What's new

Godrej De Lux

Pros: Good slick, thick, creamy lather
Cons: None
Some say this cream has an unusual scent, I don't find anything out of order. This cream, using my G12 scuttle, yields a thick, slick, creamy lather.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Price, shave, moisturising
Cons: Scent very disappointing.
This product has recently been repackaged and what's worse, reformulated.

The shave is still great, close, smooth and maybe even a bit more moisturising than the original Luxury Lather/Rich Foam.

But that wonderful Godrej scent is gone and replaced by something much "sweeter". It's lost that Olde Time Barber Shoppe scent IMHO.

:(
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Smell, comfort, glide, price
Cons: Packaging?
I face lathered this today. Great smell, a little old spice-like. It is a thick, lush cream. It stuck well to my face with little work. It wasnt flowing rivers of lather, which suits me but thick and rich.

After the shave my face felt great. Moisturised and smooth. Well recommended.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Price, protection, ease of lather
I am reviewing the Godrej Rich Lather product.

I really like this one. Great barbershop scent, easy to lather and cheap as chips. My face loves the lanolin as it does with MWF and this Godrej also features bees wax.

By itself it is a great product but probably a step behind the best of the creams for the ease of the shave. It makes some ground back with its skin soothing properties but I'd give an edge in shaving to proraso, TOBS et al.

You can get a close, irritation free shave with this product but where it really shines IMO is when used in conjunction with a glycerin based soap for a superlather. The Godrej is so cheap to add and it really boosts the cushion and skin soothing properties of your lather. At the price it's a no brainer to add to the den.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I got this for $3. For that price, I wasn't expecting much, but after the first shave, I was stunned. What a fantastic product!

The price is obviously it's best asset. Considering the quality of the product, I would easily pay up to $15 for it.

The scent is certainly a make-it or break-it factor with Godrej. I consider the scent to be masculine, old-school barbershop, maybe a bit synthetic, and strong. Strong means that if you like the scent, you'll be filled with joy. If you hate the scent, well...

Godrej is extremely easy to lather. If you can't lather Godrej, then you're in trouble.

Now for the most important category, efficiency. This cream preforms better than products that sell for ten times more. It has glide, it has cushion, and it softens hair. Send a message to your most stubborn whiskers: with Godrej, you will be cut! Postshave, the alum block doesn't sting my face at all, which means of course that Godrej is doing a great job.

I find that Godrej is moisturizing enough for my skin, but there are products that offer more in this category. Of course those other products make my skin feel oily, so I'll stick with Godrej.

If Godrej was made by a prestigious European company, had tallow, came in a fancy bowl, and sold for $30, it would be extremely popular here. All I care about is if the product gives a good shave, and Godrej delivers in that regard.

I urge anyone reading this to go out and try this cream out. You might just be surprised!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I traded for this with a buddy upon his recommendation, and I was interested but not overly optimistic.

Should have been! It worked great! Almond size dollop, soaked and 1 shake brush, couple drops more water along the way... we are talking lather bomb!

Price: No $$ amount for me, but from what my friend told me 2 tubes over in India cost about $1 USD, so I'd say great price.
Quality: Seemed like good stuff to me!
Scent: My one complaint. It's ok, a little perfumey but not overpowering strong. It lingers just right for hours later. To be honest, it was a "foreign" scent, meaning it reminded me of something I've smelled around non Americans. There's not a darn thing wrong with that, I just wouldnt label it a typical American scent.
Lather: Wow, best I've had. Like a soft whip cream and loads of it. That lather and I coulda hung out all day!
Efficacy: It worked like a charm. I got a great close shave with it!
Moisturizing: I wouldn't say it was the most moisturizing I've used, but it still did a great job. Soft smooth skin.

I say give it a try! And now I know there are different scents to be had, so I will be trying those!
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I've read some good things about this cream and added a tube to my last Westcoastshaving order. I'm glad I did. The price, well, it's not expensive, but it's a small tube so I'd say it's not bad. The packaging is a plastic tube in a box (what more can you say really?). The scent is probably not among my favorites and I do not associate it with the ubiquitous "barber shop" image others have. I think the scent evokes more of a lemon-ish household cleaning product, but thankfully it isn't overpowering and lasts all of about 3 seconds when the shave is over. The shave is what this cream is all about and it does a very nice job. No, it's not gonna wow ya like a top of the line English cream, but the result could fool you. Lathers easily, provides nice glide and is fairly moisturizing. Performance-wise this is now one of my top creams. If you're a cream fan you definitely owe it to yourself to try this "value" cream.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Was a soap guy but started using creams about three weeks ago. Tried about four brands of creams and Godrej Delux has made me a cream only shaver for sure.

Price: I get it for $3 USD at a local area Indian store.

Quality: It seems "top shelf" to me. Heard that it is "top shelf" in India where creams are mostly used.

Scent: Reminds me of Clubman or that babershop smell. In fact I wish it smelled stronger!

Latherability: Easy, almost too easy!

Efficacy: Just like cream frosting on a cake that my Muhle razor loves to slide thru.

Moisturizing Properities: It has lanolin in it and it leaves my face feeling great. In fact I don't need to pre-shave with EVOO as I did with soaps.

Packaging: Plastic tube does a good job of applying cream to my brush. Would of liked a shorter and fatter tube with a flip-top opening but I can live with it.

To sum up this cream in one word, "Amazing"!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I've been using various soaps and enjoying their superiority over canned foam or gel.

While cruising my "Shave Supplies" bookmarks, I found a selection of Indian creams at US $5 per tube. Along with the Old Spice "Original" and one each of Palmolive moisturizing deluxe and refreshing lemon.

I cracked open the Godrej Deluxe first; wanted to see if I agreed with all those positive reviews. Monosyllabically put: Yes! :thumbup1: The lanolin seemed to have made a real difference in its effect on my face.

Having no other cream experience to use as a measuring stick I gave no rating of 10. That wouldn't be fair, IMO. But, I am a satisfied customer, no doubt. I turned on my housemate to Godrej. He also likes it, after swearing there was nothing better than the soaps I'd shown him. Hm.

Anyway, Go Godrej! :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is such a great product. Cheap and works like a charm.

Price: I get a 70ml tube for 5 bucks and a little goes a very long way.
Quality: This is high quality stuff for the price.
Scent: Very enjoyable, old school as they all say.
Latherability: This cream whips up easily to a lush creamy lather.
Efficacy: This is where the cream really shines. A good slick and cushy lather that provides good protection and effortless razor glide.
Moisturizing: Loaded with lanolin.
Packaging: Simple plastic tube in a box. Who cares though.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Well, since I couldn't find this in any Indian grocery I went to I ordered a tube to see what the fuss was all about. I'd heard/read a lot about this cream, so when it came in, I was curious to see if what I'd heard was true. In short, it was. I lathered up with a Gillette SS and a Crystal, both brand new, put some of this on my Wee Scot, and away I went. A quite enjoyable shave it was.

Price: Decent, I think it was ~$9 a tube or so. Average.

Quality: Better than avg. Wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was.

Scent: Not a fan. Yet. But ymmv.

Latherability: Great. Didn't need a whole lot of water, and it was pretty low maintence - didn't require a lot of coddling.

Efficacy: Did the trick.

Moisturizing: Nice. Didn't dry me out at all.

Packaging: Plastic tube, typical box, etc etc Nothing special.

All in all, this was one better than average plus cream. I'd recommend it based on the slickness and cushion you get in the lather and the easy lathering in general. It's definitely worth a check - I'm glad I purchased Godrej. Not digging the scent quite yet, but maybe it'll grow on me.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I have quite a few high quality products to choose from every morning, and it always seems to be a contest between one of them and my Godrej. I own MWF, Edwin Jagger's Sea Buckthorn soap, Provence Sante, and a Mama Bear's, but always go back to this after a day or two. This stuff is fantastic. It smells very nice- clean and masculine, it lathers better than most creams and soaps I've tried, the lanolin moisturizes very well, and the shave is just great, all for under $5 most places.The only thing that I'd change is the tube which I find to be too small.
Godrej Deluxe Lather is good stuff. I won't rate it as top of the line, but certainly something that will get used from time to time in my rotation. If I wanted to toss a tube of cream into my travel bag, this would likely be the one I'd choose.

Price? Got it direct from India to the USA (via eBay purchase) -3 tubes for a total of $12 US (including shipping!) Not bad, not bad AT ALL.

It's a quality cream, no question about that.

Scent is... barbershop! :001_rolle Very Old School and very nice. SWMBO approved. :redface:

Lather is great, easy to make and holds up well. Not as protective as a tallow soap lather though, and not as slick as a glycerin soap, so I have to ding it a couple of points on efficacy. Still a good shave, just not the top of the heap.

I didn't find it particularly moisturizing, but not drying either.

Packaging - well, it's in a squeeze tube, just like I expected! A nice squeeze tube, with thick material, nice graphics. Functional and does the job. No complaints there. It won't be featured in a glass case in the Guggenheim any time soon, however. :001_smile

I've also used the Godrej Rich Foam, and this seems a bit more luxurious. Both are fine, so grab whichever you can lay hands on.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I can only second the above. Very good stuff, only for me with my very sentive skin it gives a little stinging after the shave. Might be the perfume.

Edited to say that after a few times I no longer have the stinging.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Well just a tip to all Godrej lovers.

There are two versions - Godrej Rich Foam and Godrej Deluxe Lather.

Even though I am in India, I have not been able to get my hands on the Deluxe lather in my part of India (Mumbai). We get the wonderful Rich Foam. On checking with a Godrej dealer it appears that Deluxe Lather is for North Indian markets only. I am not sure about the diff between the two versions - but just a piece of information for you all !!
I can't believe more people aren't using Godrej. Seriously, don't walk, but run to your local Indian store and get a tube of Godrej. It's amazing. And the price of $1.99 is amazing! Like most modern shaving cream (think Nancy Boy and The Gentleman's Refinery), Godrej lather doesn't get as foamy as old school creams like Musgo or TOBS. However, once on my face... man.. it's slick and cushiony. And did I say it's $1.99 at my local India's Sweet & Spices? Probably one of the best returns for your money in shaving creams.
I've got a local international market close to the office that specializes in IndoPak goods. I've gone in and bought this and that but after reading a thread or so about Godrej shave cream and then the reviews I thought I'd go and see what they had in the way of grooming supplies. They carry all three varieties (I've not tried the lime though) and for $2.99/tube the price was right. Bought it and tried it the next morning. The cream whips easily into a lather that is more than sufficient for multiple passes. It appears to be somewhat forgiving in the water department. The scent is clean - the sort of fragrance that I (and many others) associate with a barbershop. I'd definitely compare it to any of the three T's for effectiveness. My face never feels tight after using this cream either alone or in a superlather combination. The packaging is a plastic tube in a cardboard box - the upside being the ease of getting all the product out of the tube. I'll be keeping this in the regular rotation.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I bought this, partly based on the review above, and partly because the store where I get all my shaving products is a local indian dairy and importer. He said it was good - and I trust him.

Price - NZ$4.90 (approx US$2.50) - brilliant. Any of the good English creams will cost 10 times that, assuming I can get them.

Quality - comparible with my TOBS. Whips up into a thick luxurious cream very quickly.

Scent - probably my least favourite, but not unpleasant.

Latherability - faultless. Great thick gobs of luxurious cream.

Efficacy - it does the job well. One can't ask for more than that.

Moisurising properties - I loved this. I didn't feel dry and tight skin post shave.

Packaging - pastic tube, can pretty much squeeze every last drop out.

In all, a great price for a fantastic product. It seems the Indians like their shaving products and their past colonial background has given them a great appreciation for a fine shave - and they have not lost it in favour of 'crap in a can'. For anyone in NZ looking for great shaving products, contact me and I will put you in the direction of cheap King razors, cheap Indian Wilkinson Sword blades and an array of fine aftershaves, shaving creams and other shaving products.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
"What shaving cream do you use?"
"Godrej."
"Why?"
"Great shave, cologne fragrance, wife loves it. Terrific feeling!"

Godrej Shaving Cream....the one BRIGHT spot in a man's morning.

What a great little find this was. I've always known that India has some of the best soaps in the world and this shaving cream is right up there with the big boys in my opinion. It explodes with lather. The fragrance is a bit heavy, but I like it. Smells just like Anherb AS gel...fresh, masculine, a little barbershop too.

It feels good on my face. It makes an identical lather to Musgo Real, but doesn't dry my skin or leave it red and slightly irritated like the latter. Provides good cushion and it's VERY slick.

On the whole I think that it's a great cream that's definitely on par with the Big Boys, albeit just a tad lower than Taylor's for me in terms of superiority of shave. And for about $8 or less a tube, it's a steal.

EDIT: I did a little research and found out that the Godrej company is like the Indian counterpart to Procter & Gamble. They make everything from deodorant to refridgerators. I guess that makes this cream more impressive, since the company doesn't exclusively stick with toiletries.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I find that many of the Indian creams agree with me. Whereas many of the English creams I have are pretty much hit and miss. Godrej for me is no exception. Great because I can buy it here locally ($3.49 a tube). Packaging is just a standard tube in a box. Lubricity is great as well as the lather...always makes enough for entire shave and some to spare. The scent is fine since I also have the Lime and Menthol versions. And it leaves my skin feeling moisterized in the end. Overall I will continue buying this cream.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)