What's new

Hugo Naturals Spearmint Soap

I have also purchased this soap in the Bergamot/Lime for shaving. This soap lather explodes easily, and produces enough lather for up to 4 passes. I liken the lather to the Pre de Provence, though it's not as moisturizing. Overall, it's a great product at a great price. Hugo's line of soaps have many interesting varieties of scents and I strongly recommend this purchase if you're looking to add to your shaving stash. :001_smile
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Well thanks to a couple of members here at B&B I decided to try out a Hugo Naturals soap. I wanted the Mexican Lime and Bergamont, but the local hippie-mart didn't carry that variety, so I went with the Spearmint.

When I got home I trimmed it down to fit into my Old Spice mug, and melted the trimmings in the microwave to cement the bar in place.

When it came to shave time, I used a cheap boar brush (like a $5 brush) to see what the soap could do. After just a couple of swirls in the mug lather and foam were pouring over the edges! I was shocked! My usual shave soap is Tabac (gotta love it!) and I was surprised by how quickly the Hugo lathered.

I went from the mug to my face (which is how I usually lather) and it was unbelievably easy to build a thick full lather. Let me say again....I was SHOCKED at how well this soap lathers.

As for the shave...it was good, but not quite as impressive. I found that it wasn't as slick as Tabac, but pretty close to a VDH or Williams. The moisturizing qualities were ok. I put it as 5 in that it didn't either really moisturize or dry out.

The lather did last for a full shave, but towards the end of the shave it was starting to thin out.

Overall I would rate this product as a solid 8. It would be outstanding for a DE shaver, and only a little less for a straight shaver (which is how I use it).

Granted, I've only had my first shave with it. I will repost any further findings after I've shaved with it for a week or so.

Value-wise...it was only $5.99 for a 6 ounce bar, so IMO that's pretty cheap. My old spice mug is quite full. It is a glycerine soap, so it won't last as long as a triple milled soap, but like I said....for a buck an ounce you really can't complain.

In closing....I would definitely recommend this product to wet shavers. It is good enough that I look forward to trying some of it's other scents.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)