What's new

Institut Karite After-Shave Balm

blantyre;938611 said:
I was both surprised and disappointed to see how many synthetics are included along with the 25% shea butter.

What are those surprising and disappointing synthetics contained in this product?
What can be said about such wonderful product?!

Price: between €21 and €24 here (USD 31 to USD 33, Nov.09 rates) for a 250 ml/8.45 fl.oz bottle it seems right and fair. Avène, Cible, Biotherm (this one will climb to 45/50 USD a tube :thumbdown) or Lab Aramis have the same price for 75 ml/2.5 fl.oz tube for their ASB products. I think those last brands paid the advertising campaign overpricing their products.IK is a niche market here and just have word-to-mouth ad. The plastic bottle will last 7 to 9 months on a everyday shave but YMMV. I think the ratio quantity vs days of use is the best around or a wining one.Some cents everyday for a long lasting bottle.

Quality:perfect, not too thin (as Proraso ASB) or thick (Cade).Just right. No greasy or oily film.

Fights Razor Burn: Yes, wonderfuly.

Cooling:non noticed

Scent: nice.Sugar one, as almonds maybe but it will disappear with time.Not as Aqua Velva 7 hrs after...!!Ask to your GF or SWMBO what she says...All will love it!!:001_wub: You and the ASB!!

Efficacy: Perfect one.

Moisturizing: As above, perfect.

Alcohol burn: Non noticed/none

That said it's my personal choice for everyday.A good thing is the plastic bottle:it can be squeezed gently, upside down, or just a drop; regularly or a thin line from finger tip to palm hand or even the hard way if you're a big face like Cookie Monster but shaved!!

Over time i've abandoned other brands...I just find the right solution why to keep rotating ASBs? But i'm a zen guy and keep things to minimal!!:rolleyes:

My 1st and only choice!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I've always had trouble using aftershaves stinging or causing discomfort, but this cream manages to not hurt at all on all but the absolute worst shaves. I've been surprised a few times as I rub it in and feel nothing at all after I've managed to irritate my skin shaving.

It feels like it "sinks in" better than some balms as well, the AoS I used this morning is still sitting there. The Karite soaks in. I was disappointed to see some of the ingredients but you can't argue with results, and this stuff works great for me so it gets a pass there.

It's more thin and milky but still thick enough to sit on your fingertips.

Cooling sensation - none - but I don't want one.

It's a tad expensive, but so are most of these products so I guess I can't comment on that!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I tried a travel size from eBay and I must say this is a near perfect balm for me. It is thicker than a milk, but not as thick as a pasty ASB like l'Occitane. It contains shea butter and moisturizes superbly. It has a very small, clean scent that fades quickly, which is a plus for me. The only downside is the price, but the 8oz bottle should last a while.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
I also bought several travel tubes rather than a full size. The scent is OK certainly not unpleasant and it dissipates quite quickly. I was both surprised and disappointed to see how many synthetics are included along with the 25% shea butter. The balm does perform very well and I use it in my rotation. It's not greasy, contains no alcohol and works well.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price: Rather than purchasing the 8.5 ounce $27 bottle- I went ahead and bought the 1 ounce $3.95 travel tube to try it out. You can purchase both from:
http://stores.ebay.com/SIMPLE-LUXURIES_Institut-Karite_W0QQfsubZ7862815QQfrsrcZ1

Either way- you are getting a lot of product for the price.

Quality: No complaints here- This is a high quality product packed with 25% shea butter. I was somewhat surprised with the consistency. I was expecting a thicker cream (like L'Occitane Cade), but I.K. A/S balm is closer to a thick gel.

Fights Razor Burn: Keeping in mind that I always use Thayer's Superhazel prior to application, I.K. does what it is supposed to do for me. My skin gets calmed down quickly after application.

Cooling sensation: None- N/A.

Scent: Some have said that is smells like Dove soap. I think it is more similar to a generic scented candle. It's not my favorite scent, and it does stick around after application- but it's a pretty mild-mannered scent that doesn't really interfere with colognes that I wear.

Efficacy: It does what it is supposed to do. It calms down my skin and replenishes it with moisture. After putting this balm on, my skin feels "nourished" if that makes sense.

Moisturizing: To preface, I have somewhat oily, acne-prone skin. I find the I.K. to be extremely moisturizing, but with the added benefit of leaving no oily/sticky residue on my face after application. My girlfriend has commented on more than one occasion that my skin looks particularly nice when I used this balm earlier in the day (since I use 3-4, her taking note specifically of these days is something worth consideration).

No Alcohol Burn: None- 0, zilch, nada

Overall: At first, the scent turned me off and I didn't think I'd refill my supply when I ran out, but its performance is undeniable- my skin is simply in better condition across the board after using it... and as a result I will be buying more in the future.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)