What's new

Institute Karite

Item Description

I purchased this soap from a member and think its great stuff - lathers easily and provides a comfortable smooth shave. The soap is well made of quality ingredients.

This is a 25% shea butter French soap and my sense is that the shea butter does make a difference (this is consistent with other review of shea butter soaps). The soap provides more of a cushion than the glycerine soaps I use and in that sense is somewhere between a soap and a cream. The other benefit of the shea butter is that it moisturizes, and my experience is that this makes for a smooth shave.

The soap is softer than a tripple milled soap, but harder than glycerine-based soaps, so should last reasonably long, even with regular use.

The smell is a pleasant is a slightly sweet soapy smell - nothing to write home about, but certainly not offensive and will not interfere with whatever A/S or EDT you want to use.

At about $12 - $14 for a standard-sized puck, its right in the middle of the price/value continum.

This would likely be a good soap for people who have sensitive/dry skin or those who want a shaving soap that has a mild scent.

Latest reviews

Pros: Skin conditioning, ease of lather, cushion.
Cons: Hard to find.
Fantastic soap. If you don't mind the mild floral range of this scent, IK is a top notch product in every respect, particularly if you like a soap that doesn't dry your skin. In my top 5.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Latherability, scent.
Cons: Delivery costs from maker.
A top soap, classic French style, shea butter works wonders. Highly recommended.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Every time I use this one, I wonder why I don't use it more. I plan to change that!

The only negative for me is scent. It's not unpleasant by any means, just clean and soapy. Fairly neutral, and won't clash with anything after a few minutes.

However, the lather and performance are just fantastic. Lovely glide and cushion, plenty of "afterslip", meaning just a bit of water between passes will create a slippery film, great for buffing/touch-ups.

One of the least-drying soaps I've used, on a par with Cella, La Toja, and Nanny's.

Partner it with the IK balm, which is also excellent, in spite of the scary ingredients list!

All I can say is I never get any redness, stinging or irritation with these products.

Highly recommended, particularly in colder months.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)