What's new

Gillette Super Thin

Pros: Shave quality, longevity
Thanks to Sergio and Ironhamer for this PIF from down Mexico way.I tested all three blades that were sent to me. As I mentioned in the PIF thread for these blades, they passed the "three shave test", meaning that I got good three accepable (actually, very good!) shaves from the first blade I tested in my HD. I'm conservative with how many shaves I try to get out of a blade, but I used the first two blades for four shaves and got five very nice shaves out of the third blade. In the HD, the shaves were a bit too close for every day use. I then tried the 1904 closed comb and found that I had to do a bit too much work to acheive a good result.The best shaves for me were in the DE87, which yielded shaves almost as close as the HD, but with no irritation at all. Apparently the price is 20 pesos for a pack of five blades, which is about US$2. That puts the per blade price at 40 cents US - a bit on the expensive side for me, but if you can get four or more shaves out of these blades, it might be worth it to buy some.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp and Smooth
Cons: short lived
I am torn over these. I really wanted to like them, but all three of my blades had similar results. I tried them in a Milord, black handled SS and a Slim on 4, using a variety of creams: 2 kinds of Arko, some KMF cool mint, Barbasol Aloe and something else I just can't remember right now. I found with all three blades the first two shaves were awesome. Super smooth and sharp. But after two shave it dropped off. Three and four were mediocre. The second blade I palm stropped after shave two, but I didn't see any improvement. The last blade I ditched after shave three. Interestingly I have seen people say "no glue spots" about these. Mine did have the wax spots, however they were not excessive like on the Russian Gillettes If I had more to try, I would have like to try them in some other razors: Tech, New, Krona, other SS etc. If the price was right, I would buy them and toss after two shaves.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Very sharp, long-lasting
Cons: little rough on the first shave
Part of the PIF campaign, I gave one of these blades a spin in my trusty DE89 that I use to evaluate all blades. First shave showed to be very sharp, if a bit rough on the neck. Second through fourth shaves went very well with just a hint of tugging showing up on the 4th. These can easily sit on the shelf next to the thai super thins and are a great blade. Now it remains to be seen what the pricing and availability in NA is going to be like. I wouldn't mind stashing a card or two.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: sharpness & no glue spot.
Cons: none
Thank you in advance to IronHammer & Sergio for providing these blades. My setup consisted of a Merkur 180 and Proraso soap. The latter I choose as more people have familiarity with. First impression I had was of it's sharpness comparable to Gillette silver blue and Gillette 7 blue. In terms of smoothness this is comparable to the silver blue. Going with the grain, across, then against was effortless shaving under the nose against the grain was irritation free. I felt no pulling even after the second use and in fact if it was possible became smoother! I'm a two time user with any blade so longevity was not an issue for me. I'd highly recommend these blades enthusiastically. Price to quality ratio is outstanding. Thanks again for the chance to review these blades. To all have a great 2012! Thanks for the read!
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharpness, smooth shave
Cons: none
These blades were a PIF from IronHammer. I have only used Feathers, and this is my first deviation from them. My shave was exactly the same every time so as to eliminate variability. I used the blade for one week, 5 shaves. The blade is so sharp and smooth, I thought I was shaving with one of my feathers. Same audible feedback, same close shave. As with the feather, after 2 passes (WTG, ATG) I had BBS with zero irritation. By the end of the week, the edge had mellowed out a little too much for my taste, but YMMV. Overall, an outstanding blade and very comparable to the feather. Thanks to IronHammer for introducing me to this excellent blade!
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp and yet very smooth
Cons: None
I used two blades over a period of a week. I rated the longevity as an 8 because I throw my blades out after the third or fourth shave so I am unsure really what their true longevity is for me. This is an extremly smooth and very sharp blade. So sharp I have to pay close attention to pressure on the first shave. Successive shaves are super smooth and the sharpness is tempered down to a perfect edge that doesn't nick but still cuts extremely well. The packaging is typical of Gillette licensed products being glued onto a wax envelope which is then inserted into a nice, clean paper wrapper. Overall, I would rate these blades among the finest blades I have used including Russian made Gillette Yellows and Gillette Super Platinum and even comperable to the famous Japanese Feathers.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
One of the best blade i have ever been tried..
Specially Thanks for my Friend RobxCarlson.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
These blades are readily available in Costa Rica. Can be bought at any supermarket. The only other blade I have found, just as available and at half the price are the Bic Chrome Platinum. That is the worst blade I have come across. Anyways, the Gillette blades are top-quality all the way. The packaging is simple, but effective. The blades are individually wrapped in wax paper and that is wrapped in the red wrapper. They come in a cardboard box (5 each). The price in Costa Rica is about 550 colones, which is about 1 us dollar. So 5 great blades for a buck found at most grocery stores is not bad at all.

I'm one of those guys that use a blade every day for a whole week and change blades on a designated day. I could probably get more shaves, but why? It would be great to be able to get these in the states, especially since I think the red wrapper with the ol' Gillette logo in the center is kinda cool.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Well, these are my go-to blades. Not as sharp as a Feather, not as smooth as a Derby, but a nice blade at a ridiculous price (I can get a 5-pack for 7 Mexican pesos = 53 cents).

The package is standard card box with each blade wrapped in wax paper and then regular paper. The blade really feels very thin.

I usually toss these blades after the 3rd shave. I really think I could squeeze 1 or 2 more shaves out of them, but at this price, who cares?

If I had to compare these blades with others, I'd put them in the same league with IPs in terms of sharpness+smoothness....not bad! the huge difference is that, living in Mexico, I can get these Gillettes for 10 cents per blade, in a small family store 2 blocks away from home :wink2:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Hi, I'm from monterrey,mx too, and I'm starting a small community of wet shavers with 4 'converted' so far and like 6 in line waiting for the 'tester' kit...I have seen BIC blades ($16 pesos 5/pack) in HEB Contry and these Guillette Mejoradas in Benavides Revolución ($16 pesos aprox. 5/pack). I have several razors, blades, soaps and brushes...PM if you want to trade/buy/sell locally...
I live in Monterrey, Mexico, do you know a place that sells razor blades for DE.

I really dont find any place, so I have to buy by Internet.

I can't believe you didn't really have anything nice to say about these blades because I consider them to be my best kept secret... nobody else knows about the Mejoradas - you can send all yours my way!

I buy mine at a small pharmacy in México whenever I get a chance to cross over and I find them to be consistently smooth and sharp. I think they are one of the best Gillette blades and would be popular if they weren"t so hard to find>
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Hmmmm....where to start and what to say? I am back in Mexico, land of hideously expensive Gillette products and where most men seem to use disposables. After searching many farmacias, these are the only DE blades I have yet to find.

They are priced at about MX$17 - US$1.25 - for a pack of five. they are double wrapped in wax paper with the printed outer wrapper and in a small cardboard carton.

What can I say and yet still be charitable? They are serviceable. Not especially good but not too awful. They are none too sharp but seem to have an edge that bites, if one is not careful. The longevity is not good - about four shaves seems to be the limit.

They took some getting used to and I tried various razors. In my Merkur HD, this blade was a little 'draggy' and scraped uncomfortably. In my 1963 Superspeed it was a little better and less aggressive. Finally, in my 1962 Superspeed Slim Adjustable it varies from "Hmmm, is it doing anything?" to "Ouch!". The preferred razor, thus far, is a Lady Gillette - probably because the longer handle makes for better control.

All in all, not my first, second, third or even fourth choice of blade but if it wasn't for the internet (and a mailbox in Texas) I would have no choice. I daresay, if I stick around here long enough, I shall have to get used to them.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)