingredients (Macadamia nut oil, jojoba oil, glycerin, or heather) contributed to this... I'm not sure. All I know is that my skin does feel better than it did before the shave. Not bad, right?

The shave wasn't super smooth but it did match the performance of regular canned, foaming goo. The advantage with Beard Lube is that since you use such a small amount the tube will probably last a while and the moisturizing effect is better than the foam products.

One warning: this product is almost translucent on the skin. It can be difficult to tell how much product is left behind on your skin. Pay attention that you don't shave the same area more than once.

All in all this is a decent product but the entry-level price is over $10 so I hope my review helps you decide whether to try it or not. I have seen this product at a few different mall stores (Sephora, Nordstrom, etc) so you may have luck scamming a sample.

HAPPY SHAVING!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability