What's new

Gillette Super Stainless

D
My father went electric and gave me some of these. If he was using these before, now I know why he went electric. They are horrible. Incredibly, these blades are worse than electric!

I agree with most of the reviews above. I tried two of the blades. My skin has never been so irritated and cut to pieces as with these blades. Even brand new, they cut my face in some places and yet barely cut any whiskers in others. The result after my test shaves was a red rash, cuts, and patches of 5 o’clock shadow, all at the same time. I couldn’t believe that anyone could try to sell such a bad product, and thought that the first blade must have been a manufacturing mistake, but no, the second blade was just as bad.

I recently used up a large supply of Wilkinson Swords made in England that I bought years ago. (It sounds like they are the same Wilkinson Sword razor blades reviewed by Aky007 on this site.) They were vastly superior to the Gillettes that are the subject of this review.

These are the worst blades I’ve ever used. Regrettably, I will have to toss them.

M. Buchart
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
i was hoping id get lucky and be the one person that got along with this blade. sad to say that didnt happen. i cant say anything that hasnt already been said. i toughed it out for 2 shaves. above my jaw line i got a good close shave but the jaw line down it was hit or miss and my skin is ragged and irritated. i wont be shaving with these on my face anymore but will use them in a shavette to trim the back of my neck/hairline.

if you are a collector and find an unopened pack for your display by all means get a pack but for shaving ..be warned.

proxy.php
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
I bought these at a grocery surplus store for $1.99 for 10.

I tried these in my Slim and set it for 5, VDH was my soap of choice.

These are the worst blade I've tried yet. If I had a choice between shaving with these and growing a beard, I'd take the beard.

They were neither sharp nor smooth. The blades tugged at my hair, but left some stubble behind.

I rated longevity at zero because I binned the blade after one pass. There was no way I was going to attempt ATG with this one.

Packaging has a slot in back for old blades. I like that.

Some people have reported different origins of manufacture, which may account for differences in blade quality. This package came from Mexico.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
0.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
0.00 star(s)
I have a pack of these made in Argentina and the ones I have are better than the ones described (these were apparently made in several different countries over the years). Not quite as good as the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless or the Schick Plus Platinums but a bit better and WM Personna in my opinion.
The price however kills the whole deal, I thought I overpayed at six bucks for a pack but have recently saw them priced at ten plus :mad: While the blades seem decent they are nowhere near worth the asking price when you can get over fifty 7 O'Clock blades or nearly 100 Derby's for roughly the same amount of money.
Wp
These are my go-to everyday blades. I have tried Derby's (didn't do much for me) the Israelis, and love the Gillette Swedes. But I love these babies. As for importing I have to import from Canada because no one near me sells them. I get a smooth shave without drag or cuts. I don't know if mine are different because they are made in Russia. I get them Shopper's or WMart for 10.76 (inc tax, less exchange) for 10 blades. Will last 5-6 3 pass shaves.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I just noticed these today at Walgreens (first time I've seen them anywhere in my area). Did not buy them because I still cannot believe they were $15 bucks a pack! And the packaging was rather cheap looking, compared to the Personnas which are far cheaper.
I read all the negative reviews but decided to give 'em a shot anyway. The main thing in their favor is that they're readily available. They are definitely overpriced (about $11 for a 10-pack at my local drugstore). But I've been getting very good smooth shaves out of them with none of the hair-pulling or dragging to which others have referred. They seem to hold up well for a week's worth of shaving per blade.

I haven't tried all the brands by any means, but these don't seem all that bad to me. Everyone's face/beard is different; one man's "can lid" might be another's "gold standard". I think that if you're caught short, you're better off grabbing these than most of the store-brand cheapies. At this price, though, I won't be grabbing them too often.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
At most drug store in Canada, these are $14-$15 for 10 blades - an outrageous price; I think Gillette is really not interested in the DE market any more, the 5 blade crap is far more profitable (with batteries, for God's sake!). Wish I could convince everyone who wet shaves to revert to permanent razors and single blades - the disposables and the multi-blades must add up top tons of non-recyclables. Anyway, these are average blades at an outrageous proce - do yourself a favour and by 100 Derby's and get a high quality, environmentally friendly economical shave that with a little bit of skill and experience can be as good as, if not better than any of those gimmicky multi-blade toys on the market. I say "be a man" and do the right thing.
strat1117;1201622 said:
I saw these at Harmon Drugs for ~ $7.50 for 10! Sure glad I didn't buy 'em.

You think thats bad, the drustore's in my area are selling them for 14 plus tax!! Total ripoff...
I saw these at Harmon Drugs for ~ $7.50 for 10! Sure glad I didn't buy 'em.
Price About $0.50 s blade

Quality Disappointed overall
Sharpness A rather dull blade that did not even cut paper well when compared ot how other blades fared. I felt like I was scraping my skin.
Longevity I never went to a second shave since I was so disappointed in the first
Smoothness of shave Felt like I was being scraped rather than shaved
Packaging Loved the blade bank or safer disposal

OK. I used a Gillette super speed shaver since I remembered it from my college days. I bought the Gillette blade since I used them back them and felt they would pair well with the razor. After one pass the there was stubble left on my neck and I had something of a mild burn and small cut on my chin.
I trashed the blade in the slot provided with the blades and the next day inserted a Merkur blade I had 4 shaves on already.
The result??
Whola! one pass and my face was as clean and smooth as a baby's bottom.

Moral of the story do not buy and use a blade for nostalgia sakes. I shudder to think that back then I thought these were good blades.

If you have any of these blades; just do what I did... simply toss them in the trash.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
When I was first starting shaving with a DE I bought a pack of these overpriced blades at the local Rite Aid. I didn't get a good shave with them then. Now that I've improved my technique I thought I'd try them again.

So I put one in my Slim yesterday and gave it a try. Out of all of blades I've tried these are the worst. They felt dull right out out of the package. Not only did I not get a very close shave I had a significant amount a razor burn.

Dull, overpriced blades that give you razor burn, what's not to like?:rolleyes:
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Longevity
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
1.00 star(s)
I tried one of these right out of the pack last night. Garbage. I new that they were biters so I loaded it up in my tech and still got three weepers and a pretty substantial rash on my adam's apple.:mad:

Tonight I tried one after palm stropping it 4 passes on each side of each edge.
Not half bad. It's no Feather. It's not even a Derby but there was marked improvement. The dragging sensation was gone and the stropped blade felt much sharper. I still had to follow up with a Swede ATG to get BBS but it became an acceptable blade.

That doesn't excuse the price. For the price of 10 of these($7.95), I could have gone in on a 100ct case of BIC Platinums and gotten 50 good out of the box blades.

All in all, not worth the price. If these were $1/pack blades, I would excuse having to strop them to get a decent blade but they're pushing $1/blade so never again. I'll just buy Personas from the beauty supply store for $2.50 if I'm out of good blades ever again.
These blades have to win the Worst Blades for the Highest Price award. If fact, they probaly win the all around award as the Worst Blades at Any Price. Maybe Gillete sells these blades to get people off of DE shaving. Recycled Beer Cans-- implying that they shave like ripped in half beer cans is the best description for the performance of these blades that I have heard.
D
Wow, Rite Aid sells these 10 packs for $9.99!! That is criminal. There is no way these blades are good enough to demand a dollar per blade.
Im new to the whole DE shaving but still figured id throw in my 2 cents anyway!:smile:
So, I give the Gillette Super Stainless a all around 5 cause my experience with blades is limited to store brand blades! With that said i did enjoy using them i got a smooth shave with NO pulling NO tugging and NO irritation just buttery smooth strokes. I too bought them cause i had heard how horrible they were and just wanted to see for myself.Well, other than price i REALLY like them but unless the price drops i wont buy again.As for the packaging pretty simple (packaging doesnt affect my buying, That why packaging gets a 9) but it can be a challenge to get the blades out of the dispenser(-1) other than that all around GOOD blade.

Charles.
I bought these at my local Rite Aid store. Being in a rural area I have a hard time finding blades at all. My wal-mart doesn't carry any and said they "discontinued" them.

I was a bit annoyed when I found these blades to be $10 for 10 blades. I bought wilkinson swords for $1.38 and figured these babies must atleast be a little better because of the price.

I found these blades to have 0 resistance and really just went smoothly across my face. I believe the great shaves were only because I went back to the basics and reconfigured my technique and started using a hot damp towel for 40 seconds on high in a microwave.

Overall I would say these are ok blades but like I said I think it's because of my prep work thats giving me the results I was looking for.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
So far, this is the only blade i have used...

A Walmart purchase at 8.88 for a ten pack (hey wait... i though i heard of blades that cost $0.25 or so each, what gives?)

Honestly, it gives me an "Okay" shave.

By that i mean, i don't pull hairs in the first four days, and it will actually shave you, but the blade is nowhere near as sharp as it could be; My good shaves are more a product of careful prep and good technique than anything truly good to do with this blade.

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of a sampler pack and maybe 100 derbys...
Price
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
1.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Decided to have a quick shave today before my tennis game and since I ran out of blades I decided to try the Precisions (~$1.50 per 10) at Wallmart. The Precisions were sold out so I grabbed the only other brand they had which is these Gillette's at $8.88 per 10 which are made in Russia.

I popped one of these babies into the Fatboy, filled the basin with hot water and lathered up some Proraso.

The first stroke was smooth and clean and cut through my couple of days of hair growth like a hot knife through butter. Subsequent downwards strokes were just as smooth and clean.

After finishing my first pass, I rinsed with hot water, and lathered up for the second round.

On the second round I decided to become a bit more daring so I cranked up the aggressiveness on the Fatboy and I used upwards strokes. The blade did not disappoint me nor did it maim me so all in all, I'd say this is a very good blade on a short notice when you need to tame the hair.

The only irritant that I found with the blade is the dispenser. Upon trying to release the first blade it became stuck with the last quarter part still stuck inside and upon closer inspection there is a little plastic tab in the middle which is not yielding easily... After a minute of coaxing the blade out of the box ever so gently, it finally yielded but I hope this was just a defect in one dispenser.

Summary: The blade is decent but I'd skip the dispenser and the price is just about right for something readily available in large box stores.

As a personal side note, I don't consider myself to have sensitive skin as I rarely nick myself or otherwise bleed when shaving but I can feel that this blade could have adverse effects for people with sensitive skin. So if you have sensitive skin then either use or turn down the aggressiveness of the razor in conjunction with this blade.

Gotta head out... Apologies for the quick review but just wanted to throw in my five cents on this blade.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
All in all I think these are decent blades. Are there better ones at the same price ? Sure. And they also go dull quite rapidly. But if you can't find other blades than these, than they still are a hell of a lot better than those store-brand razors.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)