What's new

Irisch Moos Shaving Stick

Pros: Tallow, easy to lather, nice scent and great performer
Cons: Discontinued
I put a rating on the price even if was free for me. Would I pay the $18 for the shave stick if I wanted it? I probably would but wouldn't only shave with this one. I would save it so I wouldn't buy it very often. It's a nice stick!

This one is a classic by any standards and was discontinued not too long ago in 2011. It's a real shame as the scent is a killer! The scent is close to juniper berries and you can get that fresh pine scent too! This goes in the Green fragrances. So, if you're a fan of fougères, pine, green plant type of scent, this one is for you.

I got to say that I found the aftershave overpowering but the shave stick, is perfect.

It's a great product, easy to lather, comes with his own container. The only thing, with time, that container becomes useless. There's no screw treads, lock or anything. It's a tube in a tube that you push from under and that's it. When the stick is new, no issues. As you use the shave stick, both tubes get used and the consequence is that when you are pressing the shave stick on your face, it can easily fall at the bottom of the tube. I have to push the shave stick while I apply the product which is semi-annoying. I mean, I'm happy that I have a container. It reminds me of a deodorant container. But, it's not perfect, I can't lock it in place...

I know, I'm difficult about my shave stick containers...

Other than that, this soap is made of tallow, well, was made of tallow as we can see in Wiki.

Bottom line is, it's good!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, Slickness, Packaging
Cons: Price
Very nice packaging for a shave stick. I overpayed a little bit, but it can be found for under 15. It's discontinued, which is a shame, because it's and amazing stick.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I purchased 2 fresh new sticks from a seller in Germany. The cost of the soaps plus the shipping puts it right at a total cost of $15 each. Not cheap, but it's about the same as a stick of Tabac. You get 100g, 3.5 ounces. After about 10 days in transit, it was delivered to my door. When the package came in the mail, my wife opened it, and the first thing she said was "It smells good!". She's right. The fragrance is pleasant, masculine, and not excessively strong, while being unique enough to be memorable.

The stick is the push-up type. The soap is firm and easy to use, and anyone who prefers to relocate the soap from the plastic holder into a bowl will be easily accomodated, if they prefer loading the brush from a puck rather than rubbing the soap onto the face. Either way, the soap works just as it was intended, with no nonsense.

There was no problem with raising a nice firm lather. There is cushion, lubrication, and protection, in addition to pleasing fragrance and an enthusiastic lathering propensity, and all of that leads me to call it a no-hassle, world-class shaving soap. I must add that if you can read the ingredient label in the photo, you will see the presence of tallow.

Because of the easily produced top-quality lather, the user will be able to focus on the job at hand: shaving. I had a tight, smooth lather for as many passes as I needed. I was using a relatively aggressive razor and a new blade, and I experienced no nicks, cuts or otherwise. I enjoyed the shave, and I said "Wow", after the experience was finished.

As is my practice, I squeezed the remaining lather out of the brush and rubbed it over my entire face, and left it there for a few minutes while I busied myself cleaning the razor, brush, etc. Afterward, my face felt very moisturized.

I've given the product high marks. This product did not disappoint. I have confidence in it. Irisch Moos soap, along with it's sibling soap from Maurer and Wirtz, has easily earned a place in my rotation.
attachment.php

Discussion thread HERE
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
If we're just evaluating the shave (minus the scent), this gave me my best shave ever. Lathered up easily and the HD just glided through.

Price - $15 bought on B/S/T. Pretty good for a good-sized stick. I milled this into a ramekin.

The scent is a little too Irish Spring for me. Someone described it as that somewhere on this board, and I'd have to agree.

Other than that, it's absolutely amazing stuff. Hopefully the smell will mellow out over time.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Performance: excellent, all-around. I really do not have much complaint. This is described as Tabac with a better scent -- that it is. Have no fear regarding performance.

Now scent... if you are one of the many who LOVE Tabac, then you may think that this soap has a puny weeny man scent. Fine, go use Tabac, quit milling around here complaining.

Now me, I personally do not think Tabac is anything to write home about. It's fine... just... 'eh. Now Harris Arlington, on the other hand, is excellent. This Irisch Moos is much closer to the Harris end of the stick, but probably not all the way there.

The scent is very Irish Springy, sort of a soapy scent at the beginning, with a bit of green and pine middle, and spicy at the end.

Would I buy it again? Not at $15-19 when I could have Harris for the same price. But would I buy this over Tabac? ANY day.

Regards.

J
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Very good shaving soap indeed. Lathers as easy as Tabac does and performs equally well so what to add?

I can get it cheaper from my favourite vendor than what I pay for Tabac.

I like the scent better; Irisch Moos is more soapy/neutral than Tabac. This makes it more suitable for everyday use. Maybe less masculine to some but very pleasant.

Just like Tabac, it dries my skin a little. Easy to overcome with a balm but because of that not my #1.

Very, very good though.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Excellent stuff indeed. It works like a charm and produces copious lather. My skin is fairly sensitive, this soap leaves no irritation whatsoever and delivers a very good shave.
It's only about 5$ over here, so I give it top marks for pricing. When you consider value for money, it really should be 12.
The scent is fresh and "green", probably just right for those who find the Tabac scent too overbearing.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Awesome soap. I milled mine into a bowl because I'm not too fond of the shave stick scene. I love everything about this soap, except the availability! We need a solid US source!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Great soap if you have the patience to wait for it!

Now that this stuff is showing up in the states, we can all enjoy a little Moos.

1) Dinged it on the price a bit...there is still high quality stuff in the states that is cheaper...but hey, we've all dropped coin on stuff we shouldnt have right?

2) Quality...top notch Tallow based soap. Provides a great shave.

3) Awesome clean, Irish Spring-like scent. Notice I said "like," this stuff is NOT Irish Spring.

4) Makes gobs of lather! I just dip the stick in water for about 10-15 seconds...and rub on the stubble. Awesome lather on the face and left on the brush for future passes.

5) My Go-To travel soap. Since I dont like to travel with alot of kit, this soap instantly found its way into my dopp bag. It was made for the travelling man!

6) Efficacy...got the job done I wanted it to do...shave my face!

Overall fantastic soap!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
As previously stated, this soap performs just like Tabac (since it's made by the same people), but has a different scent. I like the scent quite a bit, definitely more than Tabac, and I really like shave sticks(never been able to find Tabac in stick form), so this is definitely a winner for me.

Somewhere between ordering this soap and getting it, I managed to forget this was a 100g shaving stick. This makes the price only half as bad as I originally thought, and.. well.. There's just something satisfying about having such a big stick. :w00t:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I brought my stick of Moos with me on vacation this year (along with my family) and it's been my daily soap. I can't say enough about how much I like it. It produces a rich, cushioning lather and I've had one pleasant shave after another. I enjoy the fragrance too. If it does evoke Irish Spring a bit, I won't complain. It's nice and summery.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I received this as a "PIF". I have enjoyed using it in my rotation. The scent is very strong, but I find the change very good. Overall, I like it.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Now this is a mans soap, I love this stuff. Lather is fantastic !!! scent is wonderful.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This stuff works extremely well. It is rather pricy which I attribute to import charges. However you get quite a bit in a nice plastic tube rather than the bare stick you normally get with stick soaps. The scent is artificial but quite mild. It works very well indeed giving you a ton of lather with very little effort. Now if it were say half the price it would be my go-to soap.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
After missing out on the first lot available on Superlather's site, I finally was able to get a stick from their site. I wasn't disappointed. I dinged it a little on price - it is a little expensive here in the US, but like Tabac, a very high quality shaving soap that generates superb lather. The overall packaging is excellent. All shaving sticks should come outfitted the same way: hefty 100mg stick in a plastic deodorant-like tube with a good quality lid. I don't mind shaving sticks but I'm toying with the idea of slicing a small disk off the stick and putting it in a nice small, covered bowl - I'd have the best of both worlds. I like the scent overall. Other reviewers have noted that this is a good option for guys who like the quality of Tabac but not its scent. It is a little reminiscent of Irish Spring, but more complex and I don't mind it at all. I'm very sensitive to scents and that keeps me from using Tabac more often. The IM, however, while it has a relatively strong scent, is not overpowering. I'll probably order another stick, at least, to keep in reserve.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I like this stick. But, don't really work it into the rotation very often. It does make a really good lather, and I don't usually have good luck with sticks and lather. I enjoy the scent, but I also like the smell of Irish Spring. Seems to dry at an average rate nothing to complain or rave about there.

I have seen a lot of reviews saying they use this as a travel soap. That is a good idea. I am going to pack my stick on my next business trip, because I think this might be just the right place for the Moos.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I brought my Irisch Moos Stick in a drugstore here in (east) Germany and I paid 3,85 euro.

The leather is thick and smooth and the fragrance is wonderful. But I like the Tabac fragrance from the same producer Mäurer & Wirtz more.

I enjoy every shave with my Irisch Moos Shaving Stick and my skin feels good. :tongue_sm:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Gave this a try today with a combination of my Fatboy and a new Feather, and boy, what a fantastic shave. This stuff is slick and the razor/blade combo made for my best shave ever. Highly recommended.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
For me, Tabac is the best performing soap available, but I am not wild about the scent. Irisch Moos is equal in performance with a MUCH better fragrance. Stick format handy for travel.

For similar comparison:
Tabac: equal performance, better smell
Cade: Cade is a step down in perfomance from Tabac, but has better scent. IM has better performance, equal quality smell
MWF: I find MWF to be like using Ivory soap - fine and a bit nostalgic. MWF is a very high performing product, just not as good as Tabac/IM and Cade. MWF has a clean soap/neutral frangrance, Irisch is lightly scented
Pre de Provence: My previous go-to travel soap. Love the subtle frangrance. Not as high performing as as others and big step down from Cade/MWF. IM has better performance, lesser frangrance
Ogallah: Fun to use once in a while, but not really in the same category as first tier products above. IM has FAR FAR better performance.​
At less than $6 for a 100 gram (3.5 ounce) stick, this stuff is a remarkable bargain. Highly recommeded
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Price - I got this as a PIF but have looked into the price and it seems pretty reasonable for a 3.5oz stick.

Quality - This is a nice quality soap for sure and even the plastic tube it comes in is nice and solid.

Scent - I'm a huge fan of Irish Spring and this reminded me a lot of it so I love the scent.

Lather - This thing lathers like a champ. The best lather I've got from any of my soaps, and I have quite a few, and doesn't even require that much product to produce a massive amount of lather in my DB 1.5.

Efficacy - Lather lasts for a long time in the scuttle and doesn't disappear. Nice and cushiony and slick and gives me a pretty nice shave.

Moisturizing - I have oily skin naturally so I don't really know how moisturizing this thing really is but it does leave my face feeling soft and smooth.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)