What's new

Ikon B1 Open Comb

Ikon B1 Open Comb
Pros: Close. Comfortable. Effortless.
Cons: Handle is unbalanced and has hard edges.
My first impression (unboxing) was, meh! The handle was longer and larger (in diameter) than I prefer. The knurling is fantastic but the grooves are too deep. They just don't feel right. The weight of the razor felt quite unbalanced. The head is SS with a Proprietary B1 Coating. The head felt too light for the handle. So I cleaned it up with some alcohol and set it down to await the morning shave.
I loaded the razor with an Astra SP (Ikon even provided a 5 pack with the razor). As I started to shave, I couldn't help but focus on the handle and how I was going to have to swap it out to get the razor balanced. By the time I switched my focus to the shave itself, my first pass was just about complete. All of a sudden I realized how effortless the shave was. I did the fingertip rinse for more later and pass #2. Hot damn, this razor in one pass was equal to one pass with the R41. No way! It can't be! Now I'm focused. Today's shave only needs to be a DFS as it's a work day. Second pass complete and NO irritation. I rinse and get ready for a clean up pass. I, like all of us, have a couple trouble spots that always require attention. These areas still needed attention but the razor shaved equal in closeness to the R41 but with much less irritation. So I went for broke and lathered my head. If this razor is this smooth then my head should be easy peasy. One pass, ATG and only a couple hot spots. WOW! I wish that the handle was a little thinner and the grooves were more rounded. Those two issues would make this razor a 100% pure joy for me.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
3.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
ivan_101
ivan_101
Unlike Ralph I bought only the head. This is indeed a very good razor. However with my whiskers closeness of shave is not on par with the R41. Just saying.
Top Bottom