What's new

Good value with some limitations

Target Shaving Set

For some reason I have gotten into buying shaving stands. Odd, I know. I started with a Swissco (also reviewed) which was around $90. The Swissco is really a fine set with all of the components being top quality.

I had read the reviews on this set which were posted on the Target web site. Most individuals were trilled at the bargain that they got paying less than $30 for an entire shaving set. Here is what I thought:

The Stand
Quality isn’t up to the Swissco, but it isn’t bad. The only downside is that the hanger for the brush is designed for the brush that comes with the set. Its diameter is small and it is likely that you won’t be able to use the stand to hold a different (i.e. better) brush. The razor side did hold my Merkur Barber Pole, but only at the very top where the Barber Pole’s shaft narrows.

The Razor
Sorry, I didn’t try it as it uses “Trac II” blades. However the razor seems pretty lightweight.

The Bowl
An attractive tortoise shell look done in plastic. It is pretty shallow so don’t expect to build you lather in the bowl. With that said, it will hold your soap puck pretty well.

The Brush

The brush is small and light weight. The bristles are made out of…well, I don’t know. They are not badger and I don’t think that they are bristle. I’m guessing synthetic, probably nylon. With that said they don’t hold water very well but they are reasonably soft on the face. The brush definitely works but it takes more effort to get a good lather than either badger or boar. I also found that the brush lost hairs for the 2+ weeks that I used the set exclusively. With that said, the longer I used the brush, the less hair I found in the bowl.

The Soap

The set came with a bar of Kingsley soap, usually about a $3-4 purchase and of useable quality.

The bottom line is that this set is worth the $30 Target sells it for, but the above limitations may make it less desirable for a shaving hobbyist. The biggest drawback is the brush/holder combination. The brush will likely dissatisfy anyone who has used a better brush and the small size of the holder makes it unlikely that you will be able to use the stand with a replacement brush. With that said, I think this set does have a place for someone just starting in wet shaving or perhaps as a nice looking gift (groomsman gift?).
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
3.00 star(s)