What's new

Iridium Super

I don't understand why this blade is as expensive as a Feather blade, which by most shavers is considered the sharpest blade. In my experience the Iridium Super shaves like a Derby on the first shave, which means average and like a Merkur on the second the shave, which means horrible. The blade is very similar to the Gillette Yellow. This blade is not smooth. My favorite blade is the Persona (Red Pack) because it is smooth and sharp. The Iridium has many loyal followers which once again proves YMMV! :thumbdown
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
I have tried about a dozen different blades and had the chance to use most of them in a wide variety of razors. After giving all of the blades a fair trial, there are two that I have purchased in bulk; Derby Extra and Iridium. I found the Derby blades to work very well in my favorite razor, a '40s Superspeed and are one of the least expensive blades out there. The Iridiums, on the other hand, have worked well for me in every razor I own, from an open comb Gillette New, to Diplomat and even a Parker 65R. It seems to have the perfect blend of sharpness, smoothness and longevity. It has become the first blade I reach for when trying a new razor.

Price- I recently found them for $44/ 250. This puts them in the middle of the pack price-wise. The fact that they last longer than the cheaper blades makes them very competitive on a cost per shave basis. 8

Quality The best of any blade I've tried. I have yet to get a bad blade. 10

Sharpness Second only to Feathers, and just barely at that. 10

Longevity Second only to Merkurs for me. I get 5-6 shaves/blade 10

Smoothness of Shave This is where these shine. By far the smoothest that I've tried. 10

Packaging They come individually wrapped in a cardboard box with no blade disposal area. They also have glue spots on the corner when unwrapped. 7

In summary, I find the Super Iridiums to have the perfect blend of sharpness, smoothness and longevity. I have yet to find a razor that they don't match up well with.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Prior to trying the Irridiums, my regular rotation included Feathers, Kais and occasionally Bolzano.

These are equal to any of those. Perhaps a bit less sharp than the Feathers and Kais, but not enough to make a difference to me. They are smooth, very smooth; perhaps the smoothest I have experienced.

Only long-term usage will give me more insight into these but I believe them to be equal to the top blades available.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
D
I rank these blades "sharper" then a feather. I like Feathers but find they give a little irritation and I rank a blade based upon how well it performs doing clean up of the hard stubble around my chin. This blade did a better job then the feather does so I rank them sharper. This is based upon one shave though.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I am surely looking forward to using these in my rotation. Got a half-dozen honeys waiting to be loaded from the tuck of 10 I got last week in Bull Goose's Green Sampler. But the Sharks are next up; I am consumed with curiosity about Lord products.
Iridiums are my favorite DE blade. They may be on the pricier side of blades (you can get them as low as $27 per 100 in the right places), but you definitely get what you pay for. Iridiums consistently last 4 shaves for me and sometimes I can squeeze in a 5th. High quality as every blade gives me the same consistent shave. Super sharp, yet oh so super smooth as well. They have become my standard blade to what I compare all others to.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
This is my new go to blade too. Very smooth blade that lasts for many shaves. I usually get 5 shaves from mine when I try. I can not think of a better blade though I did not try the "Swedes".

This blade does not feel harsh like the feather can and DOES last for more shaves.

I shave with a Merkur 23c and an EJ89L when using this blade.
This is my new go to blade. I have greatly enjoyed the irritation free BBS shave I get from these. THey are a little on the expensive side compared to my second favorite RI blades, but they are worth it. They are a perfect match to my Futur.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I have to agree with Slantman. Just got some of these with a new Futur, and got a BBS shave out of the box. I generally get 3-4 shaves with a blade before having to pitch it. Got a good 5 out of the Iridium - all either BBS or almost BBS - and I likely could have gotten 1-2 more. With the Feathers, I generally get a couple of good shaves before they start cutting up my face.

I tried a Crystal and a Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow in the Futur, and they just don't seem to do as well. So, at this point, I love this blade. It's a little expensive compared to some others, but with the extra shaves from each blade, works out to be about the same. If you haven't tried these yet, I would suggest you go for it. For me, these are just great!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Price - These are not cheap, but still cheaper than Feather

Quality - The wax spots are really annoying

Sharpness -Sharper than most blades.

Longevity - Around 3 shaves, average.

Smoothness of Shave - Not really smooth, it made me razor burn

Packaging - Simple cardboard box

Conclusion - These are harsh blades IMO, and not everyone likes them
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
D
This is a great blade, that not only remains sharp enough to provide multiple quality shaves, but also is comfortable. Much hype surrounds feather blades, which in my opinion are only good for one, maybe two shaves. Feather's work great for that first shave, and are even a bit smoother than these Iriduim's, but after that initial shave, tend to tug and pull -- not to mention leave little nicks in your skin! I would say if you like a very good shave for 3-5 shaves, try out this blade. I tend to have a thick beard, so you very well could get more shaves out of the blade, if you have less stubble. The price on these could be a bit lower, but in reality you're saving quite a lot of money using DE blades when compared to throw away razors and cartridges, so I don't think price is a big concern. No real compromises with this blade, let's hope they continue to make them! :001_smile
These are one of the best blades money can buy. They are sharp,smooth and last. I rank them better then the Feathers.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Quality, longevity and smoothness are topnotch.
The sharpness got 9 points from me, because they are pretty sharp but not as sharp as feathers but they come very close to feathers.
Only the price and the packaging are disappointing. On the best offer you get 100 blades for 35$ which isn't little compared to other qualitative blades but it's still alright. And the packaging is miserable. They have glue spots and they come in a simple cardboard box, so far the worst packaging I've seen. But these 2 points of criticism are secondary to me and that's why this blade keeps my one and only.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Being a user of Feather for quite a long time i got tempted to see if other blades were as smooth and as sharp as Feather.
I got through sample packs and all that but not blade came as close as the Feather.
But after have view so much good comments on Iridium i gave them a try.
All i can say is that they are as sharp as Feather but smoother, also they last longer.
Definitely the bast blade i tried so far.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Maybe I am the lone dissenter but i found these blades not that smooth. It has been a long time since i got bit of razor burn and some irritation. My go to blades are Feathers and Crystals so not sure what the problem is for me with the Iridium. For what its is they do not work for me in my DE89L. Different strokes for different folks.....:001_smile
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
The first shave I had with these blades was awsome. I used the feather popular with the Iridiums. It was stellar :wink2: . I then tried them in the HD and they were not as great. Too bad.

A bit pricey compared to other blades. But you get more quallity shaves from it.

Good quality blades! Probably one of the best around.

Real sharp! I didn't hear my whiskers being cut off. And yes, I did shave :lol:

You get good 4 really good shaves from it. Never tried more. I was inpatient to try other blades.

The packing could be better. Dispenser box and loose the glue!

I really loved it in the Feather Popular. Fantastic, unreal shave.

Could someone point out a safety razor in which the Iridium shine??:001_cool: This will be useful for other people out there who love this blade but did not found yet the best razor for it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I had high hopes of these, but for me they are average, at best. They lack sharpness, and are only smooth in a mild razor.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
After sampling derby's, astras, sharks, Red IP's and several others, this blade immediately jumped out as head and shoulders above the rest.

I'm normally 3 passes plus touchups for BBS. Iridiums did it in 2.

I wish they were sub-$20, but they're going to be my preferred blade.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Not much to add to the other reviews, but these are very good blades that are sharp and smooth. Previously my mainstays were Gillette Swedes and UK made Wilkinsons which have unfortunately been discontinued. These blades compare very favorably to the Swedes and are just as sharp. These blades cut through my tough beard hair with ease and they don't tug. They also appear to be a little more forgiving than the Swedes but aren't quite as smooth and forgiving as the UK Wilks. I can't speak to longevity as well as some other reviewers because I always toss my blades after 1 or 2 shaves. When I did use these blades for a second time they didn't seem to have a discernible loss in sharpness. I'm sure I could have gotten at least 1 or 2 more shaves out of them if I wanted to. The only real negative is the price. I wish these blades were a little less expensive. Packaging is a little cardboard box which is fine but I like the hard plastic dispensers more. Overall, this is a blade I would recommend and will be buying in bulk.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Loved these blades and are my prefered ones each now and then I treat myself to them but not too often they are on the pricey side. I had trouble piercing with my thumb the packaging but after open well pretty much like any other carton box I also was annoyed with the glue which almost made me cut myself while separating from the wrapper. These blades lasted me 4 bbs face with slight irritation on 4th that is when I then threw the blade away. These blades come in for a very close shave and smoothness like no other. I'd like to say these bades made my day because they took away all the greyish an electric razor would leave on you after each shave. The sharpness was desirable, and with very little to none pulling (I think I didn't let my whiskers get soft enough in the heat of the shower) asides that results were amazing and quite the feel. OK OK longevity was good, like most blades withstand up to 4th but the sharpness and consistency of the blades. Different blades in the same pack will give you closely the same wonderful result. I'd suggest you try these. Blades of this quality really put the new "modern" razors to shame which is not good news to the Good News razors by Gillette.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)