What's new

Glacier Smoothie Shave Cakes

I was in Juneau Alaska a few weeks ago and happened upon a small soap shop near the harbor called Glacier Smoothie. I am always interested in trying a new shaving soap and I bought their product called Shave Cakes. Shave cakes are not hard like soap, nor are they soft like cream. They are rather like spongy soap; somewhat soft, but they hold their shape. Each cake comes shrink-wrapped in plastic. You'll need a shaving bowl to place the cake in once you've unwrapped it. I used a Shave Cake every day for a week along with a Edwin Jagger razor with a Muhle-Pinsel head and a Derby blade. In short, the Shave Cake is one of the best products I have used. Here is Glacier Smoothie's URL http://glaciersmoothie.com/products.html#cakes You'll need to scroll down the page to find the cakes.

Price: At the store, I paid $11 (plus local sales tax) for a jar of four cakes. Glacier Smoothie's website says that it sells three Shave Cakes for $8.50, plus shipping. At this point, it's hard for me to tell if this is a good value, because I don't know how long each cake lasts. After using the soap for a week, it looks to me that a cake will last about one month if used about five to six times per week.

Quality: The soap's quality is A1. The packaging is quite ordinary. In fact, the four cakes were stacked in a Ball jar.

Scent: I gave this n/a because the cakes are unscented.

Lather: The cakes are a bit harder to lather than either a hard soap or a cream. In other words it takes some more time and swirling in the shaving bowl to get a rich lather. Once you achieve it, however, the lather is very thick, rich and long lasting.

Efficacy: It lubricates very well and leaves a nice cushion on my face. Its ability to last long without drying out on my face ranks right there with the best soaps and creams I have used whether they be glycerin or triple milled soaps or high-end creams.

Moisturizing: Perhaps, this is Glacier Smoothie's best feature. It is the most moisturizing shaving product I have ever used. When I rinsed my face off after using it for the first time, I noticed a slight smooth feeling remained on my face. My face didn't feel "squeaky clean" like with most soaps or creams. With most soaps and creams, my face feels really dry when it's dry after rinsing. With Glacier Smoothie, my face felt hydrated; so much so, that I didn't need any after-shave balm or milk.

On the jar's label, it says " Made in Juneau, Alaska with smooth glacier silt for unbelievably soft skin...because not everything in the wilderness has to be rough." Before I used Glacier Smoothie Shave Cakes, I thought this might be hype. After using it for a week, I can say that it's true. I'm hooked on it.

When I reviewed this soap, I forgot to fill in the ratings form. Here it is.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)