What's new

Haslinger soap

Pros: price lather
Cons: none
I picked up a puck of Sandalwood at Merz in Chicago. Best sandalwod scent for a shaving soap or cream yet for me. Easily produced a thick, yogurt like lather. No irritation whatsoever. Most soaps and creams aren't great at moisturizing, hence the lower mark there, but it didn't leave my face feeling tight and dry like some cheaper soaps can. Great product.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Currently I'm using Haslinger Honey for about 4 month. Pretty good, "medium-hard" soap, very easy to load, cheap, produce very good, slick lather.

The scent for me is ok, however I would like it not to stay on my skin after shave.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Stable lather, mild scent
Cons: Aggressive
So far I've only tried the sandalwood version, so this review applies to sandalwood only.

This is a rather harsh soap, not recommended for dry skin. It might be better for oily or normal skin.

Lather is average, nothing spectacular. Glide is quite good but there's not much in terms of cushioning/protection from the blade. Sloppy technique will incur punishment when using this soap. Many creams are better in that department.

The scent is a mild and inoffensive version of sandalwood.

Price is acceptable (€3.50 in 2014), many soaps cost more. However, the Palmolive stick, for example, is both cheaper and works better, imho.

Summed up, an Ok soap for the price, if you have normal to oily skin. Since it doesn't cost much, there's no harm in trying it out.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
This stuff doesn't get enough press on B&B. Its a fantastic soap that lathers easily and provides for glide and cushion. I had used the sandalwood and find the scent to be very nice.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Good protective lather
Cons: None really
I acquired the Sage version of this soap and have used it a number of times now. Overall I'm very pleased with the results. It took me a few shaves to get the water/soap ratio right, but now I get plenty of rich, thick protective lather.

Quality is quite good ingredients include tallow now, so that's always a bonus.

Scent is odd, it smells a bit like squashed ants to me, so I'm glad the scent disappears as soon as you lather up. Maybe that's what Sage smells like, anyway you may enjoy the scent of this soap.

The lather is very good rich, protective and easy to whip up. I find this soap doesn't need much water to get the best results.

Efficacy is very good, my skin is left smooth, calm and no redness. Maybe that's the Sage at work. I find I get very close shaves with this soap, more so than many others.

Moisturising is OK, I can get by with just a splash of Thayers Aftershave, so it's reasonably moisturising for me.

Would I buy it again? Yes, but I might try a different scent next time.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I'd like to mention that these soaps have been reformulated to include tallow now. I find the performance of this soap to be superb. I think if your willing to try this soap you would be pleasantly surprised.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Decent lather
Cons: Smallish puck, hard to swirl, sandlewood scent smells exactly like SpicnSpan cleaner to me.
Not a terrible product, not the best either. I have both the Aloe Vera and Sandlewood scents. AV smells nice, floral and clean, subtle. Sandlewood smells almost exactly like SpicnSpan the household cleaner to me... I remember having to scrub the linoleum floors as a young kid with SpicnSpan and this soap smells just like it to me. My main gripe is the size of the puck, which is tiny, makes it kind of difficult to find a container that will keep it from dancing around while you load the brush. The little plastic container it comes with is absolutely useless, it's too big and too small at the same time. Too big because the puck slides around and too small because the sides are not high enough to keep the puck and lather contained. The soap performs well enough, not spectacular. Overall a little disappointed. Worth a try though.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I've been using the Haslinger Salbei (Sage) soap for some time now and have to say that it has quickly become one of my favourite soaps.
At € 4.50 it isn't really cheap, given the smallish puck, but well worth the price. The soap lathers easily and produces a rich, thick lather. Since the puck is smaller than average, I sometimes use it like a shave stick to face lather, which works just fine. The lather is excellent, actually a great combination of protection and glide. It contains tallow, which is always a good thing, and Sage (Salvia officinalis), which is known for it's anti-inflammatory and astringent properties.
The soap itself has a somewhat medical smell, but the lather is virtually scent-free, which gives any aftershave or cologne free reign.
The shaves were totally smooth, very close and absolutely free of even the slightest irritation. Like any soap, it doesn't really moisturize the face, but it leaves my face less dry than any other soap or cream I've tied.
If you can get it at a fair price: Try it!

The ingredients:

Potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium tallowate, aqua, propylene glycol, salvia officinalis, parfum, arachis hypogaea, potassium cocoate, sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate, Glycerin, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, CI 61585, benzylbenzoate, d-limonen, linalool.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
I have used the Ringelblumen version daily for the past two weeks. In terms of price, the price is reasonable at $9.95. The scent is very light and nice. I like the scent and it is not overpowering. The lather is very good. I have been able to get a nice lather with the soap very easily. In terms of efficacy, very good here as well. The razor glides effortlessly with it and I have gotten consistently very good shaves using the soap. The soap does not dry out my skin thus I give it high marks for moisturizing. I would buy this soap again and would consider some of the other versions of it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I used the Bay Leaf fragrance and didn't care for it. Lubrication was good, but the soap provided no cushion and the lather was just OK.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Lather
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
This soap came as a sample from Bernd at Shavemac. First thing I did was check the ingredients which included Tallow listed as third or fourth.
The scent was nice but I can't tell from the wrapping what it was, the soap was a nice blue color.
It easily produced a rich creamy lather which resulted in a smooth shave. I noticed the soap is soft and might not be long lasting.
I definitely enjoyed it
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
One of my favorite soaps I have in rotation, both the Honey and Ringelblumen versions.

Price is reasonable, quality high. The things that make the Haslinger soaps stand out for me are the non-offensive smells (some soaps smell so strong they make your eyes water; I'm more for subtlety) and the great, cushioning and moisturizing lather it produces without much effort.

As there's always room for improvement, no full scores except for scent, which is exactly my thing.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I've started using Haslinger Sandelholz (sandalwood) as part of my rotation (Old Spice, QED Wild Rose and Yardley were the other favorites) about six months ago; about two or three months ago I noticed that I was using Haslinger almost exclusively.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I like Haslinger soaps. Have a few to try....my current one is Sandalwood...and it gives a great shave. The soaps would appear tho be used more quickly than I am accustomed....but I so what....you get to try out more.

So many soaps.....so little time!!!!

Brian
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
P1010082.JPG

P1010083.JPG

P1010084.JPG

Size comparo VS QED and Tabac
P1010085.JPG

Preparing to lather...
P1010086.JPG

P1010087.JPG

I had to stop using the soap in the blue mug and switch to the standard mug, as it was slipping around too much.
P1010088.JPG

P1010089.JPG

P1010090.JPG

P1010092.JPG

P1010094.JPG

The soap developed decent lather and provided a decent shave. Nice stuff, but compared to the compeition... it is lacking.
Top Bottom