What's new

Guerlain Vetiver

I've been using this since about 1982, although I use it less since I retired. I was once told that I smelled like a walk in the woods.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Refined
Cons: Floral
This is a bit too floral smelling on me. It has legs, some good lasting power and nice layers that unfold as it dries down. But just not a good match for me.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
0.00 star(s)
A true classic fragrance. A nice, well-balanced, floral vetiver with some citrus and a hint of soap. Not strong, so a good summer scent.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
One of the best scents in the world, Vetiver de Guerlain is a true experience that every fan of the fragrances must do. I like the fresh and soapy notes floating near me :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I got my bottle over the weekend and this is an amazing scent. I love it but more improtantly my wife loves it. She said's it's very clean and masculine. I gave it 5 for packaging because it's just a green cardboard box that I throw away immediately anyway.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
proxy.php

Top Notes
Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin, Neroli, Coriander .

Middle Notes
Vetiver, Cedar

Base Notes
Tobacco, Nutmeg, Pepper, Tonka bean, Capiscum.

Wow this stuff is good. I like it more than the Creed Vetiver or OV. It is similar but has more longevity. The Neroli doesn't overpower at the beginning and during the middle period the Vetiver and Cedar are a great mix. The Tonka bean helps to smooth it out and that's what it's like. Smooth and fresh. L'Occitane Vetyver is more rooty and Guerlain is more grassy. They are so different that both can be used without being interchangable. Guerlain is great for warmer weather and L'Occitane for winter months. Of course YMMV.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
It's good, what else can I say? Actually isn't a hell of a lot different from Original Vetiver by Creed. Dryer, a little more vetiver-focused, but the intensity of the citrus sparkle on top is very similar. This isn't that complex, though. Mostly just bright citrus, vetiver, and a little cedar to even it out. Perhaps a trace of pepper in there, too.

I don't think any vetiver will ever really bowl me over completely - but it will never disappoint either, as long as it is done right. And this is done right. Great value for the money at $60 for a 4.2 oz. I hear it's even cheaper online and elsewhere. And it's close enough to Creed's version to make it pointless to spend more on the Creed.

I would say don't bother going crazy trying to find a "perfect" vetiver. Just grab this. Vetiver can't get any better. The bottle packaging is beautiful (although the box is just so-so), the scent is flawless, and the freshness is long-lasting and straight forward. Oh, and a nice soapy drydown. Summer goodness through and through.

Slight Update: Guerlain vetiver irritates my nasal passages just a tad. Actually a bit too sharp with the citrus, and now I'm sure there's a heady cedar/pepper combo in there. but still a nice frag, to be worn sparingly by me.

Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
Truly outstanding; I ordered a tester bottle and got the 4.5 oz. size for a steal compared to reg. price. Very masculine, contemporary, mature. Right up my alley. Definitely gonna stay in the regular rotation!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
This is a nice, solid, well executed man's scent. Very versatile. I can see why it's probably Guerlain's best seller. Well executed, but like all Guerlains, I find it a touch on the light side. My skin sucks scent, and my nose is probably denser than many, and this doesn't seem to last too well on me.

I notice both Guerlain and L'Artisan seem to construct very nice scents that may take a better nose than I have to fully appreciate. I like my frags pretty blunt and to the point.

I think it's going to be one of my go to scents in hot weather. Seems well constructed for the heat, and it might excel then.

It is a bit on the soft side for a vetiver- not as much bite as say Creed's Vetiver.
This is a scent that tends to grow on you over time. The initial blast is a bit much and I can see it putting some folks off, but as it mellows it has an earthy linger that truly makes it a classic vetiver. IMHO one of the better and unique vetivers out there.

The packaging is quite nice, as with most Guerlain products and, if a bit pricey, is still a worthwhile addition to your scent collection. I would not dismiss this scent without giving it a good prolonged chance to impress.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Wow. I went to Sephora today intending to buy this. I'm just glad I didn't blindly order this off the internet. This smell is piercing. Bitter, sharp smell. I sprayed it on the card. Eh.... Sprayed it on my arm.... Then used my other arm to pick up something else for consideration. This stuff smells like something Joe Biden would wear. And I don't mean that to be a compliment.
I went with Carolina Herrera 212 Men.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Am I the only person who thinks he actually smells grass in this?

To me that would be the reason it's a summertime scent, but as was said above, I wear it year 'round. This is my go-to scent along with Terre d'Hermes.

It was my introduction to vetiver and I love it. I'll have to try the Floris someday.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
It is a very intense yet not overwhelming version of vetiver, i think the best ever, it has these wood notes at the end that just make you want to stop doing whatever it is you are doing and relax, i never thought of how a scent can affect your being until i tried this , it makes me feel very relaxed, confident, i feel warm....for lovers of this one i would also recommend opus 1870 by penhaligons. Amazing too.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
This scent has been around, well, since I was a boy. The first take is a bit raw and strong but give it time and it becomes an incredibly intense and complex scent with the power to last all day. A manly fragrance that blows the citrus newcomers away. Very few fragrances deserve to be called classics- this is one.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Picked some up the other day, since I wanted to try another version of Vetiver different from L'Occitane's.

This (the Guerlain) is a much fresher, lighter, and softer scent. To be honest, I detect more soapiness than vetiver, but it is a very clean scent that I enjoy.

This fragrance is well made, and very high quality, I just wish the soapiness was a notch or two less prevalent.

The bottle/packaging is really nice, and I like that it is easy to find and test before buying.

All in all, I enjoy this scent and would recommend anyone to try it out. It will definitely have me looking at other products offered by Guerlain.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)
The title says Vetiver lovers, look no further... I say the fact that you even know what veiver is is thanks to guerlain. No other colgne dominates the usage and market of a note in the way vetiver does.
Now the scent is not for everyone, but this is a classic
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
I believe this is a very nice fragrance, although I don't believe it to be the best vetiver cologne. I much prefer Floris Vetiver, but this is a much more mature Vetiver that probably belongs on a mature man. Nevertheless, I don't have a problem wearing it and enjoy it a lot.

Off the top, I get the citrus, neroli and vetiver. For some strange reason, the opening reminds me of a much more complex Pinaud Special Reserve. The drydown is the fun part. Out comes distinguished tobacco, pepper and soapy notes that meld into and become part of the vetiver quite nicely. I mentioned it being a very mature fragrance, but I believe anyone with the right attitude and demeanor can easily pull this off at any age.

There are better vetiver options (i.e. Floris), but this is a very nice (and fairly modestly priced) introduction into it's earthy, smoky world.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
I've gotta go against the crowd here and say that this stuff honestly smelled like Raid or Black Flag to me. It actually made me nauseous after about 30 minutes. My wife thought it smelled okay though, so there ya go...to each his own! :redface:
I bought a sampler of Guerlain Vetiver and really like it. Its bright scent strikes me as a combination of light florals, citrus, and pepper. It's quite a fresh scent and reminds me of opening the windows on a breezy summer day. I've heard people say the original is better, and I have no reason to doubt them. Regardless, the current version is excellent.

I gave the atomizer a zero because my sampler bottle doesn't have one.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
0.00 star(s)
A very nice presentation, from the point of view of bottle and packaging. USD 28 from a brick and mortar store was delightful.

A fresh bright scent dries down to something more subtle and earthy. A faint touch of soapiness after time might be a concern, but overall - nice. Leaves the oceanic and citrus crowd behind. Instead this is bright at first, then quietly warm and sensual ... musky? But in a more subtle way ...
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)