What's new

J Hatfield & Co. 6/8

This is one of my favourite razors. I paid £10 for it (grudgingly, my most ornate razor cost less!) but on further consideration, you pay much more for the plainest new Dovo, amd this razor was almost new. Made in Sheffield by J. Hatfield & Co.

View attachment 8051

It had a trace of tarnish on the tang, but this came off with a little autosol, and the whole blade came up really sparkly. It didn't seem to have been used much, hone wear was absolutely minimal. The blade is fully hollowed, almost as much as my Peaso razor, and wafer thin at the edge. A few strokes on the finishing hone had it popping hairs.

The balance is spot on, and it holds a lovely smooth, sharp edge. It's a 6/8 blade, I think this must be my favourite- just the right width. Best of all, the acid etched pattern on the blade looks really smart, and is still really bold. As there was no tarnish on it, I taped over it when cleaning it up, and it is still like new! It irks me to have to clean over them, leaving them really faint.

The box it came with was also like new. I really can't see why this razor didn't get more use- it is an excellent blade, in every respect.

View attachment 8052
Price
3.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness