What's new

Gillette Superspeed aluminum handle

Item Description

Avoid the Aluminium handle version - the aesthetics suck & the shave quality suffers.

Latest reviews

Pros: Easy to use, good price
Cons: Very mild, balance is off
These black tip Superspeeds were made with aluminum or steel handles instead of brass due to war shortages and the razor suffers due to this. The regular Superspeeds are great daily drivers and highlight the craftsmanship of the time. The aluminum black tip seems like a quick fix leading to a very mild shave and too mild XTG or ATG. I think this has to do with the light handle throwing the balance off.

On a positive note, these tend to go for around the same price as a 40's style Superspeed. So if you're a collector they are a rarer razor for a good price.

Overall unless you collect vintage razors or shave just WTG, I would get a Flair tip or 40's style instead.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
I am a fan of all the Super Speeds. The photo appears to be a black tip instead of the Blue. However, I enjoy them all. The Black tip gives me a BBS shave with little of no irritation. The tool fest nicely in the hand, has good balance. What more could I ask for? All I can say is try it, you might become a fan too.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
I shaved with my Blue Tip for the first time this morning, and it was great. Although it is not an aggressive razor, it is very gentle on my neck, which is a problem area for me. I picked mine up at a local antique store for only $4.

I have a feeling that I will like my Slim even better, but this will make a great back up razor for me. Either way, it has retired my Parker to being a 'travel only' razor. :biggrin:
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)