What's new

Ingram shaving cream

Pros: Price
Cons: Hard to lather, scent, not quite enough menthol
I decided to throw this in with a blade order from WCS a few months ago. I'm a menthol junkie, the price was right, and I saw a few good comments about it. I was torn between Lea Mentholated and this, so I gave this the nod.

Price: Very good, I've only seen Godrej, Arko, or Derby cheaper.

Quality: Well....I guess you get what you pay for in this case. Not near as good as Bigelow, or Godrej for that matter. Cream seems not to be as "solid" as others out of the tube.

Scent: Meh. Smells like Fruity Pebbles to me, which I don't even like as a cereal.

Latherability: Well, YMMV and what not, but I can't get near as good a lather as I can from Godrej or Bigelow. Maybe I'm using too much water, as the cream seems to have more water content as the two aforementioned creams.

Efficacy: Not very good, seems to take a lot of product to produce a lather.

Moisturizing Properties: Don't know, usually isn't an issue for me, anyhow.

Packaging: A metal tube, it is what it is!

Overall, the Godrej creams are better for the money (if you can find them locally). I don't like the smell, but that isn't even the dealbreaker. It just doesn't work very well on the whole. There are some other choices in this price range (Speick, Lea), and some excellent performers (Musgo, Bigelow, Proraso, La Toja, etc.) for just a few dollars more.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
I remember I was in England a few years ago on a business trip, and I had to stop off at a pharmacy to buy some shampoo, and I'm sure I saw this cream, but I never thought of buying it. For quite a while, I was hooked on the 3 T's so I never gave the other English creams and soaps any thought, especially something like this one, because it's not expensive at all. It has a nice menthol scent, and very good lather, and a whopper of a cooling effect, which a tender skin would love. The moisturization is also very good, and not much cream is needed to get a rich lather. This is an excellent example of no-frills, or "traditional quality". I give it :thumbup:

Jeff
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Menthol Bomb

For a menthol kick, this stuff beats the pants off of Proraso (and without preservatives and other various chemicals). A top notch cream that I find a true joy to use and will definitely support the menthol habit...

Lathers very well, even right on the face.

It derives its scent from the contained menthol, which I find enjoyable.
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Purchased a tube of this for £1.69 (about $3.26) from a local store, and was taken aback at how good it was.

Lathers well and gave a great shave. Not an unpleasent smell, and is now part of my rotation.

I would almost put it on a par with Proraso...but not quite.
Recommended you go get a tube!!:biggrin:
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I hadn't heard of Ingrams before but spotted it in John Lewis. It was only £1.65 for a 100ml tube and at that price it's worth a punt. This is really good stuff and an absolute bargain at this price. My favourite shave cream is Trumper's Rose but Ingrams will be used on days when I need a bit of a boost as the menthol kick is stimulating and very cooling.

If they charged double the price for this it would still be cheap. Recommended.
A fantastic budget product. Lathers easily, smells good, gives a nice mentholated shave. In terms of efficacy it is a less slick cream and would suit straight shavers. If you have never tried it you are missing a trick. It also contains lanolin so it has very good moisturising properties. For the price its impossible to beat.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Nice mellow scent, super rich lather compared to Proraso and Noxzema. These have been the only creams I've tried. Erasmic tomorow.

Very pleasant product to use.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
After reading positive reviews, I picked up a tube at Pasteur in New York for $10. Your first reaction in compare Ingram to Proraso. It on par but a little different. The menthol is a little stronger. The scent reminds me of hot tea with lemon. It comes in a smaller tube which yields fewer shaves but is good for travel.
If you like frosty, this is your date.

Two things stick out about this cream: Its freeziness and its scent.

The cold you experience is like taking a handful of snow and pressing it to your face, so lovers of the Nordic regions should wallow in it. A must for those who live in hot, humid climes.

The scent is definately "soapy". I liken it to BORAX, which I find agreeable and reminds me of my childhood.

Could be a bit drying on the skin, but the shaves with this have been very good and close. The lather is rich and thick and goes on nicely.

I understand from an online vendor who sells it that the company who makes this is discontinuing it. They have a green version, which I suppose is the menthol version (?), but that will still be made. What is perplexing is that the Blue (being now discusssed) actually outsells the green. Go figure that logic?

A nice cream.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Lathers great and gives a good shave. Lovely fresh scent I really like. However what others describe as a cooling sensation I percieve as burning, I really can't stand having it on my skin for any length of time, guess it must be the menthol (seems to irritate me). If you like menthol this is worth a try - definitely a great cream at a bargain price, unfortunately not for me.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I wanted to like this cream, but it didn't happen.

1. Runny consistency is a total turnoff.
2. It lathered REALLY well though.
3. Smelled great
4. felt great on face.
5. lather started disappearing fast while on face.
6. Felt like I was dryshaving by the end of the first pass.
7. left my face feeling great. not too dry, not too moist.

Overall, it's a pleasant cream, but I was expecting a much bigger menthol kick. I also don't like the way it dries up in about 45 seconds.

Even my lather bowl was pretty much dry by the end.

Disappointed. I won't buy it again.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I really liked it, but I love the menthol creams. I don't believe that it lathers as well as Proraso, but I like the scent and feel better. I only used it once so maybe the lack of lather was my cream-water ratio. I like a thicker consistency, also. It did seem a little "runny".
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
A Proraso Killer!!!

This stuff is amazing. Not only is stuff highly metholated (It's like shaving with snow..cold cold face freezing kind of stuff!!).

Everyone on this forum worships Proraso like some green Italian demi-god. However, as many have noted.. The smell is horrendous!! Ick...
But this stuff..The British know what's up. Ingram smells great.. very clean, old school styled scent. Reminds me of Old School Noxema (you know the one in the blue tub).

It lathers like a champ.. I dont know why someone posted that it is runny. I had no problems getting a smooth creamy lather that lasted for 3 passes, with absolutely no sign of drying out.

As the Great Philosopher Flavor Flav once said.. Proraso "Don't believe the hype!!!!"
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This cream is readily available from Superdrug for about £1.85 a tube. about 14p cheaper even than Palmolive sat next to it. So the price is right no matter what budget you are on.

The cream itself as per other comments has a real 'old school' feel to all elements, packaging, smell, tube design etc.

The cream creates a great amount of lather that doesn't dry at all and is good for 3 passes easily. It has an amazing cooling effect too, nothing else I have tried creates quite that same cooling effect as this. Great for waking up the skin first thing in the morning.

The razor glide seems good with this too, and afterwards seems to leave the skin feeling good and not at all dry. A splash of cold water adds to the cooling sensation afterwards too.

Overall I would highly recommended this, it surpasses a number of creams a good few times it's price :)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I use Proraso, Erasmic, Palmolive and Ingram cream in rotation, as well as Tabac soap and Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad soap. I have to say, that while I llike the smell of Ingram it does not produce as much or as creamy a lather as the other three creams. Using a similar amount of product, Proraso and Erasmic definitely make the most lather and this has the creamiest densest consistency. Palmolove is third and Ingram fourth. It does have a cooling menthol effect, but Proraso seems to give an even bigger cooling kick. I do like Ingram and will continue to use it, but in my opinion Proraso is the best, because of the combination of lather and smell, which I love.
Cheers,
Martin
Just Found this in my local chemist the other week.

Cost just £1.99

I love the menthol hit the cools your face while you shave. It is very addictive!

Price Nice and cheap. £1.99
Quality Nicely packaged and solid tube
Scent Menthol fresh! Like washing your face in ice cubes!
Latherability Easy peasy! Even for a neewb like me with a bodyshop brush!
Efficacy Cover's your face easily with one pass.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
A quality, no-nonsense menthol cream. It's barbershoppy scent is unique, one that I'm fairly neutral about. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. The menthol is more pronounced than it is in Proraso, so it feels cooler on the skin. The lather is perfectly satisfactory. Not outstanding, but not bad either. I'm very middle-of-the-road on this cream. The price is right.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
SIGNIFICANTLY more menthol than Proraso, and I like that. Definitely an interesting part of my rotation, but the lubricating properties and moisturizing on not quite at the same level as its most direct competitor - Proraso - and not nearly equal to my Number One: Tabac.

Make sure you use a new blade and this can give a great shave.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
I bought this from superdrug in birmingham city centre when i went to browse for some shaving stuff. I also got the safe stypticpencil and the palmolive shaving cream. At £1.66 you can't go wrong with this product. It's a Great product.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I can see why this is a favorite, it really is wonderful stuff. For me the best part is the lanolin, I find it really agrees with my skin and hairs, and I think it gives this stuff a slip that a lot of other creams don't have. The lather is very nice, not ultra thick, but I feel Ingram's strength is really in it's slip. The menthol is wonderfully cooling, I'd place it as more than Proraso, yet not as much as Godrej (and I AM a menthol head:). If you like one or both of those, you'll probably enjoy Ingram. The scent is kind of soapy, a little mediciney, but of course part of that is the scent of the menthol; personally, I really like it, quite simple, masculine, and doesn't hang around for too long, but long enough to have a little after appreciation LOL. The moisturizing is good, not great, but far from inadequate. I agree with what some others are saying about the ingredients - I think Ingram is more natural than Proraso, without so many preservatives/chemicals (and I do like Proraso). Many don't like the consistency of this stuff, it's really thin - I like it, myself, and think it's probably part of why this stuff lathers so quickly, although it does take some work "spinning" the brush to remove air. But the result is totally worth it, and I'm amazed that such a thin cream gives such voluminous slippery stuff! Packaging is a nice recyclable aluminum tube.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)