What's new

Heinrich L. Thäter Series, 24mm Finest Badger Silver Tip

Pros: Loft and backbone
Cons: The tips are every so slightly scritchy
I bought this brush based on price and looks vs. other silvertip options.

I am not disappointed in the least with my decision. The bulb shaped brush is just right if you're looking for large comfortable face-latherer; but you may want to look elsewhere for gel-like or soft as a cloud tips. It's very close but not quite there.

The handle is a great traditional shape and it lathers like a champ. I would be surprised if it began losing hairs anytime in the next three years of use. A fine product from a proud manufacturer.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
In this review, I will try to tell you about the 24mm, Finest Badger Silver Tip Thäter (Olive Handle). The review is based on using this brush for a good 3 weeks now.

Quality/Craftmanship:
This Thäter came in a beautiful grey box with clear plastic sidings, not unlike the one seen in Robin's review, through which the brush is clearly visible. The brush bristles are nicely wrapped in "bubble" wrap, neatly resting in the box. The Olive wood handle with nickel/chrome base is an absolute beauty. It feels right in the hands (well, at least my hands)...The brush is not heavy and the weight is very evenly balanced between the handle and the bristles.

The Thäter bloom (dry)
View attachment 113048
The Thäter bloom (wet - Side view)
View attachment 113052

Price:
Compared to some of the other Thäter's out there, this one seems a bit more expensive (~$40-$50 more). To me, that is a small price to pay for the beautiful olive wood handles. I gave it 9/10, but even when considering these price points, the quality of this brush make it a real bargain compared to other competitors like Rooney or Plisson...especially that you can pick a similar size Thäter at ~$130-$150.

Latherability:
This Thäter makes a mean lather (see picture below)...or should I say, überlather. It's one of the best I have seen (aside from the Shavemac). I used an almond size amount of CarrieM's BayRum creme + squirt of Glycerin + TOBS Violet soap (by whirling the Thäter in the soap until the tips are soapy)shipping the brush). I whipped the concoction into the consistency I shave with and checked the density and consistency of the lather.

Some stats (# of whips to get the lather to desired consistency):
24mm Thäter: 40 swirls
24mm Shavemac Silvertip (reviewed later): 42 swirls
25mm Shavemac D01: 34 swirls
22mm Vullfix: 54 swirls
25mm Vestavia: 47 swirls

View attachment 113049

View attachment 113050

View attachment 113051

Tip Softness:
The bristles are amazingly soft to the touch and the face...no prickly feel. The Shavemacs (D01 and regular, especially D01) and the Thater are very close, if not the same in this regard...I could not tell the difference. At the same time, the Thäter doesn't feel floppy (see bristle backbone, below)

Bristle Stiffness/Backbone:
I was afraid that the Thäter would not come close to the Shavemac D01 when it comes to backbone. But, after field testing this baby in the field, I am convinced that the Shavemac has competition. The Thäter has a very good backbone. It's bristles are not at all floppy. I don't know much about the 2- versus 3-band debate or camps, but based on what I have read or discussed, I would say that the Thäter has the soft tips of a 3-band and the backbone of a 2-band. Best of both worlds, I guess. it compares very favorably with the Shavemac...I would say both brushes are neck and neck in this regard

Knot Density:
The Thäter is a dense brush...I would say comparable to the regular 24mm Shavemac. I don't know how much bristles are used in the Thäter, but if it's anything like the Shavemac (25mm D01 has 29g, regular Shavemac has 23g), I would guess that it sports a good 25g worth of Silvertip. Anyone considering this as their "go-to" brush, you will not be disappointed. My Vulfix or Vestavia brushes don't even come close.

Summary:
The Thäter and the Shavemac come very close, neck and neck in fact, when it comes to density, tip softness, and backbone. I haven't seen or experienced any other brush that comes close...I admit that I have not used a Plisson or Rooney yet.

Comparison with the 25mm Shavemac D01:
If you are interested in a discussion between this Thater and the 25mm Shavemac D01, look here...Post #17 is where I compare these two.

Cheers,
Robert
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)