What's new

Hendrick's Gin

I have been a gin drinker for decades. Favorite is Bombay Saphire on the rocks. but I would never turn down a gimlet or g&t. Of course Taquaray and Bombay or good substitutes. Got a bottle of Hendricks as a birthday present last year. I really wanted to like this gin but the rose scent just put me off. It made a decent enough g and t, but I prefer my gin iced and clean. Back to Saphire for me.
(My observations are insufficiently cohesive to fill out a ratings list: sorry.)
Eric
I'm not going to fill out the ratings as I don't want to produce random numbers that don't have a defined base, as my 7 may be your 10 or vice versa. What I do want to say is that I find Hendrick's to be an exceptional gin compared to all the other brands I've tried (Bombay Sapphire, Gordon's Beefeater, New Amsterdam, Broker's, Glibey's ect.). You pay for the quality in Ontario compared to cheaper gins such as Gordon's or Beefeater but it is worth it, something I wouldn't say about Bombay Sapphire.

Because of the price I would not suggest using Hendrick's in heavily flavoured cocktails as you're like to mask its distinct flavour.

Also definitely try Hendrick's with a slice of cucumber rather then a twist. My usual at my local cocktail bar is Hendrick's, tonic and a slice of a cucumber. A very refreshing beverage.

Like Lelander I too am a sucker for nice bottles/packaging, Hendricks is the only bottle I keep out of the cupboard so far.
Hendricks is my favorite but i only drink it in martinis; in a nearby liquor store we can get the large 1.5 liter for $50. It is a large version of the regular bottle but HEAVIER it also comes with a metal spout
I will do a full review of Hendricks when I once again have some in house. I normally only have it during the warm months, partly due to gin in general (and Hendricks in particular) just seeming like a warm weather spirit, plus the fact that it is a premium price where I live, so doesn't fit into my "everyday beverage" budget. (The last time I checked price it was over $30 where I live.)

As I have stated in the gin discussion thread, it is my favourite gin. In addition to the juniper, rose petal and cucumber components, I seem to recall some other vegetals that I either couldn't pinpoint or don't recall. That may be false memory, so hurry up Spring so I can spring for another bottle!

Lovely, lovely stuff, and I too am a sucker for the bottle. Somehow the bottle makes reinforces the fact that this spirit is made in Scotland. The Scots have now conquered the gin world, IMO!!
During the time I spent tending bar liquor distributors crossed our counter with what seemed like a limitless assortment of spirits directed at specialty markets. Many of these offerings were, from a drinker’s standpoint, unimpressive. After the first dozen samples of what might as well be the same vodka decanted into artistic bottles alongside sugary grain alcohol infused with artificial flavors of every tropical fruit known to science the refined bartender begins to understand the nature of cocktail marketing in the United States, specifically the wide rift between quality, price, and sales. Needless to say, when the representative arrived toting a case of squat, drum-shaped brown bottles and quoting a rather extravagant promotional price I immediately expected another gimmick. The bar manager, of the opinion that Hendrick’s was at least a gimmick that would sell, bought six bottles. The bar staff, myself included, made time throughout the night to nip into that first bottle of Hendrick’s. What I found was rather unique clear liquor equal to the hype surrounding it and warranting further exploration.

Flavor & Aroma:

I like gin, even fairly plebian gins such Beefeater or Gordon’s. I like to relax with gin and tonic or squeeze lemons and create a tom collins. Hendrick’s is nothing at all like those gins. The juniper note initially recalled Bombay Sapphire, which I have oft plied to customers as a nice martini gin for vodka drinkers; however, saying that this gin has mellow, palatable juniper makes it sound far less interesting than it is. Hendrick’s does not derive its character from the pungent resinous punch of its juniper base; instead the citrus, rose petal, and (it’s true) cucumber pull together to make a solid body with a mildly tangy and floral bouquet. It is interesting, it is not your father’s gin, it is good over ice, it is really quite good mixed with tonic. Stirred with ice and served very dry the stuff could spell doom for the ketel one martini.

Price/Value:

According to William Grant & Sons, Hendrick’s gin retails for $32.99. The going rate at my local liquor store seems to be $26. The bottle of the Glenlivet 12 year I just picked up at Walgreens cost me $26 and given the choice I will always purchase inexpensive single-malt before moderately pricey gin. That being said, the stuff will turn more heads sitting on your bar than a bottle of Grey Goose or Bombay and will probably bring you more pleasure to boot. It’s also worth mentioning that Hendrick’s is bottled at 88 proof. That may be a consideration for those who consider such things.

Quality/Packaging:

I am a sucker for a unique bottle and Hendrick’s does not disappoint. The squat package is a very convenient size for being left out on the sideboard and I do not find it embarrassing to do so. It reminds me of apothecaries and old motor oil packaging and retains the most elegant elements of each. There is some silly stuff written on the back of the label which does little to mar the overall package.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Value
3.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
I have been drinking Gin for many years, but untill I found Hendrick's it was always mixed with something. My wife would turn ill at the smell, and no one I know wanted to drink "Pine-Sol" cocktails. That ALL changed after I introduced this to my friends. It has a totally different (flowery, but not in a bad way) taste. The makers recommend drinking it with a slice of cucumber, not lime. Do yourself a favor and grab some. The one comment I have to say is that it does make for an interesting Martini, I myself, would rather use Boodles Gin for that. Cheers!
Top Bottom