What's new

Highland Park 12

My favourite single malt. I had my first dram whilst staying at the Lynnfield Hotel next door to the Highland Park distillery mid winter by the coal fire. A moment I'll never forget!

If anyone ever thinks of coming to Scotland make sure you put Orkney and the Highland Park distillery on your agenda. A little out of the way but well worth it.
I went into a liquor store one wintery day.
I said to the clerk,"I'm looking for something with smokey characteristics of Johnnie Black.. but better."
He pointed out Glenlivet which had a nice package deal of a fancy rocks glass and the bottle.. and he saw my reaction was like... eehh that's ok.
He then pointed me in the direction of this beautiful box of what is now my favorite (as of now) Highland Park.
Literally, the packaging sold me.
It cost $45 if I remember correctly.
I use it for very special occassions because I want to savor this.
It's so good.
I can't do the review above me justice but take this for what it's worth.
Aroma
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
View attachment 7175

Highland Park 12, according to Michael Jackson is "the greatest all-rounder in the world of malt whisky." I absolutely concur. Makes a wonderful after dinner malt or with dessert. Without a doubt one of my favorites Scotches I will never go without having at least one member of the Highland Park lineup in my liquor cabinet. A bottle runs around $40.

Color: Deep Brownish Amber

Nose: Honey and heather, faint puffs of smoke, tiny traces of sherry, malty sweetness. Mildly floral with coastal inclinations. Extremely pleasant. The nose becomes sweeter with a drop or two of water.

Palate: Rich fragrant honey, very sweet. Moderately smokey with notes of salt water, flowers and spices. Dries down rather quicky into a malty finish. Coating mouthfeel, syrupy, remarkably smooth. Not as dry with a drop or two of water.

Finish: Warming, honeyed and heathery, dry and lingering. Wonderfully tasty.

Overall Score: 90

The classic all-rounder. Highland Park 12 has managed a very consistent product year to year and always tasty. Highland Park is another good intro Scotch, with it's mild complexity and wide variety of classic Scotch flavors. Incredibly smooth and well-balanced, Highland Park is a definate winner.

Here's a link to the discussion thread.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
5.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging