What's new

Ingram shaving cream

Pros: Menthol smell
Cons: Dries on the skin very fast.
As another reviewer said, I really wanted to like this cream. I was using Erasmic and really liked it, but I wanted a menthol product.

It's certainly very menthol and cooling. It took twice the amount of cream to get the same bulk of lather that I get from Erasmic, but it does lather up well.

Unfortunately, the lather doesn't last on the face. It was quite thin and runny and took 2 or 3 applications per pass to give any kind of workable layer. Even then, it didn't last long.

I can't remember when I last drew so much blood! My face felt raw afterwards. If it makes any difference, I was using my Muhle R41

I hate waste, but after only 2 shaves I've had to admit defeat. I went out today and bought Palmolive cream. I've not tried it yet.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Price
Cons: Hard to lather, scent, not quite enough menthol
I decided to throw this in with a blade order from WCS a few months ago. I'm a menthol junkie, the price was right, and I saw a few good comments about it. I was torn between Lea Mentholated and this, so I gave this the nod.

Price: Very good, I've only seen Godrej, Arko, or Derby cheaper.

Quality: Well....I guess you get what you pay for in this case. Not near as good as Bigelow, or Godrej for that matter. Cream seems not to be as "solid" as others out of the tube.

Scent: Meh. Smells like Fruity Pebbles to me, which I don't even like as a cereal.

Latherability: Well, YMMV and what not, but I can't get near as good a lather as I can from Godrej or Bigelow. Maybe I'm using too much water, as the cream seems to have more water content as the two aforementioned creams.

Efficacy: Not very good, seems to take a lot of product to produce a lather.

Moisturizing Properties: Don't know, usually isn't an issue for me, anyhow.

Packaging: A metal tube, it is what it is!

Overall, the Godrej creams are better for the money (if you can find them locally). I don't like the smell, but that isn't even the dealbreaker. It just doesn't work very well on the whole. There are some other choices in this price range (Speick, Lea), and some excellent performers (Musgo, Bigelow, Proraso, La Toja, etc.) for just a few dollars more.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
I picked a tube of Ingram menthol during a recent London trip. I liked it so much I bought four more tubes to take home.

My baseline for comparison is Proraso. Ingram lathers up better then Proraso using less product. The slickness is also superior to Proraso. The menthol smell is similar, although I find Proraso provides a more "bracing" cooling effect. The Ingram tends to dry faster on the face and may need a touch up in the process of a shave. This is not a problem as such little Ingram generates so much lather.

The best part is the price: much cheaper then Proraso. A 100ml tube of Ingram was about $2.60 USD, a little more then half the price of Proraso. Unfortunately the cheapest I find it in the U.S. is $7.00 USD a tube. For that price, the convenience of picking up a tube of C.O. Bigelow at BBW becomes more attractive.

If your ever in the UK I suggest you stock up!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I just finished shaving with this cream and found it to be a very good cream.
It lathers well,although I find it works much better when lathered in a bowl rather than directly on the face.
The menthol is not as strong as Proraso,but feels nice and fresh on the skin.
Where I find this cream is marvellous is the moisturizing.This is from the lanolin which makes this a very unique menthol cream,and might be it's main selling point.My skin felt fresh from the menthol and very healthy and smooth from the lanolin,a great combination in this cream.
So if you like Proraso or any other menthol cream,but whish to try something a little bit unique in the genre,I recommend Ingram's menthol shaving cream.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
The smell to my nose is like Brylcreem. I suppose it comes from the citronella. Anyway very nice smell, but as always this is very individual thing.

The price is pretty good, even when I get it shipped in Canada, however the price is much better in the UK. Even so it comes out at half the price of Musgo Real and is essentially almost the same price as Proraso.

People have talked about the menthol. To my mind the menthol is not as strong as Proraso, but I personally find it more pleasant on the skin, whereas Proraso could become a Menthol burn, the Ingram is a menthol 'tingle'.

The product lather up well, particularly if you face lather, though you do need to use a bit more of the product that some other creams. The lather is very cushioning. I use a straight so a weak cream will get shown up pretty fast. As a point of comparison, in my view Ingram cream is more cushioning than Proraso, but less than Musgo Real.

Unlike Proraso Ingram contains Lanolin and so it is much better for you skin. The product is very moisturizing and I would say it rivals Musgo in this respect. Overall its a great product and every wet shaver should try it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
My favorite so far.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Ingram left me feeling disappointed; not a great lather and not the menthol blast that others had described. Sadly.

It left my face feeling dry and to great personal shame, with horror of horrors, I nicked my face above the mouth...bled like hell. Blame all round but it wasn't my fault, honest guv.

Used an HD 34C and unbranded Israeli blade.

I'll try it again in a week or so when my "wound" has healed, sniffle.
Great stuff for the price and what a wake up call with the scent, it burns you, this out performs cream which are 5 or 6 times as much and i use this in my rotation all the time, it gives a good shave and lathering up is simple, try it if you can get a tube.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Based on reviews here I picked up a tube of Ingram's from Phil at Bullgoose and opened it up this morning. Very nice in deed. Using my Shavemac Silvertip I lather directly on the face and in just a minute the lather was thick and creamy. A nice menthol cooling. Will stay in my rotation
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I can see why this is a favorite, it really is wonderful stuff. For me the best part is the lanolin, I find it really agrees with my skin and hairs, and I think it gives this stuff a slip that a lot of other creams don't have. The lather is very nice, not ultra thick, but I feel Ingram's strength is really in it's slip. The menthol is wonderfully cooling, I'd place it as more than Proraso, yet not as much as Godrej (and I AM a menthol head:). If you like one or both of those, you'll probably enjoy Ingram. The scent is kind of soapy, a little mediciney, but of course part of that is the scent of the menthol; personally, I really like it, quite simple, masculine, and doesn't hang around for too long, but long enough to have a little after appreciation LOL. The moisturizing is good, not great, but far from inadequate. I agree with what some others are saying about the ingredients - I think Ingram is more natural than Proraso, without so many preservatives/chemicals (and I do like Proraso). Many don't like the consistency of this stuff, it's really thin - I like it, myself, and think it's probably part of why this stuff lathers so quickly, although it does take some work "spinning" the brush to remove air. But the result is totally worth it, and I'm amazed that such a thin cream gives such voluminous slippery stuff! Packaging is a nice recyclable aluminum tube.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I bought this from superdrug in birmingham city centre when i went to browse for some shaving stuff. I also got the safe stypticpencil and the palmolive shaving cream. At £1.66 you can't go wrong with this product. It's a Great product.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
SIGNIFICANTLY more menthol than Proraso, and I like that. Definitely an interesting part of my rotation, but the lubricating properties and moisturizing on not quite at the same level as its most direct competitor - Proraso - and not nearly equal to my Number One: Tabac.

Make sure you use a new blade and this can give a great shave.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
Certainly a more refined Proraso Cream
Just noticed my Ingram has gone very runny, but when I bought it it was a proper thick cream, I think it goes runny if stored too hot....... Other than that great product...

Tom
A quality, no-nonsense menthol cream. It's barbershoppy scent is unique, one that I'm fairly neutral about. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. The menthol is more pronounced than it is in Proraso, so it feels cooler on the skin. The lather is perfectly satisfactory. Not outstanding, but not bad either. I'm very middle-of-the-road on this cream. The price is right.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Just Found this in my local chemist the other week.

Cost just £1.99

I love the menthol hit the cools your face while you shave. It is very addictive!

Price Nice and cheap. £1.99
Quality Nicely packaged and solid tube
Scent Menthol fresh! Like washing your face in ice cubes!
Latherability Easy peasy! Even for a neewb like me with a bodyshop brush!
Efficacy Cover's your face easily with one pass.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I use Proraso, Erasmic, Palmolive and Ingram cream in rotation, as well as Tabac soap and Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad soap. I have to say, that while I llike the smell of Ingram it does not produce as much or as creamy a lather as the other three creams. Using a similar amount of product, Proraso and Erasmic definitely make the most lather and this has the creamiest densest consistency. Palmolove is third and Ingram fourth. It does have a cooling menthol effect, but Proraso seems to give an even bigger cooling kick. I do like Ingram and will continue to use it, but in my opinion Proraso is the best, because of the combination of lather and smell, which I love.
Cheers,
Martin
This cream is readily available from Superdrug for about £1.85 a tube. about 14p cheaper even than Palmolive sat next to it. So the price is right no matter what budget you are on.

The cream itself as per other comments has a real 'old school' feel to all elements, packaging, smell, tube design etc.

The cream creates a great amount of lather that doesn't dry at all and is good for 3 passes easily. It has an amazing cooling effect too, nothing else I have tried creates quite that same cooling effect as this. Great for waking up the skin first thing in the morning.

The razor glide seems good with this too, and afterwards seems to leave the skin feeling good and not at all dry. A splash of cold water adds to the cooling sensation afterwards too.

Overall I would highly recommended this, it surpasses a number of creams a good few times it's price :)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
A Proraso Killer!!!

This stuff is amazing. Not only is stuff highly metholated (It's like shaving with snow..cold cold face freezing kind of stuff!!).

Everyone on this forum worships Proraso like some green Italian demi-god. However, as many have noted.. The smell is horrendous!! Ick...
But this stuff..The British know what's up. Ingram smells great.. very clean, old school styled scent. Reminds me of Old School Noxema (you know the one in the blue tub).

It lathers like a champ.. I dont know why someone posted that it is runny. I had no problems getting a smooth creamy lather that lasted for 3 passes, with absolutely no sign of drying out.

As the Great Philosopher Flavor Flav once said.. Proraso "Don't believe the hype!!!!"
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I really liked it, but I love the menthol creams. I don't believe that it lathers as well as Proraso, but I like the scent and feel better. I only used it once so maybe the lack of lather was my cream-water ratio. I like a thicker consistency, also. It did seem a little "runny".
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)