What's new

Irisch Moos Shaving Stick

Pros: Tallow, easy to lather, nice scent and great performer
Cons: Discontinued
I put a rating on the price even if was free for me. Would I pay the $18 for the shave stick if I wanted it? I probably would but wouldn't only shave with this one. I would save it so I wouldn't buy it very often. It's a nice stick!

This one is a classic by any standards and was discontinued not too long ago in 2011. It's a real shame as the scent is a killer! The scent is close to juniper berries and you can get that fresh pine scent too! This goes in the Green fragrances. So, if you're a fan of fougères, pine, green plant type of scent, this one is for you.

I got to say that I found the aftershave overpowering but the shave stick, is perfect.

It's a great product, easy to lather, comes with his own container. The only thing, with time, that container becomes useless. There's no screw treads, lock or anything. It's a tube in a tube that you push from under and that's it. When the stick is new, no issues. As you use the shave stick, both tubes get used and the consequence is that when you are pressing the shave stick on your face, it can easily fall at the bottom of the tube. I have to push the shave stick while I apply the product which is semi-annoying. I mean, I'm happy that I have a container. It reminds me of a deodorant container. But, it's not perfect, I can't lock it in place...

I know, I'm difficult about my shave stick containers...

Other than that, this soap is made of tallow, well, was made of tallow as we can see in Wiki.

Bottom line is, it's good!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, Slickness, Packaging
Cons: Price
Very nice packaging for a shave stick. I overpayed a little bit, but it can be found for under 15. It's discontinued, which is a shame, because it's and amazing stick.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
WOW What a soap!

Lathers up nice and easy and very thick, stable lather...just like it's brother, Tabac.

It comes only in a stick form but it is housed in a very high quality push-up container. It is also 100g instead of the usual 50g which means it is a much wider stick, making it easier to get the soap on the face.

The scent is heaven! It is quite strong but doesn't irritate my skin at all. It is a great green scent with a heavy-ish spicy/woodsy undertone, I really like it. It is less strong than Tabac (but what isnt?!?) however, it is stronger than most others in my rotation.

It doesn't dry the skin but doesn't add moisture. I gave it an 8 because it really didn't leave the skin any drier. I would give 10 only to MWF which actually feels like it moisturises the skin.

Its a top quality soap in all respects and I feel every shave den should include Irisch Moos.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Irisch Moos.....

The nose friendly version of Tabac. I tried Tabac awhile back :)lol:that rhymes) and thought it was a great perfomer. However, I just couldn't get past the smell because it just flat out stinks.

Irisch Moos on the other hand is not offensive at all and provides the legendary perfomance of Tabac. My only gripe is that it comes in a stick form. I have tried the whole rub the stick on your face and lather with a brush but I find the results to be less than satisfactory. Instead I just swirl my brush on the stick and bowl lather the stuff.

I plan to finish the stick completely but dont know if I will buy it again. If it came it in puck form this would be in my top 3.
I finally obtained some "Moos" and put it to the test.

The fragrance is a little different, but I've grown to love it...at least partly because the smell tells me that I'm about to shave with the stuff.

Like shaving with butter---a great, smooth lather that almost seems to pull the razor head down flush with the skin. Wow.

It was easy to generate, also.

No irritation, face felt soft and supple afterwards.

This stuff is really, really good.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Simstick is great, no doubt about it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This is a great shave stick and a great value considering it's size. It's a way better value than most other shave sticks. It doesn't require much of the stick on the face to produce a great lather for 3-4 passes. Great cushion, fairly slick and a great scent that can accomodate many different aftershaves. It always seems like this is a more luxurious shave stick when compared to others.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
It is made by the same company that makes Tabac, which I consider the best performing soap (it also beats all the creams I've tried). The only obvious difference is the scent which is somewhat similar to Irish Spring original bar soap. Irisch Moos was the first shave stick that I purchased and it is so easy to create rich lather that it feels like cheating. Shave sticks are great for traveling.

I don't understand some of the low ratings regarding price. Most shave sticks are 50 mg and Irisch Moos is 100 mg. I bought mine for about fourteen U.S. dollars.

I like everything about this soap. Hopefully one day they'll come up with Irisch Moos soap in a nice, ceramic bowl. :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
What a great soap...this is about perfect for me. From the stick packaging, to scent and performance.

Price - Is not cheap, but the product is top notch..in this price range it would be difficult finding a better soap
Quality - this is a quality product..I have very sensitive skin, and I don't get any irritation or adverse reaction.
Scent - I love the scent..very unique
Lather - Creamy, thick and cushioning lather
Efficacy - Performance on par with the best of the best
Moisturizing - this soap doesn't dry my skin
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
On the days I use a DE razor, I enjoy roughing up my Irisch Moos shave stick with a nice stiff boar brush and couldn't be more satisfied.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
SIM gives me lots of good, thick lather. I have very good shaves with it. Really like the scent. Use it in the weekends. Weekdays it is ARKO/Palmolive/De Vergulde Hand. Always happy when the weekend comes ;)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Price - I got this as a PIF but have looked into the price and it seems pretty reasonable for a 3.5oz stick.

Quality - This is a nice quality soap for sure and even the plastic tube it comes in is nice and solid.

Scent - I'm a huge fan of Irish Spring and this reminded me a lot of it so I love the scent.

Lather - This thing lathers like a champ. The best lather I've got from any of my soaps, and I have quite a few, and doesn't even require that much product to produce a massive amount of lather in my DB 1.5.

Efficacy - Lather lasts for a long time in the scuttle and doesn't disappear. Nice and cushiony and slick and gives me a pretty nice shave.

Moisturizing - I have oily skin naturally so I don't really know how moisturizing this thing really is but it does leave my face feeling soft and smooth.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
For me, Tabac is the best performing soap available, but I am not wild about the scent. Irisch Moos is equal in performance with a MUCH better fragrance. Stick format handy for travel.

For similar comparison:
Tabac: equal performance, better smell
Cade: Cade is a step down in perfomance from Tabac, but has better scent. IM has better performance, equal quality smell
MWF: I find MWF to be like using Ivory soap - fine and a bit nostalgic. MWF is a very high performing product, just not as good as Tabac/IM and Cade. MWF has a clean soap/neutral frangrance, Irisch is lightly scented
Pre de Provence: My previous go-to travel soap. Love the subtle frangrance. Not as high performing as as others and big step down from Cade/MWF. IM has better performance, lesser frangrance
Ogallah: Fun to use once in a while, but not really in the same category as first tier products above. IM has FAR FAR better performance.​
At less than $6 for a 100 gram (3.5 ounce) stick, this stuff is a remarkable bargain. Highly recommeded
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Gave this a try today with a combination of my Fatboy and a new Feather, and boy, what a fantastic shave. This stuff is slick and the razor/blade combo made for my best shave ever. Highly recommended.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I brought my Irisch Moos Stick in a drugstore here in (east) Germany and I paid 3,85 euro.

The leather is thick and smooth and the fragrance is wonderful. But I like the Tabac fragrance from the same producer Mäurer & Wirtz more.

I enjoy every shave with my Irisch Moos Shaving Stick and my skin feels good. :tongue_sm:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I like this stick. But, don't really work it into the rotation very often. It does make a really good lather, and I don't usually have good luck with sticks and lather. I enjoy the scent, but I also like the smell of Irish Spring. Seems to dry at an average rate nothing to complain or rave about there.

I have seen a lot of reviews saying they use this as a travel soap. That is a good idea. I am going to pack my stick on my next business trip, because I think this might be just the right place for the Moos.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
After missing out on the first lot available on Superlather's site, I finally was able to get a stick from their site. I wasn't disappointed. I dinged it a little on price - it is a little expensive here in the US, but like Tabac, a very high quality shaving soap that generates superb lather. The overall packaging is excellent. All shaving sticks should come outfitted the same way: hefty 100mg stick in a plastic deodorant-like tube with a good quality lid. I don't mind shaving sticks but I'm toying with the idea of slicing a small disk off the stick and putting it in a nice small, covered bowl - I'd have the best of both worlds. I like the scent overall. Other reviewers have noted that this is a good option for guys who like the quality of Tabac but not its scent. It is a little reminiscent of Irish Spring, but more complex and I don't mind it at all. I'm very sensitive to scents and that keeps me from using Tabac more often. The IM, however, while it has a relatively strong scent, is not overpowering. I'll probably order another stick, at least, to keep in reserve.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This stuff works extremely well. It is rather pricy which I attribute to import charges. However you get quite a bit in a nice plastic tube rather than the bare stick you normally get with stick soaps. The scent is artificial but quite mild. It works very well indeed giving you a ton of lather with very little effort. Now if it were say half the price it would be my go-to soap.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Now this is a mans soap, I love this stuff. Lather is fantastic !!! scent is wonderful.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I received this as a "PIF". I have enjoyed using it in my rotation. The scent is very strong, but I find the change very good. Overall, I like it.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)