What's new

HJM Black Fibre 21mm synthetic brush

Item Description

This reasonably priced, 21mm synthetic shaving brush features two-color, 2-component plastic handle griving it a truly contemporary feel. A knob-covered indentation makes it easy to grip and fun to use. Great style at a great price.

Design: Jo Zarth, 4.3” (11 cm) in height and 50 g.

Latest reviews

Pros: Great soft tips, good backbone
Cons: none
Fantastic brush, whips up the best lathers I've ever had, even over my silvertips, and its just about as soft. If you can't make a lather with this brush I don't know what to tell you. Great product.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Modern design, quality of construction, excellent replica bristle,
Cons: Cannot find any
An excellent synthetic brush, I have only used with Truefitt No.10 shave cream so far but early results are promising, the brush works beautifully straight from the box and the bristles are incredibly soft and comfortable to use, almost hard to believe they are man made.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Wonderfully soft tips. Quick drying. Product-friendly.
Cons: None
UPDATE 2/2014: The following review was written nearly two years ago. A lot has changed with the brush since then.
My first HJM Black Fibre brush was a prototype that I received seven months prior to this review. It had a loft of 66mm. The brush reviewed here was newer and had a 60mm loft.
Over time, the loft has been reduced to 54mm.
Then a brand new version--Black Fibre V2--was introduced late last year. The new Black Fibre brushes have finer fibers with even softer tips. Because they are also thinner, the brushes are slight denser.
The new lofts on all Black Fibre brushes are 50mm. They have better backbone than the V1 brushes, but are still best characterized as mid-density and mid-backbone.
You will have a very difficult time finding better lather-makers or softer tips on any brush at any price point. Definitely on of the best buys in the shaving world. Guaranteed!
ORIGINAL REVIEW AS WRITTEN:
I received this brush within a few days of its release by MÜHLE. It uses a new synthetic fiber/brush combination. I was very impressed with it. The fibers have features designed into them (visible above in the third photo) that dramatically improve issues reported with the former generations of synthetic brushes. This is truly a new-gen synth!
The brush is offered through the HJM line of affordable, quality products.
My experience with it has been amazing. This is my first synthetic brush, and I didn’t know what to expect. I was surprised at the softness of the tips, its ability to hold water and the fast drying time (about three hours). I think its price makes it a great value.
There is no noticeable break-in period with the brush. It performed as well on Day 1 as it does months later. It has a number of notable characteristics that are immediately apparent:
• ergonomic design
• softness of the tips
• performance
• quick drying time
• economical use of soaps/cream
It quickly became my favorite of the dozen or so brushes I own.
Price: Offers good value at $39 in the MÜHLE catalog.
Quality: Every detail is carried out with extraordinary attention to design, materials and manufacturing detail. The brush lost only one fiber during the months I’ve owned it.
Density: Medium to dense. Very effective to use with soaps and creams.
Softness of Tips: Very soft and luxurious. By comparison, it is noticeably softer than my EJ Best Badger (23mm).
Ergonomic: This brush is outstanding in this respect. The size and shape are perfect for my hands, and the hard-rubber grip inserts are so effective that other manufacturers will likely adopted variations, IMO. This brush is a delight to use daily. It dries completely in about three hours, even under cool, humid conditions.
Latherability: I’ve used it with a wide range of hard and soft soaps and creams, and it performs very well with all.
Recommendation: Highly recommended. The B&B editor is not functioning to allow [color=FF0000]YES[/color] to be shown above.
One of the advantages of this synthetic brush I found, that should be mentioned, is that you need less soap/cream than with natural hair brushes. Synthetic fibers are solid, rather then hollow, and do not absorb lather the way animal hairs do. This also makes them more hygienic, faster drying and easier to clean. My experience has been that it uses soap/cream at about half the rate of badger brushes.
If you’ve been curious about synthetic brushes or great brushes in general, this is a great addition to your shave den. I have seen recently that the Black Fibre knot is appearing on other brushes in their Basic line as well. The problem of water retention in older synths has been solved by features in the new fiber that are visible in the third photo.
This MÜHLE HJM brush contains a new black synthetic fiber that is laced with curly- and forked-strands (see photo), which adds to both softness and water retention. The new fiber was designed to compare in performance with good badger brushes. I think they did even better.
NOTE: The back-lighting used in the photos of the white brush was chosen to highlight details in the fibers. The reddish fibers are not visible under normal conditions. Also, the white brush in the photos is a protootype color. The size comparison in the final photo is to a 23mm EJ Best Badger.
The brush appears in the MÜHLE online HJM catalog as Model 31 P 8 GR/GR.
From the Mühle catalog:
This reasonably priced, synthetic shaving brush features a choice of two-colour, 2-component plastic handles giving it a truly contemporary feel. A knob-covered indentation makes it easy to grip and fun to use. Great style at a great price.
Design: Jo Zarth, 4.3” (11 cm) in height and 50 g."
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)

Item information

Added by
Codfish
Views
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.67 star(s) 3 ratings

More in Shaving Brushes (Reviews)

More from Codfish

• Bamboo SE Razor
    I’ve been a wet shaver for 35 years, and have experience with a wide...
  • R41 TWIST
    The R41 TWIST is my favorite Mühle razor to date, and it’s among my...
  • R89 TWIST
    Mühle's latest addition to the shaving world is the R89 TWIST, a...
  • Infinity Silvertex (synthetic)
    Full review to be posted April 30, 2013
  • R41 2013
    I like the original R41 very much. I've shaved with it 450 times and...
Top Bottom