What's new

Gillette Tech Early Version Triangular Hole (1930s and WWII)

Pros: price and aggressiveness
Cons: handle size
I love this thing! This provides the best tech shave ever. I was able to get a DFS on my head and BBS on my face routinely and no nicking. My biggest complaint is the handle. I have large hands and these short handles are bit harder to maneuver for me. It's easy to grip, but hard to wield.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Smooth, forgiving, comfortable razor
Cons: None
This razor is a favorite and is always in my daily rotation of razors. The FH Tech has excellent weight and size. It's easy to use and to find the correct angle with. When I get new or unfamiliar blades the Tech is the go-to razor for testing blades.

The Ball-End version of this razor is equally as good. I like both handle designs but find myself using the FH one more often.

Two pass BBS shaves are my goal and the Tech delivers every time with any blade I have tried.

If you find the Tech to be too mild for your tastes the great thing is that you can "shim" the blade and increase the efficiency of the razor easily. Just take an old DE blade and trim off the sharp edge from each side with household scissors and this is now a shim which you place under the full-sized blade. I have seen and heard of using up to four shims to get the shave right.

I generally use one to make the Tech shave about equal to the SS razor.

If you don't have one get one, they can be tame and docile or wild and aggressive depending on how many shims one uses. It's the manual version of Gillette adjustable razors.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Everything
Cons: nothing
My daily shaver. Mine is a 30's model and is as simple as a rock, easy to use with any blade I try and never lets me down. I would recommend this to anyone wanting a great pre war shave experience. Lather up some good ol' Williams and let 'er rip-like I do! Find one in good shape and it won't disappoint.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I have a 1932 Pat. Canada FH Tech with the triangular slots.
Perfect balance with great grip & just the right level of heft & aggressiveness.
Fantastic when you add a Feather. A comfortable but very close 2 or 3 pass shave.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Effortless shave
I had this razor for a year before I gave it a fair shot. I wrote it off as a beginner's razor, assuming that, as I became more experienced, I needed ever more aggressive razors to get closer shaves. Imagine my surprise when I pulled it out for a vacation trip and ended up with the best week of shaving I had ever experienced. This razor is nimble, with a thin head that easily gets those difficult areas. And with an experienced hand, it easily gives a BBS shave with none of the drama of my most aggressive razors. When I want a slow, luxurious shave and have the time to pamper myself, there are other razors I'll reach for. When it is a regular work day and I just want a quick, effortless BBS shave with no worry of irritation, I grab my Tech.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Heft and feel, aggressiveness is just right.
Cons: None, really, unless you count the three piece design.
I won this razor at auction on eBay last week. Up until now my every day razor has been a 1954 (birth year) Gillette flare tip. I also own a 1956 Blue Tip (weekend + travel use) and a Gillette Milord which I use occasionally for kicks. As much as I love the Flare Tip I have to say this Tech (fits the pre-WWII description) is just wonderful. On the aggressiveness scale I'd rate it in-between the Blue Tip and the Flare Tip, which makes it perfect for my face/beard. I have the 'fat' handle version and I really like the heft and feel of the solid handle. The quality of this razor is first-rate, it's very forgiving, and a 3-pass technique yields a DFS, which I assume means 'd*mn fine shave'. If you're a Red Tip guy this ain't your razor. All others should consider adding it to their arsenal.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Comfortable handle, gentle shave
The Gillette Tech is an excellent example of good, solid product design. A three-piece razor, the Tech reviewed came with the fat handle, and feels well balanced.

Newcomers to the world of wet-shaving may find the three-piece design somewhat challenging, particularly if they have previously used TTO-models, or razors where the head is secured by a screw at the bottom of the handle. However, one may safely grip the head without risk of cutting oneself, as the baseplate will give you protection.

An excellent razor, which I wholeheartedly recommend.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I would agree that the early style tech is SLIGHTLY more aggressive than the later style...Slightly...

I'm a fan of ball-end techs, I have ones with both new and old style heads, and I hardly notice a difference between the two. I do notice a difference compared to the Feather Portable tech style, since that once slices my face to pieces...
I have this exact same razor and I can't think of a single complaint about it. I love shaving with it. It feels like an extension of my hand. The hollow handle, head heavy design works great for me.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
This razor is well worth looking for.

I love the fatter handle. I like it better than the ball end tech.

Gives a great comfortable shave. This is one of my favorites.
The only razor I have that doesn't leave me bleeding when I use a Feather!
This is a beautiful razor for daily shaving. I have several of them. I use it when I haven`t too much time and looking to shave quickly and efficiently :thumbup1:
One of the best razor made by Gillette :001_smile
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Many people are familiar with the long-running Gillette Tech series of razors. They're cheap, plentiful and well-made. This particular review is about the earliest of the Techs-- those with triangular guard holes and flat profile safety bars.

The majority of Techs on the market date from after WWII and have bowed profile guards/lower plates with round corner rectangular openings. These are generally mild razors. However the early Techs, those made before and during WWII, have triangular guard holes and flat profile guards/lower plates. This difference creates a little bit bigger blade gap and, according to some, a slightly more aggressive shave. I agree with that assessment.

proxy.php

These early razors often look identical to later Tachs at first glance. But a close inspection shows a few giveaway characteristics.

proxy.php

First-- the guard bar has semi-triangular holes rather than rectangular ones. Second, the guard plate viewed from the cide has a flat, rather than curved center section.

proxy.php

Pre war Techs can come with either ball handles or "fat" handles. Wartime military examples often having a black plastic handle unique to that model. This sort of close examination can help you pick out an early Tech, if you're looking for it.

proxy.php

Some people tend to group these early Techs with later ones, but my view is that they're somewhat distinct because of these features and because seems just a step more aggressive to me.

The razors have the normal 3-piece construction the Tech series as a whole is famous for. They have the "bar and slot" type blade clasp, like many other designs from that period. The shaving experience is generally mild, though it seems a bit more aggressive than the later Techs. The larger triangular holes also allow more of the lather to pass through the bar. They seem to avoid clogging slightly (though not much) better than the post war Techs. They are lightweight razors, though in the fat handle variety do have a bit more heft than the usual Tech. The quality of the workmanship is generally quite good. They can be found for prices similar to other Techs, usually because the seller doesn't recognize the subtle differences.

So, if you're looking for a Tech that is a little different than your average find, this one might be worth a look. It seems to me it shaves a little bit more aggressively, but still retains a generally mild approach.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)