What's new

Godrej Cinthol "Deo Classic" Soap

Over a year ago I posted a review of the original Godrej Cinthol soap. a standby in Indian grooming for nearly 60 years. But since the soap market in India is extremely competitive, Godrej decided a few years ago to revamp the Cinthol line. They decided to market it along the lines of Axe and Old Spice here, in an attempt to capture the hearts and minds of young males. The soaps were repackaged and reformulated and a few new scents were added, but the original Cinthol was left alone (and still in production). It would be wrong to discontinue an icon.

So why launch a "twin" soap instead? I have no idea. All I can say is that Cinthol 2.0 -- or "Cinthol Deo Classic" -- has a shiny new wrapper, a bigger bar, and what appears to be a new formulation. The bar is the same old-school green color, but its infused with an even deeper, richer scent than the original. It's the kind of thing I wish they still had here in the US. I'm completely in love with it.

Price: I got mine at Shave-a-Buck for $3 per (125g) bar. Not great, but it could be worse considering this is an imported product.

Quality: The soap appears to be harder than the original. I believe it's triple milled now. It's larger, too. A grocery store-level item, but a good one.

Latherability: Lathers like crazy; thick, creamy, and dense. A definite improvement over the original (hence why I believe it's been reformulated) and on par with high end French soaps. Seriously.

Moisturizing: Doesn't dry out my skin and leaves it soft, like the original did.

Scent: Outstanding. Side-by-side with my last bar of the original, it's noticeably deeper and richer, but it's the same scent...and what a scent! Godrej calls it "classic fougere." "Old school masculine" is the only way I can characterize it. It's spicy, with herbal and woody notes that manages to be very fresh and "clean" at the same time. I wish there was a whole range just so I could layer in this scent. There is a "deo classic" talc, but the scent is subtly different (still love it though). There's also an Axe-style body spray which I've never sampled. But for the life of me I can't understand why Godrej won't produce shaving products with this scent. It's completely unique and completely intoxicating. The perfect smell to wake up to or to refresh yourself after a workout.

Efficacy: An "everyday" soap. Nothing lacking.

Bottom line: Certainly not a luxe propduct by any means but a worthy followup to its older brother. Improved lather and scent makes this a great option if you can find it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)